in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

So who here collects Fanzines

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: So who here collects Fanzines  (Read 5477 times)

DOC

• VIP
message icon
So who here collects Fanzines
« on: January 10, 2009, 09:11:02 PM »

You know the clssics, RBCC, The Collector, The Comic World, Alter-Ego THE GOLDEN AGE COLLECTOR???

My fav is Don Newton, how can you not love his art???

Here is a great Newton site that needs your suport.

http://www.donnewton.com/default.htm?main.asp

Will post some fanzine covers later.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
Re: So who here collects Fanzines
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 09:44:17 PM »

I was lucky enough to be able to pick-up volumes 2 & 3 of "The Illustrated Comic Collector's Handbook" from SFCA really cheap.  As for any of the fanzines you mention, I've never seen them for sale in any of the shops I've visited in my lifetime.  I don't see them a lot on eBay too often, and when I do run across them there, they seem to go for more than I'm willing to pay.  It's hard to justify spending money on something if I don't know much about it beforehand, and when it comes to magazines or fanzines, I need to see them first-hand before making a decision.  In the case of the Collector's Handbooks, it was just too good of a deal to pass up, and I'm glad I didn't.

I ran across the Newton site about a month ago and enjoyed looking at all the artwork the site has.  It's definitely a very well done site and worth the time to check out.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:43:45 PM »

Back in 1971, Doc,
Bob Napier, Jan Strnad and I published ten or so issues of George, a fanzine review fanzine. It was later picked up as a column for several issues of The Monster Times. I remember most of those fanzines and many copies are still stuck away on shelves along with more sophisticated publications of the day. I still have my first printing of Squa Tront #1 and Witzend #1 and some reprints of the earliest Alter-Ego issues. Where did we EVER get the energy? It wasn't like today where you could go to a Kinko's and run off 100 copies. It was either mimeo, ditto, or (gasp) offset. Since I was working for a printer at the time, I always opted for offset.

I've got RBCC's going back I don't know how far. I was just looking through my list and discovered that the pages devoted to my fanzine collection have somehow disappeared over the years. The fanzines are still there, I just no longer know which ones I have. Sigh...

Peace, Jim (|:{>

ps. Don Newton was a consummate pro and the Charlton books he illustrated are treasures.
ip icon Logged

DOC

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 03:11:35 AM »

you're right, Jim. I think I remember your fanzines.
Here is the Fanzine History Section of the IF site. Will hopefully be posting more soon.

http://www.inter-fan.org/history/fanzinehist.htm
ip icon Logged

LOHAD

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: LOHAD
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:56:19 AM »

Don Newton really *is* great ... I loved RBCC -- especially Don Rosa's Information Center column ... great stuff! I still have a bunch of issues around here, along with Witzend and Squa Tront and The Comics Journal and a stack of others ... I unloaded a few recently on eBay, mainly to reclaim some shelf space; kept a bunch more, though ... I'm tempted to go read a few, but it's almost 2 a.m. -- arrgh!!! I gotta sleep!
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »

love Fanzines. For many years, when I would travel and go to various comic shops, the first thing I'd ask was if they had a box of zines -- the older shops usually did, and were happy to see someone interested in them.

I Loved Comic World -- I subscribed from an ad in TBG and got the final issue.  I remember that i contacted the publisher several times over the years about buying back issues, but he always understood me that I wanted them as replacements for the rest of my subscription and ignored me.  Heck, I understood the mag going under -- I wanted to BUY the back issues.

Inside Comics was another great fanzine -- Joe Brancatelli wrote for that one IIRC.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:25:27 AM »

Today I went to visit my old friend Dick Swan (bigguyscomix on ebay) at his new home up in the Santa Cruz mountains and his collecting specialty is old fanzines from the 1930s and 1940s. I wish I had more time to explore that aspect, but I rendezvoused with Bud Plant there and we spent most of the day reminiscing about the 1960s and looking at each others old comics.

But if you want to know about fanzines, Dick is a font of knowledge.

ip icon Logged

DOC

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 06:09:30 PM »

I have 2 fanzines from that era, one is posted on that link. So if you see Bud again tell him Tim Gula (Tim bought tons of stuff from Bud doing the 70's and 80's) and Lance DOC Boucher say hi. I met Bud a few times when I worked for Capital City Ditribution in Houston (why he used the Houston warehouse I never knew I think Bill Pearson was a previous manager). I also used to see GB Love come in from time to time.
ip icon Logged

moondood

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: moondood
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:07:36 AM »

I can't say I "collect" fanzines, but I do seem to have a lot around.  But compared to my (hard copy) comics collection it pales in comparison.

