in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

the Scarab movie

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: the Scarab movie  (Read 13943 times)

brettk

message icon
the Scarab movie
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:52:42 AM »

Hya Folks
Been lurking here for a long time- thought i'd finally post.
I'm the director of a forthcoming feature film based on the Nedor character THE SCARAB that begins filming in early 2009.
Just curious- as fans of golden age comics- what are your thoughts on doing a film based on a PD hero?

Brett

www.brettkelly.net
www.thescarabmovie.blogspot.com
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: the Scarab movie
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:44:08 AM »

Cool. 
I could think of more visually interesting heroes but I do wish you well.
But please don't be tempted to turn another PD hero into the villain of the flick.  That's been done to death.  Perhaps 'The Clown' would be a good choice - clowns freak out people almost as much as snakes!  ;)

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:48:41 AM »

D'oh!
That's exactly what we did- our villain is "The Sphinx"- for two reasons; 1) the Egyptian theme and 2)I couldn't find an exciting PD villain.
Although we didn't go with the "used to be a hero" angle.
I didn't know that's been done to death- any examples?

I posted a pic of the costume design of the Scarab on our blog- while visually not the same, he IS Peter Ward.

Thanks for the tip

ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 03:22:50 PM »

Just curious- as fans of golden age comics- what are your thoughts on doing a film based on a PD hero?

I don't think it's any better or worse (though it's certainly cheaper, which is good) than adapting a licensed character to the movies.  The same rules would seem to generally apply--if you stick close to the source material instead of inventing a brand new character with the same name, it'll probably be enjoyed by the target audience.

The problems I see are with regard to getting the word out, because nobody has kept the public domain characters in the popular memory.  So, while you might find an enormous market for Wonder Woman, most people might assume that the Scarab is supposed to be ripping off Spider-Man or something.

The costume might not help that impression.  It doesn't seem to resemble any of the Golden Age outfits, and other than the dung beetle on the belt, doesn't even have any pseudo-Egyptian influence.  The character could be anybody, though I guess that could be the point.

Would you be willing to give some insight on that point?  I often wonder why a creator would research (or even pay for licensing for) a minor character, only to change everything in sight (or even anything) or "modernize" the concepts.  I've often been curious about that part of the process.

Regardless of what sounds like preemptive complaining, if it's not grim and gritty (or as I've called it since the '80s, "boring"), I look forward to seeing what you'll be doing with the ideas, and wish you well on the project.
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:56:34 PM »

good questions-

The reason for using a character like the Scarab is because a character with even the smallest amount of recognition- is still easier to sell than a character with none at all. The "golden age hero" angle can be played and still be accurate.
The reason for the changes is merely to make the hero look similar to what audiences may expect, the original Nedor costume is kinda goofy.

Funny story- when I was a kid I liked to create my own heroes and I invented one called The Scarab- I didn't realize that there was already a character named that- it was just a word I had read in the dictionary that I thought sounded cool- the costume that I drew for him is fairly similar to the character in the movie (almost 30 years later!)

I guess I'm kinda combining my childhood character (visually) with the Nedor character (story-wise)

thanks for the well-wishes.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:27:05 PM »

That makes some sense, yeah.  Thanks for filling us in, since it's rare to see the "behind the scenes" beyond what we get from folks like Alex Ross in interviews (i.e., "we thought the character looked cool, but rewrote and redesigned everything").  I hope you're keeping the cat, though...

I did, by the way, spot some interesting nuggets in the casting call information, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the movie holds together.
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »

Its nice that a film maker talks to some of the fans ( I.E-us) before going to far down the road with a project of this kind.

I hope that any input from us might help keep things on track.

To bad some of the producers/directors of super-heroes movies of years gone by never talked to their portental audiance before hand.

Some REAL turkeys might have been avioded !!!  ::)

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 05:52:03 AM »

Yup- "Catwoman" anyone :)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »

Forget film, what about comics!?

OK, to be fair, it seems that most revamps do find their audiences, but it's like every decade has a formula for "reinventing" heroes into somebody that no reader is likely to find appealing.
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »

Can you give an example?
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 06:20:43 PM »

I haven't looked at this as a formal model or anything, so this is mostly arbitrarily put together, but it seems to me that the current trend, stretching back to the late '90s, is that all revivals are a "classic" but forgotten superhero brought in fresh, usually as a minority and/or woman (all of the new JSA, for example, plus the new Blue Beetle, which is an exception because it's actually been a really good book).  It's hard to imagine anybody getting excited about the new Crimson Avenger, for example.  "It's the Crimson Avenger, but more violent, and a black woman!"  Huh?  But then, there's also a counter movement to "put everything back," like the current Green Lantern title and (apparent) upcoming resurrection of a certain classic Flash.

