in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

What is the MARVEL and DC equivalent to...

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: What is the MARVEL and DC equivalent to...  (Read 8787 times)

tbdeinc

message icon
What is the MARVEL and DC equivalent to...
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »

What is the MARVEL and DC equivalent to Frankenstein, Werewolf, Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon?

ex.

Frankenstien = Hulk/??
Werewolf = Wolverine/??
Mummy = ???/???
Black Lagoon Creature = Namor/Aquaman

Anybody have thoughts on this?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: What is the MARVEL and DC equivalent to...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:50:29 PM »

Hmm, interesting topic.
But you forgot a couple of types that are used much more common in comics=

Mad Scientist
Igor
Doc Jekyll and Mr Hyde
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Robin Hood
Camelot + King Arthur

ip icon Logged

tbdeinc

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:47:46 AM »

I thought off starting off small...

hopefully people can recommend what Marvel and Dc characters closely relate to monsters/heroes of old...

Igor = Bucky/Robin (why this choice you may ask? cause he's a sidekick doing the bidding of the master)

G
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 03:53:04 AM »

Well, I picture Bucky not in the same way myself.
I know my Marvel better than DC but here's a shot -

Frankenstein = Hulk/Solomon Grundy/Bizarro Superman/Man-Bat
Werewolf = Werewolf By Night/The Demon (?)
Mummy is the most useless movie monster ever!  I can't think of any that sad in comics, sorry.
Black Lagoon Creature = Sub-Mariner/Black Mantha but not Aquaman who is a hero all the way.
Mad Scientist = take your pick on both publishers!
Igor = The Toad
Doc Jekyll and Mr Hyde = Mr Hyde, Abomination, Antman, Flash any hero with a chemical origin could fit.
The Scarlet Pimpernel = Batman, Starman, Tony Stark, GA Captain America, 100s more
Robin Hood = hmmm, I'm having no luck there.
Camelot + King Arthur = must be tired, I'm stuck here to.  I'm sure there are some though.

-Yoc

ip icon Logged

tbdeinc

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 04:34:31 AM »

Robin Hood = Green Arrow / Hawkeye? Hmm....

Dracula = The Shadow / MasterMind?

hmmm....
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 05:12:19 AM »

Hawkeye, good call.  Started as a thief, reformed, un-reformed, re-reformed.... died... undied... lol

Dracula - you might put Galactus in there.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:47:17 AM »

Marvel:
Frankenstien = The Frankenstein Monster
Werewolf = Werewolf By Night
Mummy = The Living Mummy
Black Lagoon Creature = Manphibian (one-shot character, appeared in LEGION OF MONSTERS b&w mag, definitely ripped off from the Creature).

DC:
Frankenstein = Frankenstein (from Phantom Stranger)
Somebody else will have to try the rest.  DC was never a big "monster" company.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 06:51:49 AM »

DM's being quite literal here.
I tried to think laterally - what character might display some characteristics of the monsters.

DM's right on the button if you want the real thing.  Hell, Atlas was built on Kirby Monsters before the FF came along.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

PeterC

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:38:24 AM »

I think you've got the wrong monster for The Hulk... he's definitely Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde, with the transforming and everything.... Maybe not so much the evil-ness though....

Peter
ip icon Logged

tbdeinc

message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 11:35:39 AM »

To darkmark,

Having translate the monsters directly to the Marvel or DC equivalents is tooooo easy...

The trick is to translate the monsters to Marvel/DC heroes or villians... that is an exercise...

ANNND a one and a two... okay, that's my workout for the week...

George
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »

What is the MARVEL and DC equivalent to Frankenstein, Werewolf, Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon?

ex.

Frankenstien = Hulk/??
Werewolf = Wolverine/??
Mummy = ???/???
Black Lagoon Creature = Namor/Aquaman

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Frankenstein = Red Tornado (SA)/Vision, Him
Werewolf = Star Sapphire, Eclipso, Rose & Thorn/Hulk (the idea of a good person transforming into someone evil or a force of nature, the Hulk's was even linked to the moon in his earliest appearances).
Mummy = Ibis, Negative Man
Creature from the Black Lagoon = Lori Lemaris/Silver Surfer (would like to be left alone, hopeless love)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 02:13:39 PM »

This'll probably run long, because it ends up depending on your definitions (sorry).  And yeah, like Darkmark, my first instinct was to point out that both companies have published each of these characters as well as characters that are direct modernizations of same.

