in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Right book, "wrong" reason

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Right book, "wrong" reason  (Read 13892 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Right book, "wrong" reason
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:32:44 AM »

I just picked up an inexpensive copy of the Marvel Super Action one-shot magazine from the 70's.  The thing is, I really don't care that it's an early Punisher appearance; I wanted the Dominic Fortune story.  I was wondering if anybody else had books  they looked for for the "wrong" reason.  The fact that I'm more excited about Scribbly than Green Lantern in the few All-American issues I have is another example; and I might almost include the fact that I collect Looney Tunes for the Mary Jane and Sniffles stories might almost count.  (The catch there is that Looney Tunes is not that popular a title; the few people I know who do generally call the MJ & S stories their favorite.  But it certainly isn't what you would expect to be the popular feature if you're talking about the cartoons, not the comics!)

Just thought this might be an interesting subject for discussion; it's hardly profound.
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
Re: Right book, "wrong" reason
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:33:38 AM »

I would always pick up Chartons E-Man for some of its wild and wacky back ups sometimes featuring Ditko artwork on things like Killjoy and Liberty Belle.

Not to say that the main feature was not also worth a look  ;)

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 09:19:49 AM »

Myself, I picked up the MARVEL SUPER ACTION mag for the Weirdworld feature in the back, and the HULK! magazine for those great Dominic Fortune stories by Denny O'Neil and Howard Chaykin.  And those few folks who picked up CHEYENNE KID in the late Sixties probably did so because of the O'Neil / Aparo sf/Western/humor strip, Wander.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 02:47:43 PM »

I can't recall which specific issues, but I'm fairly sure I picked up several DC Comics Presents issues over the years for the "Whatever Happened to..." backup strip instead of the team-up with Superman.  I also overcame embarrassment a couple years back to buy the full Wonder Woman run (with some atrocious objectifying covers) that carried the Huntress stories.

Heh.  The worst is probably the summer that all DC's annuals carried "Who's Who" pages in the back.  I don't remember if I bought all of them, but I know I bought a lot of books I couldn't honestly care less about because I enjoyed the one-page character updates.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 03:31:13 PM »

Hey, I've been a fan of Fortune from when he was still a 'wee Scorpion' in the Atlas-Seaboard books!  ;)
And from there I followed his American Flagg in all it's good girl art glory.

I'm also a Robot-Man and Vigilante fan more than the lead features of both their books.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:39:41 AM »

I got several of the DC Comics Presents for the "Whatever Happened To" stories.  I bought the Somerset Holmes series to get teh Al Williamson drawn Cliff Hanger back-up.  Back in the late 50s I enjoyed the J'Onn J'onzz stories (when his presence wasn't known) more than many of the Batman stories in Detective, though I won't say I bought the comics just for those.

ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:27:47 AM »

John C -
The worst is probably the summer that all DC's annuals carried "Who's Who" pages in the back.  I don't remember if I bought all of them, but I know I bought a lot of books I couldn't honestly care less about because I enjoyed the one-page character updates.

You don't happen to know off the top of your head which year that was, do you?  I love the "Who's Who" series and didn't know DC had done that with the annuals.

Along those lines, and tying-in with the topic at hand, I get DC's "Secret Files & Origins" for the profiles, hardly ever reading the actual stories the books contain.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 03:23:48 PM »

You don't happen to know off the top of your head which year that was, do you?  I love the "Who's Who" series and didn't know DC had done that with the annuals.

Offhand, no, but I'm thinking '88 or '89 from vague memory.  The JLI book introduced the embassy staffs (staves?) and there was a crossover among the "mature" titles like Green Arrow and the Question.

I want to say that it was also the end of the "Superman in Space" run, but those may have just been design notes I'm remembering.  Still, whatever year that was would probably be worth a look--it's the striking Action annual with the half-naked (wearing his cape as a sash), bearded Superman on the Perez cover.

I wish I could be more specific, but boxes are in storage, and my hard drives are inaccessible until the new computer shows up--I'm using the "XO Laptop" at the moment, which won't do external drives.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »

Have checked the GCD cover galleries John?
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 12:03:23 AM »

Looks like it was the 1989 Annuals.  Thanks guys for the help.  Now I've got something new to look for!
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 11:41:31 AM »

I eventually did, and yeah, it's the '89 batch.  I just wanted to take care of the messages, and it's tricky to check multiple websites on this machine.  That's fine for normal use, but I'll be glad when the new laptop shows up (hopefully) today.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 01:25:18 PM »

When LSH moved from Adventure to Action I had to buy Action Comics not for that little Superman guy but for the magnificent LSH
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »

When LSH moved from Adventure to Action I had to buy Action Comics not for that little Superman guy but for the magnificent LSH

Legion Comrad,
I only wish I had not removed myself from comicdom in rebellion to the price increase to 15cents back then.

