in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,174 books
 New: 243 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Korean War Era G.I. Joe Comic?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Korean War Era G.I. Joe Comic?  (Read 3868 times)

JoeW

message icon
Korean War Era G.I. Joe Comic?
« on: September 27, 2008, 03:13:39 PM »

Can anyone give me details of a comic featuring a character named "G.I. Joe" published probably circa 1950-53?  Although the weapons, uniforms, and Korean setting were depicted fairly realistically (as I recall), Joe was strictly a "Li'l Abner"-inspired  character who almost always encountered a beautiful "Daisey Mae"-type female somewhere on the battlefield (real Korean War G.I.s should be so lucky!).  Many thanks!               

ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Korean War Era G.I. Joe Comic?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »

Greetings Joe,
In the downloads there are a number of issues from that series in the Ziff-Davis Pub. folder.
Ran for 50some issues from 1950 to 1957.
Cheers

Can anyone give me details of a comic featuring a character named "G.I. Joe" published probably circa 1950-53?  Although the weapons, uniforms, and Korean setting were depicted fairly realistically (as I recall), Joe was strictly a "Li'l Abner"-inspired  character who almost always encountered a beautiful "Daisey Mae"-type female somewhere on the battlefield (real Korean War G.I.s should be so lucky!).  Many thanks!               

ip icon Logged

JoeW

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 07:30:02 PM »

Thank you very much, Rez!  Be fun to see if it looks anything like what I remember... :)  Added: Having just taken a look at some samples, looks like I was right about the "realism" but all wrong about the character of Joe and the Babes on the battlefield: a case of wishful "remembering" on my part obviously!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 08:02:04 PM by JoeW »
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 08:45:42 PM »

Speaking of which, you ought to see that "G.I. Shmoe!" parody in the old MAD COMICS.  It is THE last word on lampooning war books.  Spa fon!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.