in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 63 - Hyper Mystery Comics #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 63 - Hyper Mystery Comics #1  (Read 2534 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 63 - Hyper Mystery Comics #1
« on: March 18, 2015, 07:35:40 AM »

So last week's Charlton was a hit with the group and i#ll have a small wager so will his week's choice! BTW I have a small list of books (some have been on it for some time!) that members have recommended. I'll start going through it next week. If you have any to add PLEASE DO email or message me them!

The story about how this book became our reading his week. I saw the cover. It was camp. Read Crashryan's comment. It was chosen.

Hyper Mystery Comics #1 can be found at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=46584, and the story we are concentrating on is the first one our page 3. Explaining where it all began!

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 63 - Hyper Mystery Comics #1
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:16:43 AM »

That is what I call a fashion statement.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 01:12:22 AM »

Oh, dear... I read this once before and was not impressed *sigh* Well, let's see if a reread changes my mind.

Hyper the Phenomenal - Not very hyper and not very phenomenal. Given the start I wonder if this was meant to be girl spy series, but then someone found out that super-heroes were big so they switched genres part way through? Running around in a gayly-colored Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers-style outfit really doesn't work well for secret agent stuff and Hyper doesn't even seem to have the brains to figure out where Winifred is on his own. Not a good opening for your title character.

Commodore Ambord - Ummmm... yeah... There's a good reason why you won't find this story on a list of Pre-Code Horror stories. ;-) This should be at least unnerving if not scary, but... it's just there.

The Diamond Smugglers - Way too many plots going on for this story.

Disco the Boy Detective - "Staying alive, staying alive" whoops, wrong disco. ;-) Ugh, slooooooooow pacing, poor detective work, lame writing, not good.

Dear Readers - If this was based on the most exciting parts of Major Lawrence's manuscript how bad was the unexciting stuff? Yikes!

Sooooo... no change of mind, it's just as bad the second time.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 04:48:54 AM »

The first story when it was at it's best could remind me of the art work from LI'L ORPHAN ANNIE...but I thought this was old school even for the year it was done...weren't poison gas stories bigger in the early 30's...by 1940 it was more atomic stuff...Yeah, SuperScrounge, I picked up on the Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers vibe too...the rest of the comic book I could not make all the way through (it took two attempts to finish the first story..) But to me, the whole thing had a Tijuana Bible feel to it...And WHERE would Facebook BE without old comics like this people could post panels from? Just the title DISCO THE BOY DETECTIVE is a keeper.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:21:19 PM »

"at all times be alluring" Now that is some order from headquarters. The art had some good moments but also some not so good. The story over all was pretty poorly written. I like it mainly because of its oddity and obscurity.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 01:48:18 AM »

I personally found "Hyper, the Phenomenal" didn't quite live up to his title. Liked the art, but this story was just plain awful. I really would have preferred a 2y adventure without any mention of Hyper. (I did find her alluring at all times!) Hyper just seems to be an overdressed cut-rate hero who has no idea what he's doing. I had to sneak a peek at the next installment and he still couldn't get her out after ten pages! It took an accident to free her.
The next story wasn't much better. Weregoats? Time to move on.
The art in "The Diamond Smugglers" reminded me a little bit of Smilin' Jack. Was there a page missing or was the ending sort of abrupt? We never did get to see Shasta "feex" the Dude. Even so, it was probably the best written one of the lot.
Disco and Nicodemus reminded me somewhat of Tintin and Snowy. Just ok.
After reading this comic, I was surprised that there was a second issue. Oh, well, they can't all be gems! Cheers, Bowers

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »

After last weeks fail (well in my eyes anyway) we appear to be back on track. The first story was as camp as a camped up camp thing that was feeling a bit camp. Comic book rubbish at its very best! Mento-Meto's, crushing walls and a Neogas Helmet flying helmet! I won't say too much or it would ruin the story (or this part of it anyway), but poor old Ashnif certainly takes a pasting today. Even an old man gives him a "good kicking".

I have just read the next story and I am still not quite sure what weredolfs are. Grand Comics Database is also confused as it has them listed as werewolfs. Hopefully, someone with access will correct it. Another great story marred only by it is another "to be continued..."

This is followed by a story that has a really cool bit with a "masked assailant" trying to stuff a half-unconscious Billy through the port-hole. Plus I liked cousin Hugh's cunning plan of hiding his true identity under a false moustache. Great dotted line eyes looking on our page 50. Damn yest another "to be continued...". But not the comic's fault, this is all just weird fun!

Now for the final story. In comic book land are all formulas or is that formulae "Secret"? I guess so!

"Yes, Chief! One of my guest
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.