in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Sherlock Holmes

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes  (Read 3062 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Sherlock Holmes
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:38:24 PM »

Sherlock has been moved from public access due to possible pd issues in the UK thanks to jcolag for pointing this out.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »

To clarify:  While "shortest term" almost always applies to foreign works, my understanding is that Doyle's works are still under copyright in the UK by one of those oddball retroactive extensions.  That could make the comics derived works under EU law, even though they're fully public domain in the United States.  Since this site is hosted and operated in the UK, though, it makes sense to defer to Serj, who should know the local landscape better and carries the risk of any foul-ups.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 05:10:32 PM »

Narf, please send Serj and Aussie a PM about this to be sure they are aware.
JC might have an opinion to share here as well.

Thanks,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:28:46 PM »

Not as much as you might imagine.  I don't keep up on cases, so I have no idea how friendly the Doyle estate is or if they still consider themselves owner of anything beyond the trademark, nor am I sufficiently well-versed in Doyle's work to say if the Charlton books are heavily derivative of anything still protected.

Sure, I'd guess not, since Charlton's licensed products (especially later) tended toward serious half-assedry (which I admittedly love), but that's such a shot in the dark that it's hardly a useful insight.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:37:10 AM »

Checking the indicia it is only copyright to Charlton so should be fine. Also they are all new baffling adventures so only the character is used. This should be a pretty easy ok for PD
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.