in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 14 - Eerie #7

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 14 - Eerie #7  (Read 4835 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 14 - Eerie #7
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »

So as it turned out, last week's Kona was much better than I imagined. I wonder how this weeks' choice will fare?

BIG EDIT!!! I had a blonde moment and wrote this

We are back for our second dose of pre-code horror and hopefully it will do better than Chamber of Chills our first one, which was awarded a big thumbs down.

Whereas in fact I remember now I really enjoyed it and got confused with a "nasty crime" book!

Anyway the book is Eerie #7 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=39533 and the story we are concentrating is the opener "Blood for the Vampire".

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 14 - Eerie #7
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »

The lead story seems intended for many more panels to tell a more complete story.
The beginning was much better than the winding up. The last few panels seem more like an after thought.

I've heard the "You must drive the stake with a single blow" bit before, not particularly logical but much folklore isn't logical.

A bit too green for a vampire. Never cared for green monster skin, and vamps look best when they can pass as human.
ip icon Logged

Lorendiac

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:38:47 AM »

It might amuse you to know that when I noticed the thread title, my first thought was: "Eerie? Haven't I heard of that before? Maybe one of the titles put out by Warren, also the original publishers of Vampirella, way back in the day?"

A little Googling tells me I was right that such a magazine once existed -- I just hadn't known there was a much earlier series with the same title, from another company, also full of scary stories in comic book format! Live and learn! (I've never been all that big on horror comics, you see, so there are probably lots of things I don't know about their history.)

As to the lead story: I really didn't like this one. For one thing, there was a serious lack of mystery in the plot development. We understand exactly what is happening, every step of the way. The author had no intention of letting us wonder if a certain character was or was not a vampire at any given point -- we always knew what was what!

But if anything, the utter lack of meaningful resolution was the most disappointing feature. Rod, the young American husband, fights a vampire, thinks he killed it, abruptly learns he didn't . . . the vampire immigrates to the USA (for no apparent reason) . . . and the story ends with everything up in the air, with the vampire still running loose? What was that all about? It feels more like the beginning of a lengthy serial than like a complete story, but it said "THE END" in the final panel; not "To Be Continued!"

On second thought, I guess there is one very minor mystery here -- why the long, long gap (implicitly a matter of several decades -- say, fifty years or more?) between the time when the villagers failed to find the vampire's body in the proper place in the family vaults, and the much later time when the American couple came over to check out the wife's inheritance, and accidentally found the vampire's coffin sitting right out in plain sight in the cellar?

That gap really needed to be filled. What had the vampire been doing for the last 50 years (or however long it had been), if it had not been killing people, and thus had not been making the villagers mad enough to get them to invade the place during the middle of the day and locate its coffin (not a difficult task, as we saw) and do the whole wooden stake business themselves? As they had originally tried to do with an invasion of the family vaults? Did it just hibernate for all that time so they'd lose interest? If so, just how long does the author think a vampire can survive without drinking its next dose of human blood? (I suppose it could have been doing what Louis tried for a while in Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire" -- live on the blood of rats for as long as possible -- but there's no hint of that!)

Looking back on it, one other thing that bothers me is a loose end that never went anywhere. The writer makes a point, early on, of telling us that the Lustvegs have a little girl, Anna, but no other children, until they find the abandoned baby whom they name Erik. We see Anna get older over the next couple of pages -- and then we see just one panel of her as an adult. (If Erik is 20 at this point, she must have been what, at least 24 or 25?) That's on the night when Erik starts murdering people. While he's killing Mr. Lustveg, Anna is in the foreground, a beautiful woman with light brown hair, wearing a green nightgown or something which reveals both some cleavage and her legs, and she is frantically calling for help.

I believe I was initially working on the theory that Anna existed in the story because she was actually going to play a significant role in the plot. For instance, perhaps some courageous young man would come along and, with her help, outwit and destroy Vampire Erik, and then Anna and her new sweetheart would smooch and decide to get married and run the family business (the inn) together.

