in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A Simon & Kirby Collection from Titan books is coming...

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: A Simon & Kirby Collection from Titan books is coming...  (Read 4283 times)

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
A Simon & Kirby Collection from Titan books is coming...
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:28:02 PM »

Hi Gang,
There's a 'Best of Simon & Kirby book due in the near future that I just heard about:
http://tinyurl.com/dc7xug

Be sure to scroll down to relpies #9 and #14 from Steve, the editor of the book.

Planned contents include -
"Trapping New England's Chain Murderer" (from Headline Comics #24, May 1947)
"Mother of Crime" (from Real Clue Crime Stories vol. 2, #4, June 1947)
"The Case Against Scarface" (from Justice Traps the Guilty #1, October 1947)
"Doom Town" (from Bulls-Eye #4, Feb. 1955)
"The Scorn of the Faceless People" (from Black Magic #2, Dec. 1950)
"Up There!" (from Black Magic #13, June 1952
"The Woman in the Tower" (from Strange World of Your Dreams #3, Nov. 1952)

S&K fans should be excited about this one - it sounds great!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: A Simon & Kirby Collection from Titan books is coming...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 10:09:37 PM »

As our old nemisis Mendryk is involved with this project I personal would be loath to put any cash in his direction after the way he came in here like a rabid dog calling us all manner of names last year. >:(

Maybe I might just pick up a second hand copy one day but that would be about my limit.

Also when I start reading about 'Original Art Restoration' I start wondering if maybe 'recreation' might be more apt.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 10:41:56 PM »

I didn't notice that anywhere Nigel but let's not get into all that again.
If I happen to see this in a store and the product looks worth the price I'll overlook the past.
But the odds on me seeing it are slim.  Book stores aren't as common as they once were here and I Very Rarely enter a comic shop anymore.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:36:37 AM »

As our old nemisis Mendryk is involved with this project I personal would be loath to put any cash in his direction after the way he came in here like a rabid dog calling us all manner of names last year. >:(

Maybe I might just pick up a second hand copy one day but that would be about my limit.

Also when I start reading about 'Original Art Restoration' I start wondering if maybe 'recreation' might be more apt.

-Nigel

I OWN all those comics, phabox.
Have one of the guys scanning JVJ comic request them for his next batch and then you can have them all sans "restoration" and sans cost. No need to get angry, just get comics!

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:26:40 AM »

Thanks for the kind offer there Jim, and mindfull of Yoc's request to keep away from this subject and not wanting to reopen old wounds lets just say that 'thanks' to HM I understand much of this Simon and Kirby material is OFF LIMITS to this site. :-X

So sadly for now at least I feel it best to decline your offer  :'(.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:31:58 AM »

Thanks for the kind offer there Jim, and mindfull of Yoc's request to keep away from this subject and not wanting to reopen old wounds lets just say that 'thanks' to HM I understand much of this Simon and Kirby material is OFF LIMITS to this site. :-X

So sadly for now at least I feel it best to decline your offer  :'(.

-Nigel

How soon we forget, Nigel.
Sorry, I simply forgot about the "old woundings" and the "non-PD" aspects of it all, but the next time you're in Palo Alto, drop by and I'll let you read ALL of the S&K comics. Heck, the plane fare will probably be cheaper than purchasing all the volumes in the "collection"... Of course, should you want to re-read them sometime in the future, you'll have come back again, but then I've got a LOT of other comics to make it worth your while.

A' Bientot.

Paix, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

phabox

message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 12:12:12 PM »

Thank Jim, I'll make a point of dropping by next time i'm passing  ;)

In closing and my FINAL word on the subject ( honest) I feel like most rightminded members of this forum we all have the utmost respect for Mister Simon and his rights to protect and indeed resell his work and indeed wish him well and hope these new releases do bring him some of the income that he is so long overdue.

Maybe had Mr. Mendryk came onto the forum, explained that these volumes were forthcoming and ASKED (rather then demand) that the S&K material was removed from the site so as not to harm future sales he might have ruffled a few less feathers.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »

As the Fletcher Hanks collections show this group is often willing to purchase the books even after having the scans. Essentially the scans are free advertisements.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:10:28 PM »

As the Fletcher Hanks collections show this group is often willing to purchase the books even after having the scans. Essentially the scans are free advertisements.

