in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Mozilla Firefx update.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Mozilla Firefx update.  (Read 3560 times)

phlogiston2010

message icon
Mozilla Firefx update.
« on: October 01, 2018, 01:33:18 AM »

5 or 6 times in the last couple of weeks , and not every time i visit, CB+ goes to a "you don't have the latest Moz Firefox. Download now" It looks authentic with the Moz logo but my anti virus rejects the attempted download. I know it is not being done by you and this is to inform and see if any others have had this problem. It has happened only here, not on any other site. I am in Australia. No not Austria. No kangaroos in Austria.  Cheers. Alan
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Mozilla Firefx update.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 03:17:16 AM »

Alan, I am also in Oz, (somewhat obviously). I have never had any trouble downloading from CB+ but I have this kind of trouble downloading things from other sites. This will be a specific problem with your own PC. Advertising bots seem to latch onto downloading sites at times so they can latch up their hits to justify revenue.  So you find you need to click something before you can complete the download.If you download a lot, this is becoming a worse and worse problem. I use Firefox as my default browser with CB+. A few years back a lot of people left Firefox and went over to Chrome. I strongly suggest that those people switch back, Firefox Quantum is the latest download and it is at least as fast as Chrome and is stable and secure. And does not track you! I use the browser add-ons Add-blocker ultimate, Privacy Badger and Ghostery (Which list and block trackers. (They tell me that as I write this there are 9 trackers attached and one is blocked. Where ever you go on the net you are always tracked by Google ( minimum of 3 trackers every time.) One thing you need to do is Always delete cookies every time you close a session) That's one of the sources of trackers. You can set up most browsers to do that. I also use more than one browser and have found that if I'm having trouble with trackers or slow downloads in one, I don't have the same trouble in another browser. My main second Browser is YANDEX, which I also recommend, you also have AdBlocker in Yandex and a range of other security add-ons. YANDEX is based on the OPERA engine. YANDEX is Russian but has the best built-in translation of any browser I have come across.     
Interested to know how you get on.
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

phlogiston2010

message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 05:12:00 AM »

Thanks for that. I don't have trouble downloading from CB+. It is just this irritation that has popped up lately. We shall press on and see how we go. 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 04:27:00 PM »

I use Firefox but the "other" browser that I often use is Vivaldi, and search on it with duckduckgo. Vivaldi is fast and now has Qwant available and it seems to be as private a search engine as you can get.
Opera, with it's built in vpn is a good option for privacy.  Downloading from CB+ isn't and has never been a problem, nor am I seeing the "you don't have the latest Moz Firefox. Download now" thing. I have an ad blocker also, so perhaps that's helping.  I will try Yandex as I like footering with different browsers and search engines, and I will now add Privacy Badger to my suite of crap blockers. 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 02:16:31 AM »

I've just installed Vivaldi, (Last Week) but i can't work out how to block ads with it or default it effectively for private browsing. Would appreciate some tips.
There is also WATERFOX, (a Firefox variation) which looks interesting, haven't tried it yet.
https://www.waterfoxproject.org

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »

I've been using an older version of PALEMOON (a Firefox fork) on an XP machine for a few years and until the last few months been extremely happy with it.  Just lately it's been more sluggish and I've been looking for alternatives but haven't found anything better so far.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

phlogiston2010

message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 04:03:33 AM »

Well. I have been in and out of CB+ a couple of dozen times over the last few days without any further Mozfrfx attacks.  I seem to be clear. I am glad it was just me and not others also getting it. And i have now added Privacy Badger. And i am sorry , but someone has to say it, "Badgers. We don't need no stinkin badgers." Once again thanks for the help and advice.   cheers.
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »

Oh, I would get it whenever I clicked on a book.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

phlogiston2010

message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 02:29:02 AM »

Sorry. I'm back. Just logged on for the 4th time today and got it again. Straight to "you using an old version of .. etc etc. I just closed it down and ran Ccleaner. I have come back here straight away no problem this time. Whatever it is is very intermittent. I can't see a pattern yet.   cheers.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 03:41:04 PM »

I'm getting the fake Firefox update every time I try to log into CB+.  Not a problem as I know it's fake, but it'd be nice if it went away! ;)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 04:41:10 PM »

Nope, I'm not getting anything like that. I've signed in and out a few times today with no problem or dodgy notices.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 02:40:02 PM »

Still getting the Fake Firefox Update every time I try to log in to CB+ starting to find it a bit tiresome now! >:( 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 04:28:48 PM »

I could be trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs, but I'll take the chance. Sometimes this "alert" comes up when there is malware or malicious adware on the system, sometimes inadvertently downloaded with another programme. Malwarebytes can often show up and get rid of the malware and Spyware Blaster will often stop the rubbish getting on in the first place. And as phlogiston notes, sometimes a CCleaner scan will clear the rubbish. Let us know if you've had a go at these options and what happened.
I'm on W7 and have AdBlock and uBlock installed.

ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »

Hi paw

I'm running Total AV with real-time protection enabled and an IO-bit ad blocker, which is showing 12 ads on here as I write.  I scan with C-cleaner and Advanced System Care at the end of every session.  As I know Firefox does its own updates automatically, I can tell it's a fake and indeed if you downloaded it, you'd find it's from an unknown publisher. But why it continues to cling to CB+ I cannot say.  BTW exactly how do you suck eggs? I've always wondered!  ;)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »

Not a scooby.  Just something my granny often said. ;)
(Actually, I should have written "sook", as in, "Gie's a sook" when referring to a pal having a boatle a ginger, and keeping it to himself.)
Please excuse the nonsense. :-[
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 04:45:57 PM »

Hi all

getting a bit bored now! The phantom Firefox update STILL shows every time I try to log in to CB+ and to be even more annoying it's replaced the CB+ logo on my bookmarks with a big Mozilla-style M. Surely I'm not the only one still being pestered by this? And are the hosts of CB+ unable to do anything to eradicate it? It's all a bit weird...
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 10:34:23 AM »

Only thing I can think of, since this seems to be attached to your firefox link. Remove the link entirely, reboot and type the link in and try again. That doesn't work, remove the link again,and access CB+ from another browser altogether, like Waterfox, Yandex or Vivaldi.  A simple search on DuckDuckGo will find these. If you get the same problem with another browser, you really have got a doozy!

Cheers and good luck!           
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.