The literary Dracula is an upper-class plague carrier; he's got cash and status, but spoils everything he touches.  To me, that screams Luthor and Magneto.

Shelley's Frankenstein is an abused child lashing out without thinking of the consequences (and finally just wants to be alone), who sounds like the Joker (and Batman, actually) on the DC side and...uhm...like, everybody at Marvel, most weeks, though I know at least one writer actually inserted that very backstory into the Hulk.

Werewolves, normal people who become destructive?  There are probably too many to list, since it's become a villainous archetype that every hero seems to grab, Man-Bat being the most obvious.  I'd also include "infecting" villains like Starro, who are essentially using "human shields" against the heroes.

Classic mummies were actually sort of like the Greek Oracle, so take your pick of any dedicated information soruce.  The movie-ish version that curses people so they eventually get killed by a dude wrapped in toilet paper...?  I've got nothing, probably because it doesn't lend itself well to the medium, though I suppose that any bounty hunters might qualify--they take the contract and follow the target.  So...Deathstroke?  Yeah, he's about that exciting.

The Mr. Hyde types aren't just chemically-based, they ideally should be characters who are apathetic unless under the influence of a (probably addictive) drug (or other source).  Hourman's modernizations are probably perfect examples, though I'm sure there are many others.

If the Robin Hood types are those who are violently trying to change the world order because they've been punished by government oppression, that'd be the X-Men's core principle, no?  DC has fewer of those prominent, though Oracle may qualify, depending on how you view her.

I hope that's of some use, at least.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »

Nicely done John
:)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 08:49:04 PM »

A couple of other items came to me while I was grocery shopping (potatoes and kale, if you must know).

Frankenstein's monster, if you get rid of the anger, also very strongly resembles Superman, especially the Weisinger interpretation.  They both know they're very different from everybody around them, occasionally whining about it to anybody who'll listen, are rather obnoxious to their friends, and have a dizzying array of powers and abilities that make no real sense.  I suppose that they were also both abandoned by their fathers shortly after birth, to boot.

I also forgot the best example in the werewolf mold:  The Outsider.  When Alfred died, Batman faced a bizarre villain with surreal powers who seemed tied to...the Moon.  Sure, werewolves tend not to turn cities into candelabras, but you have to make some allowances.  It was a different time...
ip icon Logged

Mr. Izaj

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Mr. Izaj
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 04:02:20 AM »

In my opinion:

The Frankenstein Monster: Definately Solomon Grundy, mainly becasue Grundy was created by decaying vegitation and the body of a dead man. Similar to the Frankenstein Monster being composed of the parts of corpses. On the heroic side, such android heroes as the original Human Torch and the Vision simply because of the fact they were created by human scientists.

Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde: Definately the Hulk. Also Eclipso fits the Jeckyll/Hyde characterzation as well.

The Mummy: Ibis the Invincible. His origin read like the 1933 version of The Mummy which starred Boris Karloff as Imhotep. But unlike Imhotep (who was an animated mummy in human form), Ibis and Taia retained their humanity.

Dracula: Besides Dracula himself (thanks to Marvel's excellent Tomb of Dracula series), Morbius, the Living Vampire.

The Werewolf: The Man-Wolf. Also Man-Bat fits the characterzation as well.

ip icon Logged

Mr. Izaj

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Mr. Izaj
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 04:08:41 AM »

Although Green Arrow owed a bit to Robin Hood - he was described as a streamlined Robin Hood by co-creator Mort Weisinger - he was also inspired by the title character in Edgar Wallace's 1923 novel The Green Archer, which was twice made into a movie serial (in 1925 and 1940).
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 04:13:25 AM »

We forgot another one -
The Werewolf: Spidey villain Man-Wolf
Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde: The Lizard
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.