in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

tidbits

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: tidbits  (Read 4073 times)

rez

• Past Member
message icon
tidbits
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:03:57 PM »

Found an old VHS copy of the movie Mister Roberts in my stash and recently watched it.
Saw an interesting thing in the last scene at the end of the show where the Captain, James Cagney, is shown sitting in his room and what is he doing?

Reading a comicbook.

Now this film was produced in 1955 detailing a time at the end of the war in '45.

Would they have put a Cap or Torch in there? Would they have been so percision minded in a comedy/drama to make sure it was a time related comic from '45 or just grabbed one off the stands?

It was a short view of maybe 10-15 seconds with the book's cover bent back around in true at ease comic reading fashion from then while he was sitting behind the desk with the top half of one of the interior pages revealed, 5 or 6 panels.

What stood out was the brilliant whites of the margin and what little could be seen of the back cover over the top at one point when he is readying to lay the book down which makes me think it a '55 new mag. The panels seemed to contain no people images but blue skys and industrial imagery like perhaps a silo, train or plane as what might be found in a war book.

Hard to distiguish much detail in the panels.

Just thought it an interesting tidbit to comment on seeing it was from 1955. Can't recall ever seeing a comic shown in any other movies 1955 and before.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:24:30 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Re: tidbits
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »

Okok, so maybe it wasn't all that interesting.

Here's an authentic superhero from 1959. Who knows what popular secret identity might this character, The Eagle, have been?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:09:07 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »

Looks a lot like the work of Dick Sprang to me which leads me towards World's Finest Comics so first guess is : SUPERMAN !

Second and third guesses: Batman or Robin.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »

Exactly, this has got to be from a World's Finest story.

ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 09:16:44 PM »

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!
Sorry folks, no winners here.
The question dealt with what was the popular identity of this character The Eagle. In other worls we take of the eagle mask and who would we see?

Be a stretch to say Superman, Batman or Robin donned a costume to become a costumed costumed hero but in comics stranger things have happen.

Might well be as strange to have a World's Finest Comicbook walking around as a secret identity, too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:28:10 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

phabox

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »

NOPE !

Looks like we were both wrong here Jon.

The man under the mask is none other then  Wayne's trusty butler ALFRED PENNYWORTH  !

This was a scene from "Batman's Super-Partner" in Batman_127 October 1959.

Next Question Please.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:29:14 PM »

DOOD! That was pretty good. Did you have that under yer hat or did you google it to find out?
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »

Be a stretch to say Superman, Batman or Robin donned a costume to become a costumed costumed hero but in comics stranger things have happen.

Wait, now.  I'm pretty sure that there are at least half a dozen stories where that's exactly the premise!  OK, they might not have been wearing both costumes at the same time (though there are probably about a dozen cases where they did when "subbing" for each other), but it's definitely not much of a stretch to assume that an arbitrary '50s superhero won't be the Last Son of Krypton or one of the Dynamic Duo.

In fact, in World's Finest, as suggested, you might make that your default assumption...
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 10:25:35 PM »

well, I just have to know if phabox had that knowledge or if he had to google to get it.

We all know that ANYTHING is possible in comics.

Cheers
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 10:40:44 PM »

A little Knowlege, recognizing that panal as being from a Batman family book but I got the answer from my copy of Mike Fleisher's Batman Encyclopedia.

No 'googling' for THIS old fashion guy !

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 12:24:01 AM »

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.