in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group - Anyone Interested?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group - Anyone Interested?  (Read 6443 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Reading Group - Anyone Interested?
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »

I think it would be a really cool idea if CB+ started a "Reading Group".

What I am trying to find out here is not whether people think it is a good idea or not. Rather, I want to know how many people WILL get actively involved. I am not sure how many we need, but enough to mean that it won't fizzle out and die after a couple of weeks.

At the moment the "Rules" are
A comic book (U.S. goldenage) is chosen, along with a particular story (not a text one) that it has. Everyone has a good old read of the book, paying attention to the selected story and then we have a bit of a chat about it all.

For myself I'd be very interested in learning about the art and artists so am hopeful that the more knowledgeable among you (well everyone knows more than me) will get involved and help us (at least me) on the road to comic book enlightenment.

And hopefully everyone involved will learn something.

Thoughts are:

1) It is one book a week

2) For the first few weeks books will be pre-chosen, then when we have the hang of it group members start to pick them.

3) We are currently talking about "standard" english language comicbooks ... but personally I'd LOVE nothing more than to set up other ones say for Pulp

4) I'll make a new section in the forum then each week the book is added as a new topic and comments are made there.

So the million dollar question is "If I set it up will anyone join?"
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Reading Group - Anyone Interested?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »

sign me up
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »

And me.  Like Mark, I think I could learn a lot.  Bear in mind that comics fans in the U.K. didn't have wide access to American comics till end of 1959 and even when g.a. comics started to turn up at cons here, they were mostly too expensive for ordinary punters.  So although I know the obvious artists and continue to learn more all the time, I'm an ignoramous compared to most of the folk on here.  I'm also really curious to see how this develops and whether there will be shouting matches. ;)
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »

count me in as well. Sounds like fun.

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 02:59:39 AM »

I really like the idea. Please consider this a request to join in

-Dave
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »

Five so far ... I thought we also had someone else, but I guess I must have been mistaken:(

I had in mind that at least 10 committed members would mean this had a real chance of success and longevity. To achieve something.

So only halfway to the minimum, maybe there is just not the interest at this time :(

Will give it another week and then either go for it, or call it a day for the moment.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »

Guess I could try!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 05:27:15 PM »

It's the usual suspects, I suppose.  But like Mark, I was sure more would want to have a go, if only for the satisfaction of continually correcting mistakes re. creators that at least 2 folk will definitely make. :-[  Although I am retired, time can be a problem (and it's not just not having a lot left) as there sometimes don't seem to be enough hours in the day.  But, 1 comic a week?  Anyone with a tablet can read on the bus, train or breaks at work - and make notes as they go.  (Do you lucky workers still get breaks?)  ;D

Modifying this to add that I've just caught up with the "Comments on our Books"  and some of what Mark is suggesting is already being done there.  Look at the notes on King of Diamonds and some others.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:30:45 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 11:17:38 PM »

Sign me up Mark! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paxman53

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 11:09:10 AM »

Sign me up as well Mark

Cheers

Graeme
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »

So...when do we start?

RB @ Work
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 07:51:50 PM »

Good question ... and have we enough? I really wanted at least 10 committed. This is a long term thing, say we get them. So should we start in the New Year? Or now??? Will the festivities disrupt things?

O blimey decisions, decisions ....
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 12:59:23 AM »

I'm off during the holidays, but if anyone is working retail, that might be a factor. January 1?
ip icon Logged

PhantomGambino

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: PhantomGambino
message icon
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »

I'm random because I don't think I've ever posted on the forum although I've had an account here for a while. Nevertheless, I hope I can count towards your 10, and I'll definitely commit to long-term participation in the group.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »

Cool ... we are going for it!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »

Silly question?  Since you unveiled our 1st. read, there's been a deafening silence.  I didn't want to post the question on the reading group section in case someone hadn't got the link, so do you want us to start the barney now?  In the reading group section, that is?
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 08:41:06 PM »

Yes, guidance for reflections, please
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »

Yes I have read it. I take it the first story was the one
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »

Yes!!! Fire away in the post i set up for the book!!! i have read the first 3 stories and was about to start so kick it off!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 03:19:46 AM »

Wasn't it decided to do one story in the comic not the whole comic?
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »

Anarchy!  I knew it would be.. even the admsin don't know ..lol! It is a whole book BUT concentrating on a particular story! In this case the first one!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.