in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Did you miss me?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Did you miss me?  (Read 5595 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Did you miss me?
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »

It has been nearly a week since I have been around. But what a week! I got back from the N.E.A. Republican leadership caucus in Washington, DC. The NEA is thought of as being a totally Democrat group. There are actually a third of the members who are Republican and 140 attended. We are no longer going to be a silent minority. We scheduled meetings with several legislators from our states and attended various meetings and activities. Micheal Steele the chairman of the RNC is a great guy. Went to Republican Mainstreet Partnership dinner where I got to meet Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood who was an honoree. We had an $80 (trip and expenses paid from our dues not your taxes) meal there over triple anything I had eaten previously. I would say it was actually worth it, not from the standpoint of the meal or what we learned from it. It was from the opportunity to let all those in attendance know we existed. They were shocked that there were even 140 of us let alone a million more at home. Same reaction from the legislatures we met with. We were only able to schedule a meeting with Senators Corker and Alexander's aides. However, while waiting at the gate for my flight home who should be sitting there with no one beside him? Senator Bob Corker who was very gracious and allowed me to bend his ear for 15 to 20 minutes. That is more time than you would likely get if you get in to see an actual senator. He is a fantastic guy and flying back coach on a small jet not wasting your tax dollars.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Did you miss me?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 03:41:22 PM »

Hi Narf!

It sounds as if you had a great time in D.C.  :)

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 05:23:02 PM »

Had a great time box. Came back completely exhausted but would not have missed it.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »

Welcome home Narf... now get back to work!
(joke!)
;)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »

Had a great time box. Came back completely exhausted but would not have missed it.

Welcome back, narf.
EVERYONE should go to Washington DC at least once in their life. It's an awesome place, in the very strictest sense of that word.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 06:08:44 PM »

Welcome home Narf... now get back to work!
(joke!)
;)

Well Mr. Yoc
I have already pulled whiz 115 off the ftp. Rezipped it and put it up in a link that works since the previous was not working. What have you done today?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 06:15:56 PM »

LOL,
Just take a look good sir.
DM was a busy fellow last night as I was all week. 

The uploaders were very active during your trip.
18 books went up in one night alone!

I'm certainly glad to see you back pitching in again!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »

Thanks Jim.
Been there before. This time was assuredly a business trip. Did have time for a quick walk around. And I agree everyone should visit DC. While there eat at Malaysia Kopitiam on M st between 18th and 19th. If you are from a less cosmopolitan area, like I am, you do not have the ethnic food varieties to try so go for it. I loved it and you should try their Malaysian specialty dessert Ice Kachang. The menu us in both spicy and non-spicy so something for everyone. An unpaid endorsement for those who might want something different.
[/quote]
Welcome back, narf.
EVERYONE should go to Washington DC at least once in their life. It's an awesome place, in the very strictest sense of that word.

[/quote]
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »

Glad we have a fellow Republican here.  Stay cool!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 11:08:48 PM »

Conservative comic collectors are a minority with republicans being an even smaller minority. It strikes me as somewhat strange given the mercenary nature of most superheroes. Crooks get the crap beat out of them without some lawyer saying there was mitigating circumstances or paper work not filed properly. Other than not killing crooks like they deserve mainstream comics are pretty conservative. Now there are the far left indy comics but the old guard are pretty conservative.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »

The problem is that politics has become and end in and of itself, or the parties define themselves by effective non-issues like which segment of the population should be even more taxed, the degree to which our police should be militarized, which citizens should be deprived of weapons, and precisely which countries we should really be invading.

(Note  I'm a registered Democrat.  Why?  Because Selective Service registration was part of the social studies curriculum and we were instructed--presumably illegally, now that I think about it, but their reasoning was so we could see more junk ma...literature--to only sign up for one of the two parties.  The coin landed tails.  No metaphor.  Actual physical coin.)

Anyway, my view on comics is that the Comics Code pretty much mandates what has become the classic "Liberal" perspective.  You respect and obey your government and corporate institutions.  Those who oppose these institutions are absolute villains, whereas those who defend the institutions are heroes...as long as they turn the villains over to the exer-expanding police force and social programs.  Seriously, name a classic Silver Age hero who doesn't regularly get his or her mandate directly from some sort of government (or military-industrial corporate) institution.

Seriously, contrast a typical JLA adventure with a typical JSA adventure.  Whereas the League protects valuable resources like uranium (for corporations to make a profit by selling bombs to the military, and occasionally overcharge the people for cheaply-generated electricity), the Society was feeding the hungry or putting an end to all war--personally and cheaply, I might add.

