in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 45 - Foxy Fagan #2

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 45 - Foxy Fagan #2  (Read 2355 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 45 - Foxy Fagan #2
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:09:31 AM »

Last week's book Son of Sinbad was generally well received, apart from one reading group member who really hated it. Well I did! This week is another recommendation:

"This series was done by Joe Barbera (of Hanna/Barbera fame) and Harvey Eisner (also from H/B animation), and it shows."

I have seen this one around before and the cover does look interesting. Foxy Fagan #2 can be found at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=12942, and the story we are concentratnig on is the Foxy Fagan one starting on our page 3.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Week 45 - Foxy Fagan #2
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 01:32:38 AM »

Yeah lots of it did not make any sense, but I still enjoyed it. It is sure obvious why none of Bobbles inventions work when he does not even know what buttons to push. Loved the last panel. I would assume Foxy getting his just desserts was a regular occurrence in this feature. The art looks good and it does have the animation feel. thumbs up
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 07:22:22 AM »

The Inventor - It's amazing how many blatantly obvious knockoffs show up in comics. Bobbles could be Droopy's twin. Other than that amusing joke.

Foxy Fagan - Cute story.

Little Buck - Cute.

Pete and Tweet - My first thought was this was a Sylvester & Tweety knockoff, but looking it up Sylvester & Tweety first appeared together in a cartoon released on May 3, 1947 and this comic has a cover date of February 1947. Okay, but nothing special.

Get Rich Quick Pancakes - Yeahhhhhhh... retelling an old story... shrug

Hick and Slick - Easy to tell what the "job" was gonna be, but still a nicely done and fun story.

The Bugsy Bear Family - Eh, it had moments but not that good.

Pancakes - Okay, I guess, the dream sequence was the best part. Even though the art was nice, the old mushmouf stereotype was distracting. The punchline wasn't all that great.
ip icon Logged

Mazzucchelli

message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 02:38:22 PM »

Old comics targeted to younger audiences were never my cup of tea. With the exception perhaps of the good old Carl Bark
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »

Where to begin on this one? An awful lot of "borrowing" going on in this book. Besides the very obvious Droopy/ Bobbles, we got  Little Buck/ Lil' Hiawatha,  Bugsey Bear/ Buster Bear, and  Tweet/ Tweety  knockoffs. (Tweety debuted in 1942, albeit without Sylvester.) And on page 36, is that not a direct copy of M.G.M.'s Tom the cat? Getting over all of that, I did enjoy most of this issue. Stories were pretty good and if you have to do knockoff characters, copy from the better studios as these guys seemed to have done.
The Foxy Fagan was a pretty good tale of a greedy con-man trying to cheat a friend and ending up the big loser.
The rest of the stories were quickly read, enjoyed and then forgotten. Good stories and art, just nothing really memorable.
I do have to comment on the second Pancake  story. This one seems to be a direct ripoff of a George Pal "Jasper and the Scarecrow" puppetoon from 1942. Google Jasper and the Watermelons to see some stills.
I mentioned in an earlier review that many kid's comics of the time were little morality plays, designed to entertain and still teach us certain attitudes. Work hard, your parents know best, honesty pays- not bad things for kids to learn. But after reading this one, it would seem that other, less benign attitudes were being fed to us as well. This story was a product of it's time and it is important to archive it. I'm not going to get preachy on the subject, but I won't be offering this story to my granddaughters. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 04:30:50 AM »

I wondered why I enjoy classic animated cartoons but comics done in that style don't excite me. I think movement is the key. While we're watching all the crashing and bashing and squashing and stretching on the screen we don't notice that the "story" is just a bunch of physical comedy stunts strung together. The motionless comic page, no matter how well drawn, lacks that energy, so it's easy to see how thin the story is. Instead of relying mostly on visuals, the best animated-style creators (like Barks and Kelly) gave their stories a strong literary component in the form of complex plots and clever dialogue.

That said, the artwork in this comic is pretty good. The sour note is as others have already noted: all the characters are knock-offs of well-known cartoon stars. The bear, the Indian, and the horse are bad enough but Bobbles "I am not Droopy" the Dog takes the cake.

The stories are okay, though not particularly funny to this jaded grownup. One incident in the Foxy Fagan story makes me cringe: Droopy, sorry, Bobbles has built the rocket from scratch yet there's a knob on the dash that he hasn't tried--the one that happens to activate the rocket. If I were the editor I'd have bonged a frying pan on the writer's head for that one. It reminds me of a comic I made as a kid in which the heroes need a spaceship to pursue the villain. They walk past a park and find a rocket parked there beside a sign that reads, "Free rocket--take it." That's the same sophisticated plotting that went into the creation of Bobbles' dashboard knob.

The not-Li'l Hiawatha story has its moments but the art's much better than the story. It's a relief to have the kid speak in standard English instead of Tontoese.

"Pete and Tweet" is one of those that would have worked a lot better on the screen.

"Hick and Slick" has some lively cartooning but the story sinks because the "surprise" job is so painfully obvious.

"Bugsey Bear" offers some chuckles, anyway.

A couple of imaginative bits can't rescue the "Pancakes" story. I know, I know, it's a relic of its time. But we like to pretend that obnoxious racial caricatures were a product of some distant past. This story appeared only a couple of years before I was born, and I ain't an octogenarian yet.

When I see ads like the one on the inside back cover, I wonder: did fifty kids actually send in coupons? Did the publisher really cough up the fifty bucks to pay them? It's not like anyone was checking up on him. Each kid would have assumed somebody else won the prize. Or rather, that's what his parents would have told him, because the kid would have been certain HIS entry was the "neatest and most thoughtful."

One final note: the lettering on this book is pretty good. I especially like the vaguely Deco-style logos for Foxy Fagan and Pancakes.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 03:02:52 PM »

I am glad that a shadowy reading group member recommended this book. It is one of a series that I keep meaning to look at, but never get round to it. After growing up with Hanna / Barbera cartoons it's going to be interesting to see Barbera's comic book contribution.

We start with a one page "Bobbles" the Inventor and it's straight into cartoon land. Next is our Foxy Fagan main story, and it was great. Good story and animation on a page! Next up Little Buck and his sidekick Pinto. Basically if you like the Hanna-Barbera cartoons then you are going to enjoy this and ALL the book. By the looks of it all the characters we have met elsewhere albeit with different names.

Now we have, Pete and Tweet and yep you got it canary and cat :) Whoops ... unfortunately the two page text story "Get Rich Pancakes" is "slightly stereotypical, and certainly of its time". So let's move swiftly on.

We are back on track with Hick and Slick followed by The Bugsey Bear Family. The book finishes with a graphic Pancakes story. It's a shame that the black stereotyping overshadows a rather jolly and OK story. I wonder if with a bit  (Ok a lot) of tinkering he could make a 21st Century comeback.

Verdict: A hit! I really enjoyed this. It felt like reading an animated cartoon. Very strangely, I enjoyed the last Pancakes story the best.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 04:59:49 PM »

This one didn't even make me smile.  But then, apart from Barks material, I seldom find American humour comics humourous. It all seemed telegraphed and as some of you pointed out, there seem to be a lot of copycat characters.  And this wouldn't be bad if the stories were funny and the characters interesting. But I don't find them interesting or funny.  The Pancakes story was at least a bit surreal and that kind of took my attention.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.