What I didn't anticipate was a) Anna having nothing whatsoever to do with the eventual "defeat" of Vampire Erik (such as it was), and b) the writer never even telling us whether or not poor Anna survived that awful night when Erik seems to have killed a guest of the inn, followed by her parents when they discovered the first murder. (Or maybe he just killed her dad? I'm not clear on what happened to Mrs. Lustveg; she's never heard from again, either!) It seems as if Anna only existed in the tale for the purpose of growing up to eventually provide the artist with a quick excuse for a "cheesecake shot" . . . and then the writer couldn't even be bothered to kill her or save her, but simply forgot about her, leaving her hanging in limbo, neither dead nor alive! (Kind of like Schrodinger's Cat, I suppose. Until you open the box to check, the poor animal supposedly is neither alive nor dead, but merely an unresolved cloud of quantum probabilities waiting for an observer to come along?)

P.S. Unlike Captain Audio, I had never before heard of the concept of "when you're driving a stake into a vampire's heart, trying too hard becomes counterproductive."

(It seems to me that if the first blow, with wood penetrating the heart, actually kills it instantly -- which has long been my understanding of the subject -- then the number of follow-up blows, if any, ought to be meaningless. I wonder what would happen if I drove the stake into its heart with the first blow, waited a few months, and then tapped the stake with a hammer a second time?)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:44:28 AM by Lorendiac »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »

P.S. Unlike Captain Audio, I had never before heard of the concept of "when you're driving a stake into a vampire's heart, trying too hard becomes counterproductive."

(It seems to me that if the first blow, with wood penetrating the heart, actually kills it instantly -- which has long been my understanding of the subject -- then the number of follow-up blows, if any, ought to be meaningless. I wonder what would happen if I drove the stake into its heart with the first blow, waited a few months, and then tapped the stake with a hammer a second time?)

Like I said it does not seem logical. It could be that if the first blow does not have enough force to pin the vampire into the coffin that the undeads heart may not be shocked enough by the impact to be completely rendered inanimate. It might even wriggle about in the corpse to avoid impalement, slipping to one side.

Another possibility is pinning both the body and the spirit into the coffin, otherwise the undead spirit might escape the body and could migrate to another dead body or animal, or walk as a revenant without material substance till it found a body.
I think I've seen something similar to the latter theory in an old non Christopher Lee Hammer Film.
Something similar is part of the plot of a horror story set in WW1, when the corpse of an undead German soldier is vaporised by an artillery barrage, and in spirit form he haunts a wounded British soldier trying to take over his body.

Originally all suicides were staked to pin the body in the coffin and usually beheaded, before burial at a cross roads. Staking was intended to prevent either body or spirit from rising from the grave. It was a preventative measure rather than a final solution.

PS
As I said theres a lot missing from this story, and the end seems an after thought. Like someone picked up an unfinished story and rushed to finish it to meet a deadline.
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 01:26:40 AM »

Oy, yet another horror comic we should read now?  And we haven't even gotten to a romance title yet.   :)

Looks like the best thing about this comic is the Kinstler contents page... well, that and the splash page to our featured story... and as far as Kinstler contents pages go, I've seen better.
ip icon Logged

Lorendiac

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 01:44:06 AM »

Originally all suicides were staked to pin the body in the coffin and usually beheaded, before burial at a cross roads. Staking was intended to prevent either body or spirit from rising from the grave. It was a preventative measure rather than a final solution.

Just to mention -- I have read a fair amount of vampire fiction, and some nonfictional summaries of the folklore, in my day, so I remember being surprised, long ago, by such ideas as "a suicide case may spontaneously rise from the dead as a vampire, even if he was never bitten by one. The necessary precautions (to prevent this) include chopping off the head and burying the body at a crossroads." I just hadn't heard the bit about "overdoing it with pounding a stake through the heart is just as bad as not using a stake at all!"

Now that you mention it, though, I do seem to recall that some vampire fiction has worked on the theory that the stake is more of an On/Off switch, rather than a final solution to the problem. For instance, some writers work on the theory that a stake in the heart can simply leave the vampire "inert" -- a mere skeleton in a coffin, perhaps -- indefinitely, but removing the stake could make it rise again. I believe Marvel's "Tomb of Dracula" comic book series of the 1970s had exactly that scenario take place with Count Dracula himself in the first issue, although it's been a heck of a long time since I read a reprint of that material. (In fact, I think there were several other times, in the course of the series, when Dracula once again appeared to be dead -- and then made a dramatic comeback, via one excuse or another!)

