in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,841 books
 New: 99 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

What's your dream Superhero team?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: What's your dream Superhero team?  (Read 1936 times)

comixboonk

message icon
What's your dream Superhero team?
« on: February 28, 2019, 08:37:08 PM »

What's your dream Superhero team? I'm talking any number of characters (good or evil) from any number of time periods and publishers.

Personally, I'd go with

Fantomas (1964 version not 1911 version)
The Golden Age Mister Terrific
Rem Lezar
Niles Caulder
Purple Hood
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: What's your dream Superhero team?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:10:27 AM »

Apart from not being sure why an "evil" character would be a good fit in a superhero group, it's a good question.  It's been covered, sort of, when we were posting alternative teams a while ago.
Your suggestion is interesting to say the least and Rem Lezar stumped me.  However, it's an odd, downright crazy group you've assembled. I'm a fan of Fantomas and I assume you're using this version:-
http://fantomas-lives.com/fanto8.htm
If so, hats off to you. Great idea. 
You probably know then that there are new adventures of the original - circumflex over the "o" - being published in France. Or recently at least. 
Can't argue with the real Mr Terrific.  Niles Caulder over Prof. Xavier?  I'd go with him but a lot of fans might be shouting boo at you.
And so to The Purple Hood.  Not sure what to say apart from, are you sure?   Could just be Michael Jay's art, but it does put me off the hero.
A quick group from me - if we want to be obscure but still using in my mind, decently done characters:-
El Santo, when he had the jet pack;
El Duende;
Captain Atom - the Australian version;
Fantax;
Robert Lovett, from "Back From The Dead
and our very own British knock-off of The Big Red Cheese, Mr. Apollo.

I fancy creating a group of historical heroes and mystery men.  I'll give it some thought.
Thanks for this.
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »

I don't know that I have any such 'dream team' of superheroes. If you just listed the names of some long-running actual teams, I'd probably have some personalized line-up of past and/or new members that I thought would be an ideal mix. I guess the most important consideration would be to balance a team with members who have a diversity of talents or super-powers, but could still achieve a workable chemistry as far as teamwork was concerned. No idea, really, off the top of my head. When considering potential team members, I'd want to ask myself "WHY is this person on the team?", and the answer for me shouldn't be something like "Well, his costume and/or personality contrasts nicely with the others". I think I'd try to approach it with a little more logic than just "a bit of this, a bit of that, just because I like him or her". That said, as a mental exercise it's easier for me to approach by looking at the existing characters that have been published by a particular publisher. TBH, I'm not spending nearly as much time thinking about superhero comics as I was years ago. There are a lot of other genres that I've barely skimmed the surface of to investigate.

However, just to participate, I guess I'll take a more prosaic approach and say that I've always wished there could be an actual ongoing superteam of King Features adventure characters, composed of the following:

The Phantom
Mandrake & Lothar
Flash Gordon & Dale Arden (I'd be doing the Dan Barry/Bob Fujitani version of those characters)
Prince Valiant (some sort of time-travel, or they saved him from some eternal sleeping spell cast on him)
Hans Zarkov (good tech support is important)
X9 / Phil Corrigan (government liaison)

I see Flash as the natural-born leader-type, BTW.

And though they're not KFS characters, I feel like the team needs a little balancing on the female side, so...
Miss Fury (Marla Drake)
Invisible Scarlet O'Neil (Note that she and Mandrake are the only team members who can claim some sort of superpowers - maybe Lothar, if you presume he's somehow abnormally stronger than a human ought to be by rights.)

Now you may say, didn't they already do that in the late 1980s with the Defenders of the Earth cartoon, or just a few years back at Dynamite comics?  Well, those were largely underwhelming attempts IMO. DotE was a little too 'Super Friends', although the generational angle could have been interesting if written differently. Dynamite... just too frustrating to get into all the details.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:04:41 PM by positronic1 »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 02:59:43 PM »

Oh, that's good. All balanced and thought out. And using KFS characters.  I just jumped in with some from the top of my head, although we have examples of all of them on CB+.  But, I could make a team from DC Thomson characters. Or AP characters.  GG Swan has some and I've already mentioned Robert Lovett.
Yes, I agree about DotE  and Dynamite, who made a right mess of The Phantom, imo.
Your team reminds me of the lack of powers in Law's Legionnaires.  Apart from the lack of heroines.
I suppose that's the problem that you, and others  ".........not spending nearly as much time thinking about superhero comics as I was years ago", whereas, although I read very few more modern MMM titles, I'm still a bit of a superhero/MMM addict. Hence the appeal of all the other old, non-American characters. So this sort of exercise appeals.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 06:15:04 PM »