Prior to that, the current heroes were replaced in-story with fruitcakes with nothing to recommend them other then novelty (Reign of the Supermen, Knightfall, the story where Wonder Woman dies, Emerald Twilight, and so on), which is mostly the early '90s.  I don't know as much about Marvel, especially at the time, but for a while, it seemed like DC was populated with hastily-constructed bumbling sidekicks who were artificially promoted by their mentors' deaths.  And they were all fine with killing lots of people.

Throughout the '80s, the heroes were kept, but everything around them changed substantially, whether by retcon (DC/Crisis) or major changes that didn't last (Marvel/Secret Wars).  Sometimes this was part of a big event (as mentioned), but not always (Batman, the Teen Titans, and the JLA all got non-Crisis-y "silent" revamps).  Almost always, the move was to depower and make the characters more cynical.

Prior to that, I haven't really given it too much thought, but the late '60s and '70s had another explicit move to modernize and reduce fantastic elements (Ditko's Blue Beetle, O'Neil's Superman and Wonder Woman, the superspy Martian Manhunter, and so on) except in the context of the new horror comics, and while I'm not convinced that I always agree, the general consensus is that the '60s ran exclusively on space travel and gorillas, and the '50s is populated with an awful lot of atomic-powered heroes, but that seems to go further off track...which I guess makes sense, because we're getting closer to the first iterations.

Movies seem to follow their own logic, of course, a combination of what stories seem to be popular, what actors seem to be popular, and what special effects are available.  Shake it too hard, and you get Catwoman...and that nonsensical Captain America movie with the Italian Red Skull.
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 01:31:49 AM »

casting for the film has begun- and the final draft of the script has added surprise cameos from other Nedor characters :)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 01:05:28 PM »

Well if you still need a leading man i'm not TOO busy for the next few months..... !

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 04:43:15 AM »

Just curious:  Since "The Scarab" is being done by a "Canadian indie film production company", how is it being released in the USA?  Maybe I'm seriously out-of-touch with the world anymore, but I've never heard of the three other movies listed as being produced by "Brett Kelly Entertainment".  Will Scarab be a direct-to-video DVD in the US or will it make it to the big screen?

it seems to me that the current trend, stretching back to the late '90s, is that all revivals are a "classic" but forgotten superhero brought in fresh, usually as a minority and/or woman

I understand why people are against revamps of characters they like, but I imagine that the company's point of view is "Was so-and-so a successful character?"  As much as people professed a love for the Ted Kord Blue Beetle (myself included), his series didn't last past two years, he was only a supporting character in Justice League, and all but dropped off the face of the Earth for years before his death in "Countdown to Infinite Crisis" (a story I liked very much, if I may be honest).  The new Blue Beetle hasn't done much better, with a cancelled series, but should DC have tried using a character that didn't sell before or take a chance that the updated version would fair better?  It's a tough call to make, but they gave it a shot and it didn't work out.

I don't know as much about Marvel, especially at the time,

They were doing pretty much the same thing DC was doing.  Marvel and DC always copy each other.

Movies seem to follow their own logic, of course, a combination of what stories seem to be popular, what actors seem to be popular, and what special effects are available.  Shake it too hard, and you get Catwoman...and that nonsensical Captain America movie with the Italian Red Skull.

I think movies based on comics have gotten much better in translating the source material into something watchable on the big screen.  Most of the credit can go to better special effects and a tendency to take the comic book stories seriously.  I am happy to say I've never seen "Catwoman" because I could see from the posters and trailers that it wouldn't live-up to my expectations.  On the other hand, I've watched and enjoyed the "Captain America" movie several times, accepting that an arbitrary change was made to the Red Skull's origin.  Hey, at least it was better than that trainwreck called "Dr Strange".