P.S. Here's something trivial I didn't bother to mention in my reaction to the main story last night. (My post was already long enough.) Was I the only one who thought it peculiar that the lead story depicted a nice young American couple named Rod and Dot who got trapped in a scary situation, and then the next story depicted the adventures of a nice young American couple named Roy and Dot who got trapped in a scary situation? It seemed to me that someone was geting stuck in a rut! At that rate, I rather anticipated the third story would focus on showing a nice young American couple named Rob and Dot getting trapped in a scary situation! (It didn't, though. It featured a very nasty married couple named Harry and Karen who brought their troubles upon themselves. A nice change of pace, even if Karen's behavior made no sense!)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:46:51 AM by Lorendiac »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 03:05:31 AM »

As everyone has mentioned the lead story is a stinker. Things just happen randomly and without logic.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »

http://www.victorianweb.org/books/suicide/01.html

According to the above linked site only deliberate suicide by a sane person was subject to the stake.
An insane person was not staked or buried at a cross roads. Apparently insane persons who did away with themself could also be buried on hallowed ground, at least in the more civilized eras.

There was quite a lot of emphasis on a public execution of the nobility going smoothly. In some cases an executioner might be punished or even killed if he failed to sever the head with one stroke. Perhaps that carried over into the vampire lore.

PS
The rest of the stories had much better twists at the ending.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:32:52 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Lorendiac

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »

PS
The rest of the stories had much better twists at the ending.

Do they?

"Haunted Honeymoon" had a satisfying twist; I'll give you that one. :) The young couple initially think they've done a good thing in cheering up their host by assuring him he shouldn't worry so much about ghosts -- then they are horrified to discover that he's taken that as "permission" to go ahead and commit a long-planned murder without worrying about possible consequences! I like the irony! (I'm glad they still prevented the actual murder, of course.)

I suppose "The Nightmare" was okay, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

On the other hand, in "Black Means Death," the surprise twist was only a surprise because it didn't make any sense the way it was explained to us at the end. Until Karen died, I'd been working on the theory that she was greedy and vicious -- but basically sane, and that her evil agenda was carefully calculated to move her closer to the things she wanted in life. But a sane woman wouldn't convince her own husband to murder his wife (herself), and then just wait quietly at home for him to come along and actually do it, would she?

I was ready for Harry to fall into a carefully laid trap, such as murdering the wrong woman in a dark room and initially thinking it was his wife Karen, and then the real Karen could watch the police arrest him, and play up her martyr image when interviewed by reporters, maybe write a sensational book, sell the movie rights to her life, and (she would hope) end up making a few million dollars off the notoriety while her useless husband went to the electric chair. That way she could buy the "finer things in life" for herself without being burdened with Harry at the same time.

Or it could have turned out that Karen had an honest-to-goodness case of Multiple Personality Disorder, with "Karen" truly unaware of the existence of "Mara," and "Mara" not consciously realizing that convincing Harry to kill his wife would mean the end of herself as well. That would have been fine as a surprise twist! But Harry's reconstruction is simply that his wife knew exactly what she was doing all along, and hated him so much that she was willing to die in order to send him to the electric chair. That is inconsistent with the idea of "she was greedy and self-centered" -- why do what amounts to committing suicide if that was her personality type? She just ends up looking stupid instead. All that her plan guaranteed was her own death; not Harry's!

In other words: How could Karen be sure they'd be able to build an ironclad case against her husband after she died? What if he hadn't voluntarily confessed right after he realized what had really happened? What if he'd had enough sense, for instance, to smuggle the body out of the house, bury it miles away, out in the woods where no one was likely to notice a fresh grave underneath six inches of dead leaves and pine needles, and then report to the authorities that his wife was missing and that he was afraid she'd run off with some wealthier man who could pamper her? All her plan definitely accomplished was to get herself deposited in a grave -- while possibly leaving Harry free and clear to live more comfortably now that he didn't need to support a wife.

P.S. On the other hand, while I found it very difficult to believe that Harry had never really tried to prove that Mara and Karen were two different people (such as calling his home phone to see if Karen was in the house at the same time he was meeting Mara in a bar), I was prepared to swallow that premise for the sake of the story. It made him kind of gullible, but it wasn't nearly as bizarre as "my beautiful wife wants to live in luxury, but I don't make that much money -- therefore, instead of looking for someone else to pamper her, she arranges for me to kill her."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:35:47 PM by Lorendiac »
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »

Firstly (and I am not sure why) I got it in my head that I hated Chamber of Chills ... but I remember it now, and I thought it was a cracking read! Anyway, I am in the mood for cheesey vampires, so I am looking forward to this read.  The book starts off great, with an introduction page listing all the stories that really whets my appetite.

