in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Mechanix Illustrated, Popular Mechanics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Mechanix Illustrated, Popular Mechanics  (Read 2437 times)

markwannop

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: markwannop
message icon
Mechanix Illustrated, Popular Mechanics
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:28:50 PM »

All the Fawcett comics (Captain Marvel, etc.) have ads for Mechanix Illustrated, in which no less a personage as the Big Red Cheese says we should have a look at the publication. I'm with Cap, the ads intrigue me, and I'd also love to read old issues of Poplar Mechanics, which goes back to the turn of the last century. Obviously it's not the purpose of this site to have scans of these, but if anyone can point me to a site that does cover this sort of thing I would greatly appreciate it.
Some of those old issues had nifty construction articles, and the features of devices we'd have in the future (like 1970) are delightful science fiction (personal helicopters in every driveway or flying wheelless autos).
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: Mechanix Illustrated, Popular Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:19:20 PM »

I was under the impression that Scientific American had started selling scans of their oldest issues to DVD, but I seem to be mistaken.  Maybe I'm just thinking of the "Amateur Scientist" CD from a few years back.

Anyway, I did some poking around that ended in complete failure.  However, you might want to try getting in touch with Rick Prelinger's team.  I think of the Prelinger Archives as this site for the rest of the universe, except that they're primarily a library.

http://www.prelingerlibrary.org/

They're associated with the Internet Archive (archive.org, if you haven't seen it--there's a devoted Prelinger section), so they obviously have intentions of scanning things, and I do see Mechanix Illustrated on their list.  There are obvious copyright issues to clear before scanning them, of course, but they might be good people to talk to, and while I've never personally been in contact with him (something that I really should rectify), I hear Rick is a great guy.

Alternatively, if you live near San Francisco, they ARE a real library with (as I read the page) visiting hours and an offer to use their scanner.
ip icon Logged

LOHAD

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: LOHAD
message icon
Re: Mechanix Illustrated, Popular Mechanics
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:57:39 AM »

magazine freaks of the world, unite:

http://www.lohad.com/?p=2040

Enjoy!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.