in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Favorite filler stories!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Favorite filler stories!  (Read 2227 times)

RickDeckard525

message icon
Favorite filler stories!
« on: September 23, 2013, 11:25:28 PM »

Do you guys read filler stories? I do! What are your favorites?

I don't think I'm allowed to make one of those big bold posts that stays at the top forever, but if I could I would, because I want this to be an ongoing forum. Well I guess I'll start if off, but no links because I don't know how/don't feel like it. ::)

Well I always thought it was interesting that the Avon title "Strange Worlds" used the filler stories as their cover illustrations and I never understood that, but I think that is a book with some high filler standards and definitely recommend it.

Fox's Blue Beetle actually printed stories about big blue, but I haven't seen anything like that anywhere else. Those stories actually add a lot of depth to his character for me, although it is very subtle like most of the golden age.

The other thing I like about filler stories is that they are often written by the people who worked on the comics, and it is not rare to see one by Roy Thomas or Will Eisner. I wonder if any of you guys have seen any filler stories by comic writers who were also actual novelist like Edmond Hamilton or whatshername from the Black Terror.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Favorite filler stories!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:27:19 AM »

I like the little factoid fillers. Few stories, let alone fillers, identified the writer so it is hard to tell. Of course some were written by the artists who signed their work. Some of the ads were comic stories and as good as the fillers. I, like probably most of you, enjoy the Voltron strips. When I think of fillers in the SA Boltinoff was the master.
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 11:20:08 PM »

I have been thinking about characters who star in their own fillers and all I have besides blue beetle superman. Most of the golden age dc I have read comes with out fillers though, so I'm not sure. Keep the replies coming... ::)
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 01:27:50 AM »

I imagine that there are some features that started out as filler but became more importatnt over time.

I think that Scribbly started out as filler--something that assistant editor Sheldon Mayer did to fill space in some comics--before it became an established feature.
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 02:19:49 AM »

Hey guys, I am talking about text stories they used to have to do to get the stuff mailed out. Usually about racecars and stuff. I'm not sure what you mean about voltron. The text stories are almost always signed.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 03:40:30 AM »

There were tons of fillers in the old days featuring super-heroes.  Timely ran them all the time.  The All-Winners Squad started out in text stories before ever appearing in the comics proper.  The origins of the Patriot and Vision were put forth in texts.  Stan Lee's first scripting job was a Captain America filler in CAP #3.  Harvey regularly featured Stories Behind the Cover with Green Hornet and the Speed Comics heroes, the latter of whom appeared in semi-regular text teamups.  Black Cat starred in her own text stories in almost every issue.  Quality regularly featured texts of Doll Man, Plastic Man, and the Spirit.  Novelty regularly did the same, iirc, with heroes from TARGET.  As for famous writers doing them, Mickey Spillane did a number of 'em...and signed some of them!
ip icon Logged

RickDeckard525

message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 11:37:58 PM »

*"Besides Blue Beetle IS Superman." I mean to say Superman starred in his fillers.
ip icon Logged

Powder Solvang

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »

I've enjoyed the two page text stories in Fawcett comics. Wartime Wow Comics featured the adventures of Penny Graves, a WAAC who used her wits to overcome Axis spies and other threats to the war effort. In the post-war issues she became a big city detective.
Eando (brothers Earl and Otto) Binder wrote the science fiction adventures of Jon Jarl that appeared in other Fawcett titles.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.