in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

An oddly placed ad

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: An oddly placed ad  (Read 3630 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
An oddly placed ad
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:04:37 AM »

So, I just got an old comic that had a half-page ad for Prize and Headline comics.  Only it wasn't from the Prize group, it was Adventure 85 from DC!  This is the second old DC I've found recently that had an ad for a non-DC book; I got a copy of More Fun 124 a couple months ago that had a full page ad for the Kilroys on the inside back cover.  I know this wasn't that common- I may not have a huge precode DC collection but it's not like my precode Marvel collection which I can count on my fingers.  Has anybody else seen this before?  Ads for related products show up now and then but ads for other companies books is really unusual.

Oh, and on a completely different subject related to the Adventure 85:  Simon & Kirby had stopped drawing Manhunter at this point, but the GCD credits Kirby as writer.  Is this just a wild guess by somebody, or did Kirby do writing for stories he wasn't drawing but were from his shop at this point? 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:09:04 AM by OtherEric »
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
Re: An oddly placed ad
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »

I've seen ads for ACGs and Prize comics in DCs before. I don't recall seeing other companies.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:58:35 AM »

Jim or Ed Love can better explain these things Eric.  There was something to do with a son-in-law running Prize so they'd do each other favours. 
I believe there's a Timely ad in a Silver Streak or vice versa very early on too.

-Foggy Yoc
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 05:27:36 AM »

Its amazing how closely many of the Golden Age publishers were linked together.

I believe one of the founders of MLJ worked as an accountant for Timely and at one point even tried 'headhunting' Simon and Kirby.

Of course nearly 20 years later S&K did wind up at the company formerly known as MLJ when they did The Fly and Private Strong for Archie Comics.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 05:54:38 AM »

Its amazing how closely many of the Golden Age publishers were linked together.

I believe one of the founders of MLJ worked as an accountant for Timely and at one point even tried 'headhunting' Simon and Kirby.

Of course nearly 20 years later S&K did wind up at the company formerly known as MLJ when they did The Fly and Private Strong for Archie Comics.

-Nigel

Hi Nigel!

Joe Simon did share the story that Goldwater tried to recruit himself & Kirby from Timely -- IN FRONT of Martin Goodman! :-) That had to be a hoot...

The source for this info is from the recent Captain America #600, "My Bulletin Board -- by Joe Simon".

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:59:51 AM »

Kirby very possibly was the writer of that issue of Adventure.  One writer detective in the know (Rich Morrissey?) asserted that the first two Captain America issues without Kirby art were drawn from Kirby scripts.  So it's not impossible...actually, more possible than the Timely sitch...that another artist took over Jack's script and drew it in a pinch.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 12:49:38 PM »

I noticed that Prize Ad as well. Don't recall what book I was looking through, but it was a surprise seeing the ad for Yank & Doodle in a DC book!

I don't really know all that much about the way the companies overlap and the many individuals that worked there and the inter-company politics. I like reading about the creators, the artists and writers, but the rest, the accountants, payroll clerks... My eyes glaze over usually within five minutes reading that kind of material. A few nuggets will stick out with me or a specific case when looking into something concerning the characters, it usually starts at the character level for me. Some of how they did business and the ramifications today seem byzantine such as the studios providing packages for different companies and characters traveling from one to another, sometimes with a name change, sometimes not. Of all characters why does Dan Hastings get published by almost every company not DC or Timely? I can understand Phantom Lady ending up at 3 different companies, but Dan Hastings?
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »

That's because certain characters were produced by shops and tended to move around when the shops did.  In addition to Dan Hastings, there was Lucky Coyne, Little Nemo, and even Bob Phantom before the last became an MLJ costumed hero.
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 01:44:47 PM »

Often a creator would take a character with him when he moved from one company to another.

George Brenner and 'The Clock' being a good example.

-Nigel
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:09:38 PM by phabox »
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »

Oh, I know that. It makes tracking copyrights a bit interesting. Just that of all characters, Dan Hastings? No one outside of a small subset of comic fandom would have any idea today who that character is, yet he sure got around back in the day.

Anyone have a scan of the earlier Bob Phantom btw? Other than his name and a reference to him, I've never seen any real info on the character and strip that I almost consider him more mythical than real.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 02:36:44 PM »

A classic example of a "wrong company" ad page has got to be the Mechanix Illustrated piece with Captain Marvel standing by.  I think I've seen it turn up in more than a few non-Fawcett books, and is often billed on eBay as a Captain Marvel appearance.  Which it is, I suppose...
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »

That's because certain characters were produced by shops and tended to move around when the shops did.  In addition to Dan Hastings, there was Lucky Coyne, Little Nemo, and even Bob Phantom before the last became an MLJ costumed hero.

A friend of mine told me about an ongoing conversation regarding Dan Hastings in an apa called PEEPS.

We are fortunate to have a number of his appearances here on GA-UK.

B.  :)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 03:35:59 PM »

Marvel Mystery Comics #2's ifc has an ad for Silver Streak Comics #1.
Both books were produced by the same comics packager so it makes some sense.
Lots of cross pollination in the golden age.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.