in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 205 - Mirakelman #1503

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 205 - Mirakelman #1503  (Read 1105 times)

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
Week 205 - Mirakelman #1503
« on: July 25, 2019, 03:03:10 PM »

Well, here is a foray into foreign language books. (Unless you are a native Dutch speaker ;). ) Mirakelman #1503 found here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=69445
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 205 - Mirakelman #1503
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 11:07:40 PM »

Or if you prefer Spanish, this is Superhombre 19

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 01:46:23 AM »

De Verschrik-Kelijke Sneeuwman - Couldn't read the language, but the story was visual enough to follow the main points... evil, hairy caveman refuses to put on a shirt, so cape guy has to stop him. ;)

Balak De Tiran - So Jimmy Olsen is secretly Mirakelman, except when he forgets to wear his medallion? Got it! ;)

Een Hart Van Goud - Mirakelman fights the evil Balloonman!  ;)

Interesting Superman/Captain Marvel knockoff.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 03:50:39 PM »

Oh yes! Great stuff. Misappear called it right.  These Dutch comics were reprints of the Spanish series, all 68 of which we have on site.  There were about 13 British reprints also, and we have 2 of them on CB+.  The Spanish comics are the originals and the series of 12 page comics started in 1957. There is a lot of nonsense talked about who created Superhombre, which I wont waste your time with here.  These comics were done by Joan Llarch and Juan Giralt.
The British editions were published by Top Sellers around 1965 in 68 page comics and later in the run featured Blackhawk stories in the back.
This is a fun read.  Abominable snowman who emits radiation from his eyes!!!, quickly followed by a giant octopus?  Losing the sun disc was a device used in the later Kelly's Eye stories.  About the only way to bring any sense of danger into stories about such superpowered characters.
By the way, there is another superhero in the series, Supercoat, whose origin you can read in Superhombre #26. Lots of ideas "borrowed" from Cap. Marvel and Superman.
Just to confuse matters if you're going to search online, Superman in Spanish comics became "Superhombre" but in earlier Spanish comics Superman was adapted as "Ciclon" 
Thanks for choosing this one.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 06:46:35 AM »

Well, I am perplexed! I wrote a detailed post on this yesterday. Have no idea what happened to it.  :( :o
Thought I would find it here, but no. So two points. The Art to me is reminiscent of Wayne Boring ( his real name) - And, in general you could follow the story via the pictures.  I liked it for what it was. And I was interested in the Ad for Sherrif Classics on page 2. Nice art and I would like to read that.
Cheers! 
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »

Nice pics. 
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 02:00:22 AM »

I'm late commenting on this one. It's an undemanding but enjoyable superhero comic. Both story and art are reminiscent of Silver Age stories from the Mort Weisinger stable. I confess I cheated and checked the Spanish original to clear up some of the finer points. In doing so I learned that the first Dutch story is indeed from Superhombre #19, but the second story comes from SH #4.

When I need to overthink something, I wonder about the relationship between the two identities in Captain Marvel-formula characters like Mirakelman. John Chapman (originally Juanito Montalban) and Mirakelman seem to be separate beings, MM replacing Chapman in our dimension when the Sun Disk is activated. But when the sailor accidentally becomes MM (a funny scene), MM seems to retain the sailor's thoughts while also being aware of his identity as Mirakelman. MM/Sailor wonders what's happening to him, but he also knows the Sun Disk belongs with Chapman, something only MM would know. When MM/S gives Chapman the disk, his dialogue ("Here's the disk you lost") sounds more like the confused sailor than MM. Does a person who activates the disk merge with Mirakelman, his personality running in the background as it were, rather than being replaced by MM? Like I said, I overthink things.