Using characters from a particular company, this time DC Thomson.
King Cobra:
Billy the Cat and Katie;
Thunderbolt the Avenger;
Amazing Mr. X;
and much deserved but also adding another female hero------The Cat(from Catch The Cat)

Billy wiki here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_the_Cat_and_Katie
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 11:31:10 PM »

I'm not really familiar with the D.C. Thompson characters, but I have to say King Cobra looks really interestingly-designed. Somewhat unusual too, to say the least, to see a hero character associated with reptiles, particularly snakes, which have been used endlessly as the motifs for villain characters. But then again, that was true of bats before Batman came along!

I recently spent some time sifting through all of the Harvey Comics titles here, and sorting out their various
superhero features, so let's have a go at a team of Harvey heroes. I guess this is sort of like pulling a bit of Roy Thomas schtick, creating a Golden Age superteam that didn't really exist at the time per se, except on numerous Alex Schomburg covers.

So let's start there, with the heroes most commonly depicted together in scenes from covers of SPEED Comics:

Shock Gibson
Captain Freedom
Black Cat
War Nurse (Pat Parker)

That's still a little light for a superteam, so let's add some more Harvey heroes:

The Human Meteor, Duke O'Dowd (from CHAMPION/CHAMP Comics)
Red Blazer (from POCKET Comics and ALL-NEW Comics)
The Zebra (from POCKET Comics and GREEN HORNET)
Scarlet Nemesis & The Black Orchid (*see below) - Slim pickings for female superheroes at Harvey, apart from their two SPEED stars, so I drafted these one-timers.

And I guess I shouldn't need to explain that we can't have the Green Hornet and Kato (wanted criminals) on a superteam, right?

Harvey actually had a ton of superheroes that made scant appearances, but never went anywhere:

The Phantom Sphinx - 4 appearances in POCKET Comics #1-4. Resurrected Egyptian wizard.

Satan, Lord of Evil - 4 appearances in POCKET Comics #1-4. Yes, the biblical Satan actually starred in his own comic book series. Seems like Harvey Comics' answer to The Claw over at Lev Gleason.

The Night Hawk - 1 appearance in ALL-NEW COMICS #1. Interesting-looking fellow with a dark blue costume, green trunks and boots. Large (Thor-sized) wings on the sides of his mask, and what look like talons on the tips and heels of his boots. Nice artwork.

Scarlet Nemesis & The Black Orchid - 1 appearance in ALL-NEW COMICS #2. "Operating a private detective agency by day, Rocky Ford and June Allen assume the roles of the mighty Scarlet Nemesis and The Black Orchid for their nightly crusade against crime, their identity unknown to each other." -- Fascinating premise! (PS... Do not hire them, they are terrible detectives.) Also some very nice artwork, with nicely designed, contrasting costumes.

The Scarlet Phantom - 1 appearance in ALL-NEW COMICS #2. Jack Winstead, ace reporter, gets an invisibility suit from his scientist father after he's shot by criminals. But if he's invisible, how can they tell what color he is?

Rocketman & Rocketgirl - 1 appearance in HELLO PAL #1. These characters made a few appearances from other publishers, I'm not sure exactly where, in stories supplied by the Chesler studio. Not sure whether they first appeared before or after Fawcett's Bulletman & Bulletgirl. Nice-looking artwork, anyway.

The Scarlet Sentry - 1 appearance in HELLO PAL #2. He looks like a super-Canadian Mountie, with the traditional hat, jodphurs, brown boots, yellow gauntlets, broad belt, and an all-red costume with a diagonal leather strap across his chest. He's bulletproof at the very least (although strangely vulnerable to a simple blackjack to the back of the skull), although his origin and powers are never explained. Makes me wonder where Harvey was purchasing his material. Leftovers from some shop work previously commissioned but never published? I like this guy! Maybe I'd draft him too.

Fly-Man - 2 appearances in SPITFIRE Comics. An early creation of Sam Glanzman, this guy comes off as a cross between DC's The Atom (Al Pratt) and Tarantula. He's short, like a fly-weight boxer. So... Fly-Man. No relation to the later Archie Comics' character written by Jerry Siegel in the mid-'60s, based on the earlier Simon & Kirby Fly.

