in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 66 - Wonder Comics #10

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 66 - Wonder Comics #10  (Read 3406 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 66 - Wonder Comics #10
« on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:21 AM »

In my opinion last week's book was certainly the most thought provoking choice we have had, so far. If you haven't read this issue of Picture Parade https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=11684 I strongly recommend you do!

Going through my "todo" list of picks made by the group I have this one. I have been reliably informed "if you like camp comic books then this is for you!" Well I do (who doesn't) so let's see. The cover looks great!

Wonder Comics #10 can be found at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=28789, and the story we are concentrating on is the first one Wonderman story starting on our page 4

ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 66 - Wonder Comics #10
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:29:48 PM »

As I said on another thread: [Bob] Oksner's early art for Ned Pines was not that great--by his own admission--but Comic Book Plus needs to find COMPLETE BOOK OF COMICS AND FUNNIES, which features the first appearance of the oddball Wonderman by Oksner. I've been looking around on eBay for a copy, but so far no luck.

Oksner worked as art director at Ned Pines starting around 1940, but left in '47. I speculate that some material he had done himself was warehoused--maybe by art director Bob Oksner as a hedge against any artists being late on deadlines--given that Pines kept printing Oksner stories after his departure.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:48:17 AM »

Wonderman - The evil spirits can survive an exploding satellite, but not a crashing spaceship? Methinks the author ran out of ideas and said, "Oh, let's just end this!" Aside from that it wasn't a bad bit of fluff. Wouldn't mind reading other Wonderman stories.

Jill Trent - Not as good as the first story. I guess the author thought science sleuth meant "made up science, stumbling over clues, and lots o' shootin'!" A shame since Jill & Daisy seem like good characters in a substandard story.

Farmer's Sons - Okay.

Grim Reaper - Wow! An actual story title? Not bad.

Freddie and Beefie - Uuuuuuuuuh... no.

Laffs and Chuckles - Meh.

North Woods Chase - Okay.

Read 'em An' Stop Weepin'! - Cute.

Bart Bradley - And once again coincidence saves the day! *rolls eyes* It had potential, but the finished product was not that good.

2nd Freddie and Beefie - See reaction to the first one.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:18:36 AM »

I was thinking the same thing, but with bullets vs fists, SuperScrounge. They can take direct hits 'from lead' but fists drive them back to the crater?
The writing just killed me. Loved it. Utah School of Mines? Wow.
Dr Voodoo looked like Tatoo from Fantasy Island with a more punk hair do. I liked that.
Did anyone else get reminded of The Spectre with Grim Reaper, or was that just me? And you HAVE to dig any comic that shows the dangers of practical joking...the gateway anti social activity that leads to bank robbing. Lots of fun, over all...even if Beefie DID look a lot like L Ron Hubbard.
ip icon Logged

Mazzucchelli

message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:31:25 PM »

As a little piece of 40
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 02:09:33 AM »

I was thinking the same thing, but with bullets vs fists, SuperScrounge. They can take direct hits 'from lead' but fists drive them back to the crater?

Didn't even think about that one. Does Wonderman have superstrength?

Dr. Voodoo is truly a character himself, I still cannot put my finger on what he
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 03:03:05 AM »

I agree on it being a fine bit of fun fluff. The story is a continuation so it begs to lead one to read the earlier adventures. I like how they take the plane it won't take more than a few days to go all the way out to Utah. Of course they do that rather than use their belts that can take them four hundred miles an hour.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »

I did like this one, even with all the contradictions and holes in the plots. Hey, it's a GA comic, so I forgive a lot.
Wonderman had it all- hot babes, beastmen, and a somewhat strange arch-villain. What else does one need? What a cover! Silly, but exciting. I also want to read more of this character.
Jill Trent- a woman with brains. Was that allowed in the early 50's? Good story and art- also silly but very readable.
Grim Reaper was not bad, a good, average backup feature.
The rest of the book went downhill from here. Bart Bradley and Freddie and Beefie just did not interest me. I only rarely read the text stories, so can't say one way or the other about them.
As a whole, this one was pretty good. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 09:39:29 AM »

I just cannot believe that any comic with a cover this good can be anything but a hit with me. So let's see if I am proved wrong (yet again!). Wow the 4 features highlighted in "Wonder Headliners In This Issue" look excellent. So still on track for a good rating!

I have just finished "Slave Spirits". What a totally glorious script! It is much better than I anything I can contribute, so instead here a bunch of one-liners and other bits from it.

"Is Lilith to wander the Universe because of that upstart Wonderman? I expect YOU to find me a NEW EMPIRE, Dr. Voodoo!" (talk of demanding women)

"Be patient, Evil Majesty! The cosmos is vast -- studded with countless worlds greater than the human mind can conceive ..." (very true!)

"Besides  ... we can take along our costumes and compensator belts ... just to be on the safe side!" (and maybe some sandwiches?)

"Ye Gods General ... He's driving them back alone!"
"No wonder! That's Wonderman!"

"Is the world really WORTH conquering, sinister one? Its history isn't a pretty one, you know! Wars ... hatred ..." (and you are such nice people!)

Well in my (comic) book this is as good as it gets, we even have a
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.