O dear! The vampire appears to be sporting a rather jolly red bow-tie ... maybe he's a clown vampire? I am finding the panels a bit confusing to navigate ... but that is probably me being a bit dim! Admittedly, not typical of the book as a whole, this bit of dialogue really ought to be awarded some sort of Scoobie-Doo "Meddling-Kids Award".

"That Uncle Paul Lustveg whom you haven't seen since you were a kid? What's the letter say?"

Well ... it started off great, but then as others have said, it appears another story (or two) was "bolted" on and the fire appeared out of nowhere. It all ended up so disjointed, I thought that we might be missing pages, or that they were out of sequence.

However, the good news is that before I read this I'd have been like Rod:
  • Get a stake
  • Hammer it in
  • Dispose of one now dead vampire

But I'd have been wrong and I am really impressed by the deep knowledge of staking and other vampire lore shown by various members of the reading group.     

BTW I was right, the last picture of the vampire definitely shows him wearing a rather natty red bowtie.

Started the second story and confusion reigns. It's the same couple again!!. Ah
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 06:54:30 PM »

Bummer. I wrote a long comment yesterday. When I posted it I got a message that others had posted while I was composing. When I checked the forum their comments showed up but mine never did. Lost in the chronosynclastic infundibulum. I'll try to replicate it.

The Orlando/Wood cover and the Kinstler IFC promise good things, but the book doesn't deliver. Throughout I get an impression of sloppy editing. Like the way the first story features a creepy house visited by Rod and Dot Blair and the second story features a creepy house visited by Roy and Dot Evans. Any half-awake editor would at least have changed the names. Or maybe it's the same woman--Dot dumped Rod after the vampire incident and married Roy. But I digress.

The first story isn't completely incoherent, but it certainly compresses too much into a few pages. The "He's still out there!" ending seems like the writer's desperate attempt to squeeze the last possible shudder (or yawn) from his audience. Why else would he have the vampire emigrate? He could have ended the story when Roy, Dot and the villagers watch the vampire's soul escape the burning house. That is what's going on in panel 2 of the last page, isn't it? So many unclear details in this story. Lorendiac, I don't think that woman in the foreground is supposed to be Anna. She's some guest at the inn witnessing the rampage. The writer has already forgotten Anna. And her mom and dad, too, for that matter. All very messy.

I hadn't heard about the one-stroke rule for vampiric heart-staking. The image of the vampire's heart slurping around his chest cavity avoiding a stake is weirdly amusing.

"Haunted Honeymoon" was a better story. The twist was a genuine surprise. I'm glad the victimized kid was allowed to survive. There's something odd about the two panels in which Roy overcomes the murderer. His dialogue, "Guess I only knocked him out!" sounds like a Code change, but this was long before the Comics Code. George Roussos has some nice moments here, but I wish he'd have staged the final panel differently so we'd understand Dot was seeing things in the shadows.

"Black Means Death" has the germ of a good idea torpedoed by a huge lapse in logic. Karen assumes a double identity to trick Harry into murdering her???? Where'd she get this death wish? Especially considering that, as Mara, Karen receives the attention and the expensive presents she demands from Harry. I could buy some elaborate scheme to frame Harry for the faked "murder" of Mara. I could buy some convoluted plan to drive Harry to kill himself. But to use Harry for assisted suicide? At least the writer could have given Karen a dual personality so Mara wouldn't realize that killing Karen would mean her own finish.

Interesting Kubert art on "The Nightmare" but the ending is confusing. We see Nathan in the room with the doctor and a third guy, then Nathan figures things out, then the monster jumps Nathan. It makes it seem like the doctor is the monster. Or the third man.

Ever see a story where the surprise ending is blown on the first page? "The Ghoul Walks" is one of them. The moment you read the caption on panel 3, you know where the story's headed. The obviousness of the outcome makes a three-page story seem much longer.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:06:54 PM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 02:05:31 AM »

BMD would have worked better if Karen had found out about a real Mara and tricked her into coming to the apartment to be killed, planting Mara's clothes in the closet to convince Harry there was only his wife.
Then resurfacing after Harry was sent to the chair and collecting his life insurance.

