in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Great/Better/Standard/Nedor

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Great/Better/Standard/Nedor  (Read 897 times)

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
Great/Better/Standard/Nedor
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:55:34 PM »

I stumbled across this site:
http://mysterymen.tripod.com/greats/great.html

which gives a history of William H. Wise's Great Publications and its intersection with Ned Pines of the Better/Standard/Nedor group.

The site is a bit old and hard to navigate, but there are articles on other companies here:
http://mysterymen.tripod.com/greats/past.htm

I have no idea what the source of info is, but some of you may find it interesting.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Great/Better/Standard/Nedor
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 04:34:13 AM »

Some interesting articles on the lesser Golden Age publishers. 

A pity only the first part of the Chesler article is there.  I would have loved to have read more on his history.  I had a chance to meet Chesler on several occasions during my first year at the Kubert School (1979-80) and was even among a group of students who got invited to visit him in his home once.

Joe M
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »

That would have been cool
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:56:03 PM »

What I remember most about my visit to Chesler's house was all of the original magazine cover paintings he had hanging up on the walls.  There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to where he had them placed and I can remember being struck by the strange juxtaposition of seeing J.C. Leyendecker Saturday Evening Post cover paintings hanging next to very garish pulp magazine cover paintings.

Joe M
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.

Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.