I feel that the reason so many comic fans don't like what ends-up on the big screen is due to the fact that they want to see the comic book stories on the big screen, sometimes panel-for-panel, in very strict and literal interpretations of what was published.  What works in a comic doesn't always work in live-action.  Taking a storyline that was told over the course of four-to-six issues or more and cramming it into a watchable 90 minute movie that the general movie-going public wants to spend money on can't be easy.  I think comic fans tend to ignore the fact that the movie-going public severely out-numbers the amount of people reading any given comic by as much as 100-to-1, and that the target audience (people that watch movies in a movie theater) doesn't read comics on a regular basis.  The movie-going public wants something visually interesting and entertaining that they can get into quickly, and they couldn't care less if in the comics Pyro was never an X-Man or Sue Storm didn't work for Doom before she joined the Fantastic Four or Batman had a dog named Ace.  Yes, it's cool to see the little "tips of the hat" in a film, like Jim Rhodes looking at the armor in "Iron Man" and saying "Next time", but I don't think stuff like that makes or breaks an otherwise good film.
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 05:48:03 AM »

Just curious:  Since "The Scarab" is being done by a "Canadian indie film production company", how is it being released in the USA?  Maybe I'm seriously out-of-touch with the world anymore, but I've never heard of the three other movies listed as being produced by "Brett Kelly Entertainment".  Will Scarab be a direct-to-video DVD in the US or will it make it to the big screen?

Hi
The movie will most likely be direct to DVD and available in the US.
All of my previous films currently in release are in the horror genre (My Dead Girlfriend, Prey for the Beast, Kingdom of the Vampire), since then I have directed a couple of other  bigger budgeted (by my standards anyway), non-horror films that are awaiting release (Pirates: Quest for Snake Island, Iron Soldier).
They are a niche market but are all available in the US and are also easily attainable worldwide via amazon etc.

Thanks for asking!

ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 09:42:47 PM »

I understand why people are against revamps of characters they like, but I imagine that the company's point of view is "Was so-and-so a successful character?"  As much as people professed a love for the Ted Kord Blue Beetle (myself included), his series didn't last past two years, he was only a supporting character in Justice League, and all but dropped off the face of the Earth for years before his death in "Countdown to Infinite Crisis" (a story I liked very much, if I may be honest).  The new Blue Beetle hasn't done much better, with a cancelled series, but should DC have tried using a character that didn't sell before or take a chance that the updated version would fair better?  It's a tough call to make, but they gave it a shot and it didn't work out.

Just to be clear, I wasn't bashing DC for taking a beloved character and "messing around" with it.  I was bashing DC for taking a failed property and turning it into, well, a failed Latino property.

Actually, that's not quite true.  They had a good story for the new Blue Beetle, and I'm glad they gave it a shot.  Even if it wasn't a commercial success, I'd call it a strong artistic success, and I very much hope it's the forerunner of things to come.

I was actually targetting the new Crimson Avenger.  And the new Judomaster.  And the new...well, you get the idea.  I have trouble imagining what DC editorial was thinking when they green-lit "let's take some heroes that we can't get to sell and replace them with foreign chicks that are otherwise identical to the original that nobody remembers."

(Likewise, my problem with the various superhero movies is that they, in general, simply aren't good movies.  They're tidbits of comics as set pieces and in-jokes, strung together with a boring plot.  Or it's a revamped origin.  Bo-ring!  I wanna see character development and action in a movie, not a shopping spree, fashion show, and scrolling blueprints, which is what most superhero movies end up presenting.)
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 06:36:09 AM »

You will be filming this in widescreen, right?
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 06:20:14 AM »

yes indeed- widescreen is a guarantee. First teaser image posted at http://thescarabmovie.blogspot.com/
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 05:27:07 AM »

First sneak peek at the Scarab costume at http://thescarabmovie.blogspot.com/

ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 07:24:05 PM »

A few pix of the WOMAN IN RED kicking butt are posted as well.
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 06:49:51 AM »

Just in case anyone is still interested- we just finished day 4 of shooting and posted a couple of new pix at the blog.

Enjoy!
ip icon Logged

geekgazette

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: geekgazette
message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 11:27:44 PM »

Good luck with the film. I'll definitely be watching it.
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 01:19:09 AM »

Thanks!

new pix posted. We wrapped everything that was in the script- but we added some "golden age" sequences that we will shoot in July :)

ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »

"Daredevil" fans- have a look at the blog :)
enjoy!
ip icon Logged

brettk

message icon
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 07:12:18 PM »

Hya Folks
Check out the trailer- the sound is temp, but here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULcLtPBiSbg
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.