in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Looney Tunes Golden Collection!!!!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Looney Tunes Golden Collection!!!!  (Read 5137 times)

bminor

• VIP
message icon
Looney Tunes Golden Collection!!!!
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:34:52 AM »

I have been a big fan of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections that have been put out for the last few years. Volumes 1-6.

Well, I read online a bit a go that they are at a end.

Does anyone know why?

bminor
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Looney Tunes Golden Collection!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 06:16:43 AM »

We haven't gotten an exact answer that I've seen.  But Jerry Beck has said we'll still get more collections; they just won't be CALLED Golden Collections.  There may be format/ packaging differences.  But we will get more Looney Tunes, don't worry.

What I want somebody to release is a nice collection of the 100 or so public domain WB cartoons.  I've got the two Bosko disks and the Private Snafu collection, and a grab-bag of cheap PD disks, and a few I've found on line.  And, of course, WB has released quite a few themselves.
ip icon Logged

bminor

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »

Two questions.
1. What exactly are the cartoons in the public domain from WB?

2. How exactly did they come to be in the public domain?
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:26:41 AM »

Two questions.
1. What exactly are the cartoons in the public domain from WB?
2. How exactly did they come to be in the public domain?

I don't have an exact list; the only ones I remember off the top of my head are Hitting the Trail To Halelujah Land, Jungle Jitters, and All This and Rabbit Stew from the Censored 11; and all the Private Snafus.  They're PD because they were not renewed correctly.  (I'm pretty sure one of the big reasons they make such a big stink about "The Wild Hare" being the first 'real' Bugs Bunny is because some of the proto-bugs cartoons were not correctly renewed.

A lot of the early Boskos are PD, they're are a couple collections from Bosko video.  Oh, yeah:  "Any Bonds Today" is PD, as well.

I'll try and find a list of the PD shorts for you.  Please remember that restored or recolored versions are probably not PD, or at least I wouldn't want to prove they're non-transformative in court!
ip icon Logged

bminor

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »

I wonder where you could get a hold of some really nice prints of the PD cartoons that we are talking about.
Perhaps tucked away in the corner of small town theaters projection booth somewhere. (wistful sigh....)
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »

Here's a decent list of the Public Domain WB cartoons:

http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/DVDvideo/PD/

The quality I've seen has varied on the PD collections; it ranges from excellent to garbage.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »

Interesting link, thanks Eric.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »

I've desired copies of all those LooneyTunes I grew up with for quite a while now.

What is the best recommendation?

Cheers
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:30:34 PM »

I've been getting their Golden Age Collections now up to v5.
Some of the extras have been very well done.  Check you library - most have these.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 10:07:05 PM »

I see those 5 or 6 volume sets on ebay.
Are these completeist sets up thru the late 60s or are they just earlier PD collections?
Thanks
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 11:44:18 PM »

No they aren't just complete.  They are most 'best of' than anything.
No hard rules on anything in it or where.  Lost of reviews online.
Again, the library will almost for sure have them if you want to check them out before buying.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 05:07:43 AM »

If the quality is the same as right off the tube that would do it. Seen many an hour of those wonderful cartoons growing up. Kinda like old friends

Hmmm, Maybe I did make a wrong turn at DeAlbuquerque. ???
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:11:49 AM by rez »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 05:17:53 AM »

The bonus materials and commentary tracks are very good on most sets.
It's the perfect library item - expensive to buy but worth waiting until it's available at the library.

I was a Bugs fan before I found comics - well Daffy more so but I loved the BBRR Show growing up.  Finding out about the censored cartoons was like finding out about precode comics - Wow!
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 05:25:51 AM »

The golden collections are all rather random.  They're all excellent; I can't recommend one over another.  I might slightly suggest the 6th just because it has 15 bonus (unrestored) cartoons but the mix of cartoons and bonus features is great on all of them.
ip icon Logged

DOC

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »

I have a few Looney Tunes at home, one of which has notes from one of the contributors about the contents in the book. Will get info and post it here as I would like to know who wrote it if possible.
ip icon Logged

jrvandore

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jrvandore
message icon
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »

Does anyone know what is to be in this (out October 13)?

http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Tunes-Spotlight-Collection-Vol/dp/B002JOUNHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250443491&sr=8-1

Any chance there are some cartoons in that that weren't in the Golden Collections?
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »

According to TV Shows on DVD, there's nothing in this Spotlight collection that wasn't already out in the Golden Collections.  Ah, well.  We'll see what else turns up; maybe Jerry Beck will have something to say soon.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.