Whatever the case, it's a pleasant read.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 09:19:31 PM »

I took the opportunity to read Mirakelman because it is in Dutch language, and although I saw it on newstand shelves in The Netherlands and Belgium before, I never opened one, because I have avoided superhero comics like the plague, since reading a few during the late 1940s and beginning of the 1950s.  I see that my first impressions were correct.  This genre is not for me.  The stories are just too far from real life.  The magic powers are not explained, and are too far from plausibility.  As comic book writer, my editors have ALL told me that we have to write each story, as if the reader has never read a story from this series before.  Unless the writer KNOWS for a fact, that ALL the stories in the given book will be written by himself, he must include (either in pictures, narrative or dialogue), a clear explanation or way for the reader to understand why things happen.   Rather than providing a pseudo-scientific explanation for how the medallion works, and how and why Chapman changes into Mirakelman in each story, I would have an "info page" providing that explanation in an abbreviated history, including how Chapman got the medallion on the inside front cover of each book in the series.  It is a bit interesting to see an ancient non-human hominid come into contact with modern humans in industrial society, and also to come across ancient giant octopus species from the ocean's depths, potentially being used by a Communist Cold War enemy of The West.  But, I would rather tell or read that story in a more realistic setting, with as much true science as possible, and with no super-hero, and with the science fiction, at least seeming somewhat plausible without thinking too deeply.  Superhero plots are too similar and the end is always so predictable. 

Most people think funny animal comics are for babies, and ALL comics with realistically drawn humans are on a level much above that.  But I disagree with that.  To me, Superhero comics have plots that are totally unrealistic, way too predictable, way too simple, and, at least in the case of this Mirakelman issue, offer way too little in the way of human emotional involvement and feelings with which the reader can identify.

Stories my colleagues and I write with funny-looking anthropomorphic humanlike "animals" are stories about people, dealing with many issues that we all face in our daily lives.  I can identify with Donald Duck, an everyman (not-so-inteligent (about average-but, who sometimes be brilliant, and sometimes act like an idiot), who is sometimes energetic and purposeful and industrious, but is often lazy, and finds it difficult to hold a job, but is a loyal true friend, generally has good morals, but once in a while can act selfishly -and is later sorry, and will risk his life to help the needy and endangered, and to right a wrong)).  He has a co-dependent relationship with his ladyfriend, gets terribly jealous, is quick to anger (explosive temper), but doesn't really have a mean bone in his body.  The two of them have lots of problems, but always come back together again (probably because once other relationship candidates get to know them intimately, no one else will have them, and they don't want to be alone.  Donald is in his early 20s, but has been saddled with the custody of his 3 triplet nephews (Huey, Dewey & Louie) by his sister (Dumbella), who disappeared (probably ran away from her responsibilities), and he's muddling through, trying to do the best he can with that awesome responsibility, and getting little help from his filthy-rich uncle(Scrooge), his selfish ladyfriend(Daisy), the seemingly inept local (Calisota and Duckburg) social service authorities, and even his adoptive "Mother" (Grandma Duck).  His over-Trillionaire uncle, treats Donald terribly, taking advantage of the lad's inability to carve out a career for himself, paying him even less than minimum wages (like an illegal alien) and using him for a "pack animal" on dangerous safaris all over the undeveloped world, on illegal missions to steal resources and riches from underdeveloped nations. 

All of the above situations are "real-World" situations, we human readers understand and most of which we can have an empathetic relationship with the main character.  When Carl Barks and I, and other responsible  writers place science-fiction into our stories, we work hard to ensure that the premises aren't so ridiculous that they defy any possible connection to reality, and so are somewhat plausible (at least on the surface) without too much deep thinking, so that the reader won't stop living in the flow of the story to think ("This is ridiculous!  That couldn't happen in a million years!  It's just too stupid!").

To me - The Super Hero stories (Especially the stories in this Mirakelman issue, are supposed to be taken as is. with no attempt at explanation, because EVERYONE  knows the story of Superman, so they will understand this is a similar situation, so they will be satisfied that Mirakelman's situation is somewhat analogous, so they can enjoy the story without knowing the backstory history and details of how and why things are the way they are, and work the way they do.  But, I must admit that EVEN IF I were to have read an information page introducing me to Mirakelman, I'd likely have thought the "magic" effects of the medallion to be too silly, and too far from the way The Universe works. 

One might make a similar analogy about anthropomorphic animal/people, and a duckman who has more wealth than can possibly exist, and an inventor that can invent anything that is needed, and a super-lucky person who never needs to work.  But these are just grossly exaggerated cases of people we all know.  Everyone to his or her own taste.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.