The twists were better than the twist of the first story but not always well delivered, but none of these stories is what I'd consider top notch.
The second is perhaps the best.
ip icon Logged

Lorendiac

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 04:10:12 AM »

Bummer. I wrote a long comment yesterday. When I posted it I got a message that others had posted while I was composing. When I checked the forum their comments showed up but mine never did. Lost in the chronosynclastic infundibulum. I'll try to replicate it.

I came back to the board, saw this comment from you, and thought: "Been there; done that! That's why nowadays, whenever I want to post something that's much longer than a quick paragraph or two, I prepare it in Notepad and then cut-and-paste. Every once in a while the software (of whatever forum I'm on) hiccups -- or my Internet connection does -- and the post doesn't make it, but I still have the 'master copy' to fall back on for a second try."

Now comes the irony . . . after I had all that flash through my mind, but before I ever started typing out this response to you, I looked back through the earlier posts in the thread, and realized that it was a darn good thing I still had a 'master copy' as described, because when I pasted some stuff into a new post in this thread, earlier today, I had not pasted as much as I thought I had! (Still not sure how that happened.)

Specifically, I failed to include my thoughts about the "surprise twist" in the final tale of the issue -- "The Ghoul Walks." I'll save them now until I'm reacting to your own thoughts on the subject.

So many unclear details in this story. Lorendiac, I don't think that woman in the foreground is supposed to be Anna. She's some guest at the inn witnessing the rampage. The writer has already forgotten Anna. And her mom and dad, too, for that matter. All very messy.

I'm not following your reasoning. Why do you think she's just a guest instead of a familiar face from previous scenes?

My thinking was: Anna lives in the inn. Anna is a girl with light brown hair. Anna is probably at least four or five years older than Erik, who is twenty when he goes on his first killing spree. By Occam's Razor, it seems to me that when we see a beautiful woman with light brown hair who obviously has been sleeping there in the inn, there's no need to assume she is anyone other than Anna, "all grown up now."

Why would the author go to the extra trouble of introducing a nameless Anna-lookalike for one panel before abandoning both her and Anna for the remainder of the tale?

I thought my opinion of the author's storytelling skills was low, but apparently your regard for his ability to tell a coherent story without pointlessly introducing superfluous characters is even lower that mine? 

"Black Means Death" has the germ of a good idea torpedoed by a huge lapse in logic. Karen assumes a double identity to trick Harry into murdering her???? Where'd she get this death wish? Especially considering that, as Mara, Karen receives the attention and the expensive presents she demands from Harry. I could buy some elaborate scheme to frame Harry for the faked "murder" of Mara. I could buy some convoluted plan to drive Harry to kill himself. But to use Harry for assisted suicide? At least the writer could have given Karen a dual personality so Mara wouldn't realize that killing Karen would mean her own finish.

Your reactions to the gaping flaws in her "master plan" are almost identical to my own doubts about the plausibility of the idea that everything turned out exactly the way Karen had intended all along! In this case, at least, it seems to be true that "great minds think alike!" (I say modestly. ;))

Ever see a story where the surprise ending is blown on the first page? "The Ghoul Walks" is one of them. The moment you read the caption on panel 3, you know where the story's headed. The obviousness of the outcome makes a three-page story seem much longer.

And here's where I'll paste in my own concerns about that surprise twist (even though, like you, I saw it coming from very early on). Although first I will mention that I was impressed by how much plot the writer managed to squeeze into a mere three pages.

I'll just do a little editing to what I had typed out earlier today:

My main problem with the "surprise twist" at the end of this one was that it flat-out contradicted the forensic evidence!

The writer made sure we knew that "The Ghoul" was in the habit of leaving black hairs at his crime scenes. (They even turned up on the chief's body to remind us of that vital clue.) But the narrator of the story, Detective Dan Noren, has reddish-brown hair. And that monstrous reflection in the mirror in the final panel seems to have hair of a lighter hue ("sandy," I might say), rather than its having magically turned black. (Whether his face had literally transformed because of a curse or something, as opposed to his hallucinating that ugly reflection, is not even the point. Either way, his hair came nowhere near fitting the "black hair" clue!)