The "Age of Relevance" certainly didn't help, with that touchy-feely Hippie crap that Liberals have since taken as their watchword and has become THE distinction between the parties, for the most part.  Let's not debate the collapsing money system or our overseas relationships.  Let's instead bicker about whether people should be taxed directly or let businesses pass along the burden.  Or whether we should fine people who don't have medical insurance, as opposed to wondering if maybe the AMA and the insurance companies are causing the problems.

Since that point, the message has consistently been that heroes who take the law into their own hands are brutal, disgusting vigilantes who deserve no praise except from thirteen year old boys who like gore.  Thanks to Miller and Moore, we've also been treated to words like "fascist," to describe characters who are in any way against the government, ironically enough.  The bad guys are also Republicans, because the "Republican platform" has involved war, I guess, even though the Democrats have seemed perfectly happy to be just as bloodthirsty overseas for as long as I can remember.  Surely, the Clintons had nothing to do with Iran-Contra; the use of Mena Intermountain during Bill's governorship was clearly a coincidence.

I guess it's a long way to go for the point, and I apologize for what seems to be an antipolitical rant in part, but to me, superheroes aren't so much "Liberal" as they are...patsies.  They spout the party line, whether that's "banks are good," "let's kill brown people," or "trust Big Brother."
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 03:10:26 PM »

I'm a registered Democrat as well though I'd say I'm an independent.  The primary reason is voting in the Republican primary is nearly pointless in Connecticut as it was even more so in Chicago, my previous residence.

ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:12:59 PM »

Seriously, name a classic Silver Age hero who doesn't regularly get his or her mandate directly from some sort of government (or military-industrial corporate) institution.

Spider-Man would be the most obvious.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 03:17:43 PM »

Seriously, name a classic Silver Age hero who doesn't regularly get his or her mandate directly from some sort of government (or military-industrial corporate) institution.

Spider-Man would be the most obvious.

heh
Wonder where Hulk, Thor and the Silver Surfer would fit in with all this.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 04:04:28 PM »

Spidey's a valid counter-example, and the only one that rings true, I think.  However, it's worth pointing out that he pretty much single-handedly overthrew the Comics Code (the anti-drug issue, though GL/GA helped).  And it's also noteworthy that Spider-Man typically stops a typical crime in progress and leaves the perpetrator in the hands of the police, just as if he worked for them directly.

The Hulk doesn't count, since he's a monster rather than a hero, Avengers membership card or not.  And if you include his Avengers membership, remember who foots the bill for that little operation.  Ditto on Thor, who also has a Guardians-like mandate from a god.

And the Surfer...?  I don't know.  He starts out working for a villain and then just...wanders.  It's like a romance comic with Michael Bay directing.  I really don't know what to make of that.  Or the simile.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »

The Surfer wears no clothes and appears to lack genetalia and was a hippy hero after his first appearances.

TN does not have party registration you choose what primary you wish to vote in each time. I remember the first time I went to vote. It was a primary and I did not know the difference. I told them independant because I am not a true Republican. I got a nearly blank ballot with a few local referndums.

The system causes politicians to pander to special interests to get the money for re-election.
I would be Constitution Party if they had a chance. I am Republican by default only. Both parties actually have some great indviduals who get frustrated because they are stifled from getting anything done. Then they are forced to pander for funds. Our current system is nothing but legalized bribery.
Then there are those in it for the power and prestige. One former congressman who spoke at one of our meetings kept saying that there should be stipulations before states are given money. I could not get hm to understand that it was money from the states that they were returning after wasting 60%. If they just would not take it in the first place the states could have the whole 100%. He looked at it as the federal governments money I look at it as the states money first. If I were president some of my first executive orders would eliminate many departments of the Fed.
Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or Independant I think you could feel good about electing Bob Corker.
He flies commercial and coach which is how I got to talk to him. He listens and I believe has very high integrity. I have a friend who worked with him in Chattanooga and would say the same.

For those who do not know the Libertarian and Constitution parties believe the government should only do what the Constituton says they can do. Libertarian being fiscally conservative and socially liberaly, the Constitution party being fiscally and socially conservative.
ip icon Logged

Palooka slim

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 05:59:29 PM »

I'm a registered republican but after reading narfstar's definition of the constitution party i would say thats more in line with my beliefs .I was rooting for Bob Barr or Ron Paul last election but i knew they never had a chance especially with the media ignoring them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:05:58 PM by Palooka slim »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »

I believe Ron Paul is more Libertarian while Barr would be Constitution. Paul is a social liberal
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.