It's definitely easier to make a decision to buy something like the Fletcher Hanks book after seeing some of his work, in color, around the net [1st in a blog, then here].  It didn't hurt that I picked it up for half price, either.  It's nice to know that I don't have to fire-up the pc every time I want to look at a Stardust or Fantomah story.

As for the "Best of Simon & Kirby", I think I'll pass but hope it does well.  The planned "Superheroes" collection sounds interesting but I'ld need to know more about what stories it contains before making a decision on that.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 07:09:32 PM »

I don't know if I agree with that, but that's more because I lack any real data on the subject than because I've given the topic serious thought or analysis.  And, of course, I bring it up in case somebody has better information than I do.

What I do know is that (when there's surplus money on hand) I'm personally likely to buy products that I find interesting, regardless of whether I already own the equivalent material.  But that's more moral support and an interest in seeing MORE interesting products (that I might really want) than because I was "sold" by downloading something for free.  But, as I said, I don't know how common that idea is versus any other line of reasoning.

The only people that I can think of who might have worked out the details are folks like (author) Cory Doctorow and (songwriter/musician) Jonathan Coulton...but their data would probably be skewed, since they're well known for railing against big corporate copyrights and attract many fans from those demographics.  And Coulton recently posted a message on his blog that pretty much says that he doesn't know.  I seem to recall that Doctorow's opinion was something like his publisher is still signing him, so it can't be too much damage...but that's hardly scientific.

Regardless, though, copyright means that it's not our right to tell them how to distribute their work, whether we think it'll help or not.  I'm pretty sure, for example, that you could get into pretty deep trouble for running an advertisement in your local newspaper on behalf of your local mechanic, if they didn't ask you to do it.  It seems like a huge can of legal worms that's best not to pursue.  Especially when you consider that, once you release something digitally and for free, you can't un-release it if it turns out to harm your business.  Think about all the people who lost jobs because they weren't careful about what they posted, once, on Facebook--nothing really goes away.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from a software world, which has changed its mind on distribution more times than you can probably imagine.  I missed the boat on "software is just a freebie that sells hardware," but I can remember working on keyed copy protection (useless once you can copy a lot of information, like a whole disc), supplemental copy protection (dongles and "type the fifth word..." junk), benign neglect, charging mainly for support, and now circling the wagons and hoping for subscriptions.  For all the effort and resources poured in, nobody has made a single case that pirates are hurting the bottom line...but likewise, nobody has shown that they don't.  It's all instinct and emotional, which is a bad way to enact policy change.

(Now, newspapers, I don't understand.  They're still positively draconian about their intellectual property, even when it can only do a handful of people any good worth money or even time.  Because, y'know, the story is out of date as soon as it's printed.  So why make me jump through hoops to get at the archives when it's free to access at my local library anyway?)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 12:54:29 AM »

Other than JLA/JSA the only new comics I buy are those I first downloaded and liked. So in my case they were advertisements. The big argument over S&K was our carrying work that does not show that it was renewed which makes it PD domain regardless of the creator's desires. Not that I would not like to see Simon make more money. I think that most here that would buy the book will buy it even if some of the stories in the book are available here and maybe more because they liked what they saw here.
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »

I've had the book preordered from Amazon from the time it was first announced, but only because I know what the material is already like.  I have few doubts about the scans being advertising for the published book.  You hear a song on the radio, and if you like it, you buy it. You like a TV show you saw for free on network TV, so you buy the DVD set. You like a book series that you read from the library, so you purchase the new book by the author instead of waiting for it to be at the library. This is a time-honored business model that people are confusing with being new because of the computer being the delivery mode.

if your product is good, people will pay for a permanent version of it. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Wolverton Bible
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 06:43:40 PM »

I got my copy of this yesterday. Really neat I would recommend it. Literal interpretation of the OT and Revelation by Wolverton for the World Wide Church of God. Not PD so we can not carry it here but something for Wolverton fans.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.