So how can Dan Noren possibly be guilty of all those previous murders? There's no indication that, when he's in a murderous mood, he always carries around a supply of someone else's black hairs and makes sure to leave a few on the victim to confuse the issue, as if they had fallen from The Ghoul's scalp during a struggle. It leaves me wondering if Noren has never committed any violent crime in his life -- or not until his panicky fight with the chief in a dark corridor, if you count that as a crime -- but he has simply gotten so obsessed with this case that now he's delusional on the subject and really thinks he is the woman-strangling fiend whom he's been chasing?

That would mean that if he commits suicide to end it all, or turns himself in to the other cops, or whatever, the real black-haired maniac will keep right on strangling pretty girls every night!

P.S. A "real-world" explanation could be that the colorist didn't bother to read the script carefully, and thus had no idea that he was really supposed to make sure Detective Noren had jet-black hair.

P.P.S. I didn't mention this in my "first draft" of these remarks, but when I checked back just now, I saw that the other woman-strangling brute whom Noren pummels and captures on Page 2 had very blond hair. When everyone was congratulating Noren on arresting The Ghoul, nobody noticed that yellow hair was painfully inconsistent with the known profile of the maniac who had the city terrified? Again, it seems as if the colorist wasn't even trying to stay consistent with the script. He could have given both men jet-black hair, and thus removed all these concerns of mine, but he couldn't be bothered to do so. Was he usually given a free hand to color anything in the story any way he pleased, according to his personal whims about hair color and so forth?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 04:53:13 PM »

Page 6 - "We are doomed...DOOMED.  A quote from Private Fraser? 
I'm not in the least surprised that the vampire turned up in N. America.  Didn't Dracula manage to find his way from Central Europe to England, reaching land at Whitby.  I noticed that the vampire flew away at the end while still in human(ish) form.  I read the story once and neither liked nor disliked it.  It filled a few minutes. 
The second story was poor and quite depressing so I didn't read the rest of the comic.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 11:02:13 PM »

Just got back from a quick trip, so only had time to read the lead story and skim the rest of the book. Art wasn't bad except for the rendering of the vampire- that was awful. Someone made a comment that the story needed a few more panels to realize the stories full potential. I agree that it ended a bit abruptly without delivering the full "punch" intended. A few new details of vampirism introduced, but otherwise a pretty tame tale. Did enjoy seeing some of Kubert's early work in "The Nightmare". Not the worst one we've read here, nor the best. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 12:46:31 AM »

In trying to figure out why this comic was chosen for review (it certainly isn't very good), I find myself coincidentally re-reading Martin Barker's Haunt of Fears, which outlines the 1950's British campaign against "American style" horror comics.  Apparently, Eerie, along with Haunt of Fear and Tales from the Crypt, made quite an impression on the crusaders from that era.  Barker only chooses a half-dozen or so titles to include in his index, and Eerie was referred to 5 times.  This issue of Eerie in specific doesn't seem to have a high "ick" factor, but I would guess that some might find some of the illustrations provocative or offensive.

Eerie also has the distinction of being among the first, or perhaps THE first horror comic title published in America.  I haven't delved into stories from other issues, and I can't say if #7 is representative of the whole of the series.

Regarding horror comics in general, I recently read a piece on Harvey horror in an older issue of Alter Ego.  The article pointed to a number of specific stories that were considered above the norm.  All issues were available on CB+, so I read them and discovered that while quite different from EC, they were nonetheless competent and entertaining.  Having read all the EC's and this sampling of Harvey horror, I would judge the offerings of Eerie #7 to be incompetent and not worth reading, Kubert or not. 

There are a ton of really good books on the CB+ site.  Perhaps we could up the quality of our selections a bit?  This comics was really awful.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »

Hi misappear!

PLEASE send me a message or email with ideas for future books ... and we'll sure read some!

BUT I actually rather liked this one .. guess I have poor taste ... lol. And my thought was to try and read a "bit of everything" so not go for the best (or what anyone considers the best) but good and bad .. warts and all ... so saying put what you consider quality books on your list ... and we'll dot them around in the next few months

Same goes for anyone else .. recommendations (for whatever reason) are really welcome!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 11:00:25 PM »

I like the idea of the books being somewhat random or at least not read by Mark before he assigns them. It can be much more fun to critique a bad story. I don't mind reading a quality story either. I know that if you do not post your comments quickly you may have them already taken. I think it is OK if Mark would list who recommended a book. I picked Kona which got better reviews than I expected.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.