in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 229 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Pelayos 014

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Pelayos 014  (Read 2154 times)

dan

• Past Member
message icon
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:26:04 AM »

A doctrinal tendentious comic...

Link to the book: Pelayos 014
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 04:08:05 PM »

Yes indeed. This, and the others in the series are the result of being published during the Spanish civil war- and while General Franco was setting up his right wing dictatorship.  He was a monarchist at the time and the King was still accepted. 
Anyone who's interested shouldn't take these few lines as gospel and should consult the history books for accurate accounts of the time.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »

The winner always writes history their way.....spoils of war and all that rubbish you know? Monarchs are not very far removed from Dictators now are they?

Mr_Goldenage
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »

But after Franco's death, the King was instrumental in the restoration of democracy to Spain.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:08:43 PM »

Well ... I am getting drawn into politics ... O DEAR ... O DEAR!!!

That always looked the way, but Juan Carlos did very well out of it! Democracy saved his bacon and got the family right back to a very safe #1 spot. But basically he had to abdicated (in my version anyway) after the heat was on for going hunting elephants whilst also being honorary president of the Spanish branch of the World Wide Fund for Nature. Slight hypocrisy there!

"In July 2012, WWF-Spain held a meeting in Madrid and decided with 226 votes to 13 to remove the king from the honorary presidency. He later apologised for the hunting trip." Pretty damning to sack your king!

Also according to Wikipedia:

"Juan Carlos also hunts bears; in October 2004, he angered environmental activists by killing nine bears, one of which was a pregnant female, in central Romania. It was alleged by the Russian regional authorities that in August 2006 Juan Carlos shot a drunken tame bear (Mitrofan the Bear) during a private hunting trip to Russia; the Office of the Spanish Monarchy denied this claim."

So I am certainly NOT his #1 fan!

But onto even bigger issues. As far as I am concerned Franco was a major baddie and no one is going to revise that on this site whilst I am an admin!
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »

I wasn't aiming to be political, but I thought it needed to be said that there was more to the story of Franco and the Spanish monarchy. And this breaking news just in . . . Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 07:59:06 PM »

Oh that's cool! Am going to wave my red flag to celebrate the news .. lol :)
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 12:50:39 AM »

I wonder if I need to explain an SNL reference--or if this is universally understood.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 06:33:24 AM »

Explain ... as it isn't ???
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »

There was a late night television program that debuted on NBC in the 1975-76 season, broadcast live (to the East coast) on Saturday night/early Sunday morning--now known as SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE. In that first season, Chevy Chase hosted a a mock newscast.

Late in 1975, Francisco Franco held on to life for several weeks and the mainstream news media would report on slow news days that "Generallissimo Francisco Franco is still alive"--especially on NBC's NIGHTLY NEWS hosted by John Chancellor, where this headline led the news. Until finally Franco did die (November 20).

Then on the fake SNL newscasts, Chevy Chase started to report that "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead." This became a running gag on the show for months and months and a catch phrase in popular culture.

And to this day Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »

Ah right I am in England .. so

1) Googled it and guessed it was Saturday Night Live you were referring to. but was none the wiser

2) I was 14 at the time and I remember it well (or thought I did but am less sure after looking it up) I know it dragged on .. but I could have sworn there was a leg amputation .. must be getting confused with someone else on that point!
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 07:56:22 PM »

Ah after further investigation the missing leg was Tito! Amazing how things merge in your memory  .. I'd have stacked a tidy sum on that being Franco!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.