I recently bought a bunch of back issues of Alter Ego on eBay (all GA-related material, thanks to this site's influence on my feeble mind), I have some Squa-Tront, some DC Comics Amazing World issues...Various Artist tributes that seem fanzine-like--Kirby, Cole, Fine, Frazetta.  Comic Book Marketplace, something called Third Rail (1981), Amazing Heroes, Buried Treasure, Comics Feature, Comics Journal, and a ton of Comics Interview--man, I loved that mag---read it cover to cover every month no matter who was featured--artists, inkers, colorists, letterers.   Eventually became a letterer myself.  I was so into all the behind-the-scenes info.

Moondood
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »

Thanks Doc for the link to the Don Newton site and I look forward to a good rake through it. I've always loved his stuff, not only on The Phantom.
Fanzines- A friend of mine, from back in the time when we were involved in fandom and ran a shop, marts and cons, another Bob Napier, was a great proponent of fanzines and must have spent as much on them as on comics. Finally a few of us published our own under the same name as the shop - AKA.  I still have issues 1,2 & 3 somewhere, and I'm pretty sure one of the other guys who's still involved in fandom up here has the rest. It was great fun working on articles and soliciting art and the fights trying to put it together.  I'm not suggesting ours was on a par with some of the excellent titles mentioned but I hope we did enough to introduce folk to some other good but less well known aspects of comics at the time.  Exciting times.
Nowadays, I don't see many and the most recent I have are Alter Egos from 2005. Although I just found a copy of Gasp!! #1, published in Glasgow in 1983.  It may only have run 2 or 3 issues.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 03:41:44 PM »

If anyone has any fanzines to scan can they put them in their ftp folder for us to get? And if they do not mind could they be posted elsewhere?
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 04:19:49 PM »

Thanks Doc for the link to the Don Newton site and I look forward to a good rake through it. I've always loved his stuff, not only on The Phantom.
Fanzines- A friend of mine, from back in the time when we were involved in fandom and ran a shop, marts and cons, another Bob Napier, was a great proponent of fanzines and must have spent as much on them as on comics. Finally a few of us published our own under the same name as the shop - AKA.  I still have issues 1,2 & 3 somewhere, and I'm pretty sure one of the other guys who's still involved in fandom up here has the rest. It was great fun working on articles and soliciting art and the fights trying to put it together.  I'm not suggesting ours was on a par with some of the excellent titles mentioned but I hope we did enough to introduce folk to some other good but less well known aspects of comics at the time.  Exciting times.
Nowadays, I don't see many and the most recent I have are Alter Egos from 2005. Although I just found a copy of Gasp!! #1, published in Glasgow in 1983.  It may only have run 2 or 3 issues.

Bob Napier and I used to be roommates back in the early 70s and even worked in the same place. He and I (and Jan Strnad) published George together and by ourselves did one issue of Fandom Lampoon. I'm currently selling old comics and fanzines and books on eBay. Just search JVJ and check them out.

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 04:53:06 PM »

JVJ, I have a feeling we are talking about 2 very different Bob Napiers.  The one I know is/was a lift mechanic from Glasgow, affectionately nicknamed Doctor Bob, for his encyclopaedic knowledge and love of comics, especially the work of Toth, Kubert, Sickles, Caniff etc.  He is also the inventor of mezzanine drinking and telling pro artists what he really thought of their work.  All in all, a wee bit of a legend up here.
Thanks for the ebay tip, I'm off to check it out.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 07:01:06 PM »

JVJ, I have a feeling we are talking about 2 very different Bob Napiers.  The one I know is/was a lift mechanic from Glasgow, affectionately nicknamed Doctor Bob, for his encyclopaedic knowledge and love of comics, especially the work of Toth, Kubert, Sickles, Caniff etc.  He is also the inventor of mezzanine drinking and telling pro artists what he really thought of their work.  All in all, a wee bit of a legend up here.
Thanks for the ebay tip, I'm off to check it out.

Apparently so, Paw,
Mine still goes under the name Cap'n Bob and was the editor of Mystery and Detective Monthly. He's very much into Westerns and Mysteries and lives up in Washington State. Recently had his first book (a mystery) published. Obviously a different guy.

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.