in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 58 - Jim Dandy #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 58 - Jim Dandy #1  (Read 2609 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 58 - Jim Dandy #1
« on: February 12, 2015, 12:00:33 PM »

Last week's book was judged a hit by the reading group, but it was a tad confusing. I think this week's choice will be a bit more straightforward. Jim Dandy #1 was suggested by a regular Group member and can be found at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=21352. The story we are concentrating one is the first one "The Mysterious Beam". But I am led to believe to get the "full value" you need to read this cover to cover.

ip icon Logged

Mazzucchelli

message icon
Re: Week 58 - Jim Dandy #1
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 08:49:36 PM »

This is one of those comics that needs to be read thoroughly, like Mark mentioned in his introduction. To be fully understood.

Firstly I thought
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »

The Mysterious Beam - Actually this is just the first part of a longer story. As for the story... eh. It just didn't grab me, but it wasn't bad either, it was just kind of... there. The art was okay.

What's Up Out There? - Interesting. The general killed by the meteor was interesting since I read in a more recent trivia book that only 6 people have been known to have been hit by meteors and none of them were killed, so I did a search and the general's alleged death was investigated in 1930 and no corroborating evidence for the incident could be found.

Bammy Boozle and His Wonderful Tricks - Eh.

The Deputy - Meh.

Sadly the trivia pages were the most entertaining.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 01:30:11 AM »

I got and read Jim Dandy number two as my introduction to the character. I thought it was really pretty good so I got the the other issues. I find it a fun series and enjoyed it.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 06:59:46 AM »

This comic proves that no matter how many comics you've read, there's always one you haven't heard of. I had no idea Charles Biro had produced a Code approved kid's comic. This is filed with Lev Gleason comics, but the indicia suggests someone else--perhaps Biro himself?--was the publisher. That said, the more I read this comic (and I read it several times) the stranger it seemed. It's not that it's bad; it isn't. But its many peculiarities make it tough to figure out.

The star character, Jim Dandy, resembles the troubled kids in Biro's old Boy Comics and Crime Does Not Pay stories. Like them he is desperate to be liked and has boundless admiration for a creep. In the earlier comics the kid would either have been straightened out by Crimebuster (Boy) or turned into a criminal (CDnP). Here he just goes on prancing around the bully's heels begging for acceptance no matter how viciously he's treated. It's pathetic the way Jim tells Dash, "I wouldn't do that to you! I'm your friend!"

It'd be easier to shrug off if it there weren't an uncomfortable kernel of truth in his behavior. Biro captures some of the angst of a nerdy adolescent boy in the 1950s--wishing he were physically tough, yearning for the cute girls who preferred the jocks. I ought to know. Jim's Dad expresses perfectly the 50s concept of manhood: athletic excellence and ready fists. The kids in my town seldom had fistfights, but our media was saturated with that cowboy fantasy, which has survived to the present in the form of our national conviction that all the world's problems can be solved with a gun. Okay, this stuff is true to the period. The troublesome part is that we're supposed to sympathize with, even admire, Jim's masochistic striving to be loved by this asshole.

With the sudden injection of Cup the story turns from an Archie-style comic into My Favorite Martian. Some of the situations are funny and Cup is a likeable guy. But his invisible antics don't always mesh with the more serious character interaction. Jim is right, his impressive athletic feats are mostly Cup's doing, as is the punch that heralds the dawn of his manhood. No wonder Jim hates himself even more after learning the truth. I haven't read the other two issues (I'm amazed there was more than one), so I wonder whether the angst was later soft-pedaled in favor of hijinks.

The artwork is also strange. It's quite good, almost too good for the story. In it is an awkward tension between cartoony and realistic. Many characters seem to have been based on specific individuals, and this clashes with the silly stories. But considered apart from story, these are remarkable drawings. The artist has put great effort into designing characters with distinct personalities. Take the dads for example. There's nothing generic about them. The girls are almost dangerously cute and their fashions are rendered with meticulous care. In fact the artist puts the same care into dressing all his actors. Even though exaggerated the poses are true to life. When the kids stand around they stand the way kids stand.

These drawings remind me of advertising storyboard art. That combination of fine detail with broad posing is the mark of a great sketch artist. I have no idea if it is Charles Biro. The art I definitely know was Biro's is very early stuff and not too good. It's generally accepted that Biro didn't draw most of the covers he signed at Gleason. Who knows, by 1956 he may have learned to draw like this. Whoever it is, it's good. My only gripe is the way the inking of the mouths makes all the guys appear buck-toothed.

One quirk about the writing: the characters call each other by name incessantly! You'd think it was radio dialogue.

Bammy Boozle...whose crazy idea is this? A vaudeville dancer, her medicine-show dad and their rolling house? There's a real 1920s concept. Shorty Shiner doesn't inspire confidence either.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:03:54 AM by crashryan »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 06:37:35 AM »

Reading the comments of others help me realize more why I liked the series. I was a nerd with a father who wanted a jock. I relate to the Jim Dandy character and guess I always wanted a CUP as a friend.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 04:57:36 PM »

This one was likeable but not particularly memorable. Not one of the usual kid morality plays, but still a "message" story. A simple message- you can't realize your dreams if you're afraid to try and don't hold yourself back.
Writing was good, effectively delivering the message. Even a couple good gags were thrown in.
I agree with the previous comments on the art. An interesting blend of cartoony and realistic styles, similar to advertising art. It did fit the story.
All-in all, not bad. It introduced me to a new character and I'll probably read another issue just to see how Jim fared. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »

Dash is just a bully and bullies are detestable.  Snacks is a miserable piece of work and someone should have given him a kick up the jacksy.  Despite that, I sort of enjoyed bits of this including the totally unbelievable, silly and good fun bits with the alien.  Some of this brought back some unsavoury memories from school, and that's even while I was a reasonably good athlete and gained some kudos through playing in a group.  This was in the '60's. 
The art is odd and difficult to get used to but at least it all moves along nicely.
Bammy Boozle I didn't get at all and the Shorty Shiner strip is a waste of space.
All in all I wouldn't like to spend good reading time with much more of Jim Dandy.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »

Despite the "NEW! There has never been anything like it!" tag on the front cover, this looks like standard pre/early teen book. That's actually OK with me as I "do" juvenile humor. The next page introducing the cast has certainly whet my appetite.

The space references are very interesting, coming a year and a bit before Sputnik. Well that was rather good! The next "story" is really just a chapter break as we carry on the tale. The same with the next story after. This is really fun!!

We get a bit of education with "What's Up There". Followed by Bammy Boozle and some magic tricks that you can perform at home. I didn't quite get the one page Shorty Shiner ... but hey who cares!

Verdict: No doubt about it, A HIT!!! The Charles Biro guy does it again! This had a storyline that ran throughout most of the book and was great fun. Plus, the pre-Sputnik space references are very interesting. Much more "modern" than I would have guessed.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 06:16:35 AM »

Really reminded me of the George Tirebiter and Mudhead bits The Firesign Theatre did. Dash was nasty even by 50's standards. But I get what crashryan meant by the girl art..it's as if they were pasted on from another comic book..
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.