in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A fun book I just got

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: A fun book I just got  (Read 2785 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
A fun book I just got
« on: July 21, 2009, 07:36:48 AM »

... but can't post here:  Adventure Comics 82.

This is as close to a platonic perfect GA book as I can ever recall seeing.  Sandman by Simon & Kirby, Starman by Meskin, Shining Knight, Genius Jones by Bester and Kaye (a vastly underrated series), Manhunter, Hourman by Bailey, and some filler gag pages by Henry Bolitinoff.  That lineup, which I think of as the 'classic' Adventure comics series, only lasted about seven issues.  DC has never reprinted many of its anthologies as complete issues, and most of the few they have are key books that just don't have the "classic" mix of features.

I have less interest in the Marvel digital comics, in no small part because such large chunks of their history is already out there in essential editions.  But I would love to see DC do something similar to make the GA books available somehow.
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
Re: A fun book I just got
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:38:53 AM »

I didn't know Meskin did any Starman, that'd be cool to see. Sounds like a great mix of characters and creators.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:35:45 PM »

Congrats on the purchase.  It sounds like a great book going by that line-up of artists.
:)
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 05:49:52 AM »

It is.  I personally think Burnley is the better Starman artist, but that's suitability of artist to character, not raw talent.

According to GCD, it was Pierce Rice on Manhunter with a Kirby script, and Louis Cazeneuve on Shining Knight.  Both of who, while not as impressive as the rest of the creator list, are certainly better than a lot of GA artists.  And the book, while obviously not very high grade, was cheap at the $70 with shipping I paid for it. (I would call it about a 1.5; and it's good for a 1.5 if that makes sense.  Just the number or name grade makes it hard to tell what the book actually looks like that low; I've seen books accurately graded fair/good all over the place in terms of eye appeal and such.)

My current crazy goal is to complete at least a survey of Adventure, with at least one issue a year.  No way I can afford a complete run, but I can at least get a nice sample.  And lets be honest, other than the 8 Frazetta issues how many issues do you really need from 103-246 to get a feel for the book?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:55:51 AM by OtherEric »
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:43:04 PM »

You have any of those 8 Fraz issues?
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »

Two, 155 and 161.  Those, I would love to get all of.  Most of the reprints of Frazetta's DC work I've seen just loses some detail when you see it on the glossy paper.  The 161 is, unfortunately, probably the least impressive of the Shining Knight stories he did.  155 may be the best, though, and it looks just stunning.  (159 also looks like an incredible issue, even with the loss of detail on the reprints I have.)

I'm half-seriously thinking of trying to get (almost) all of the Frazetta DC work, as near as I can tell he only did 18 stories for them.  Mystery in Space #1 is a bit past what I want to pay when I've already seen a reprint, but the rest should all be in the not-too-insane for a low but decent copy range.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 04:05:38 AM »

Rather moving account in Yoc's post on the other thread.
I've a friend collecting fraz' work and chases them down at shows and online.

Two, 155 and 161.  Those, I would love to get all of.  Most of the reprints of Frazetta's DC work I've seen just loses some detail when you see it on the glossy paper.  The 161 is, unfortunately, probably the least impressive of the Shining Knight stories he did.  155 may be the best, though, and it looks just stunning.  (159 also looks like an incredible issue, even with the loss of detail on the reprints I have.)

I'm half-seriously thinking of trying to get (almost) all of the Frazetta DC work, as near as I can tell he only did 18 stories for them.  Mystery in Space #1 is a bit past what I want to pay when I've already seen a reprint, but the rest should all be in the not-too-insane for a low but decent copy range.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.