Then I would not have had to chase down all those Action and Suberboy issues later in life when my wits returned. Of course to some that might be a point of debate.

me thinks I had issues back then.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 12:10:36 AM »

Well bchat, now known as the witless wonder, I remember buying my dollars worth of comics and having to put one back because the darn price had gone up.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 01:58:29 AM »

Well bchat, now known as the witless wonder ...

???  Huh?!?!?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 04:19:21 AM »

Narf was referring to himself bchat, not you.  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 11:59:08 AM »

No I was actually refering to Rez's previous message where he questioned the return of his wits. I must have read an earlier reply from bchat and did not scoll up to make sure who I was referring to. Sorry bchat I was just poking fun at Rez's poking fun at himself.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 04:40:22 PM »

NEWS FLASH!!!

The Legion of Substitute Heroes inducts The WitLess Wonder into membership!
Hey, let's get everybody in on the act!  ;)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:42:25 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 05:53:08 PM »

I would agree that Tomahawk and Robotman are reasons to look for Star-Spangled, not the Robin cover feature. 

I usually like the Mr. Terrific and Wildcat stories better than the Wonder Woman story in any issue of Sensation.

The Vision stories were usually the best part of the issues of Marvel Mystery

Any DC war book that had an Enemy Ace backup got purchased, period.

I'd say Tales of Asgard, except that the Thor feature was just as good!

I definitely also bought DC Comics Presents for the "Whatever Happened to..." feature, but I also bought Brave and the Bold for Nemesis.

I never really cared for the Scalphunter feature that took over Weird Western after Jonah Hex got his own title, but the backups were characters like Cinnamon and Bat Lash that I did like (and bought the book to read).

On a similar note, Warlord got same-old, same-old after a while, but I usually liked the backups, including the Omac one that seems to get forgotten when people discuss the character.

I also tended to buy the Dollar Comics like Batman Family and World's Finest more for the Creeper and Man-bat and Hawkman stories than the cover features.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 06:36:57 PM »

Ah yes, you hit on some good ones kozmo.
Wildcat, Man-Bat and I didn't mind Rag-Man at the time.

Hey Rez, I must have done that adventure while I was hungover.  Have you seen my space car?
;)
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 11:38:19 PM »

Myself, I picked up the MARVEL SUPER ACTION mag for the Weirdworld feature in the back, and the HULK! magazine for those great Dominic Fortune stories by Denny O'Neil and Howard Chaykin.  And those few folks who picked up CHEYENNE KID in the late Sixties probably did so because of the O'Neil / Aparo sf/Western/humor strip, Wander.

Chaykin has run hot and cold for me the past several years but I'm really looking forward to him doing a new Dominic Fortune series.  I think I now have all of the earlier appearances that Chaykin did; from everything I've seen the character goes to hell when anybody else tries to work on him.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 06:33:59 AM »

Yeah, I burned out on American Flagg after the first brace of issues and Chaykin himself turns me off, but I still like his Dom Fortune.  Don't go NEAR his Blackhawk or Shadow.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 07:55:09 AM »

I can't disagree with your assessment of his Shadow book.  I will say that the follow-up Helfer/Baker series is one of the all time great cases of taking lemons and making lemonade.  They may not be good Shadow stories but they're utterly insane fun.

The first year, at least,  of American Flagg was good.  After that it may stand unique in the history of comicdom as the book that went to hell when Alan Moore started writing it.  ???
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 08:56:18 AM »

I've heard even Chaykin thought Alan wasn't "on" when he wrote that one.  Mostly, it's just Moore dredging up a lot of old dirty jokes.  His Mr. Monster story wasn't that special, either.  Mainly, Moore is at his best spiffing up corporate characters, though I did like a lot of his ABC stuff.
ip icon Logged

jfglade

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jfglade
message icon
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 04:13:21 AM »

"Poof Poof Piffles,
make me just as small as Sniffles."

I know of what you speak, (Other) Eric. I don't remember exactly what other feature appeared in the 'Looney Toons' title, but I certainly remember the Mary Jane and Sniffles feature, and even when I was five years old I actively sought out those stories, which I remember vividely, but I have almost no recollection of the the other features.

I feel no guilt for having bought anthology titles like 'Detective Comics' not for the Batman stories but to follow the 'Manhunter from Mars' series. I really find it hard to grasp that there could be a "wrong" reason for buying and reading any comic.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.