Captain (Red) Cross - 1 appearance on the cover and in a 4-page text story in WAR VICTORY Adventures #3. The character seems like a male counterpart to War Nurse, and the single story is a teaser for a feature that never appeared anywhere (it was the final issue of WAR VICTORY).

The Wasp - 3 appearances in SPEED Comics #3 & 5, CHAMP Comics #19. Why Harvey felt they needed a knockoff of the popular Green Hornet, which they already published, I'll never know. Maybe the realization dawned after the first few appearances.

The Hand - 2 appearances in SPEED Comics #12-13. A disembodied, super-strong hand (and occasionally arm, when required). Able to float in the air, move about under its own power, change size, and write in letters of fire in the air. Origin not explained. Weird, but effective! Too strange for a superteam, though.

Mr. Q - 2 appearance in GREEN HORNET #11-12. Mr. Q wears a blue costume with red trunks, boots, gloves and mask with a big letter Q on his forehead and ? emblem on his chest. He's Operator 17 of the FBI (Q is the 17th letter of the alphabet, so naturally he calls himself Mr. Q). He uses smoke pellets to make his appearance as if out of nowhere, and a Q-gun that shoots harmless anaesthetic darts.

Robin Hood - 4 appearances in GREEN HORNET #7-10. "ROBIN HOOD LIVES AGAIN! None suspect that young Doctor Fairbanks is also the modern Robin Hood - Who strikes terror into the hearts of the wicked" And he does that wearing short pants. Very much 'Green Arrow', but some nice artwork.

Scarlet Arrow - 2 appearances in BLACK CAT #5 & 6. Same deal as above, but with a more elaborate, quasi-historical costume, complete with broad-brimmed, feathered hat, knee-high boots, pointy mustache and beard.

The Red Demon - 4 appearances in BLACK CAT #4-7. A judge who takes on the role of a masked vigilante in a devil costume in his spare time, to speed the process of justice along. It played a bit like Marvel's Daredevil, if you were to subtract the Black Bat/Dr. Midnite aspects of blindness. Yes, they really did like scarlet or red at Harvey.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:30:04 AM by positronic1 »
ip icon Logged

comixboonk

message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 12:38:19 AM »

I got some more team ideas

"The League of Extraordinary Tims":

Tim (Black Terror's sidekick)
Timothy (17th century Black Terror's sidekick)
Tim (Captain Wonder's sidekick)
Tim Drake (Robin)
Tim Holt (Red Mask)

Together they battle the "Sinister Scarecrows", some of whom aren't evil in the materials they originate from.

Scarecrow (Marvel)
Scarecrow (DC)
Scarecrow (Fox)
Scarecrow (OZ)
Scarecrow (Dr. Syn)
Worzel Gummidge
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 01:21:01 AM »

comixboonk,  I like your sense of humour combined with a thorough knowledge of the material. Full marks.
Worzel Gummidge? Nice one. Was there ever a Worzel Gummidge comic? Bound to have been. [This was a British TV character, for those who don't know. Played by an ex Dr Who as it happens.]   
Cheers!
Here's a real team which Paw (note his Avatar) will be interested in.
FREW comics in Australia are currently powering ahead with their revival of classic Australian characters. They feature these in Giant-Size Phantom which comes out about quarterly. They have been gradually creating a universe where all their characters interact with the Phantom.
In the latest issue they have started a serial co-starring:-
    The Phantom (natch)
    The Australian Shadow
    Sir Falcon (Australian)
    Catman ( Australian) complete with Jet, but Kit is away at school!

The story is about an international conspiracy, Its title is Scorpius and on the splashpage there is an image of a mysterious woman. If you are a regular Phantom (comics) reader you will probably get the double reference. Falcon and the Shadow are based in Britain so the story begins there. It was a good read. I expect that there might be other characters introduced before it is finished. These characters are all 'Men of Mystery' so no superpowers except maybe superstrength for one villain.

While I'm on the subject of Australian characters - The next issue of Giantsize Phantom will apparently have reprints of, 'The Mask 1' 'Grey Domino 1' and 'Jet Fury 1' among a heap of other goodies.
Some of these characters you can find in the (meager ) Australian section on CB+

And Last, sad news. Paul Wheelahan, creator of the Aust. Panther and Raven, passed away last year. 
Vale  Paul Wheelahan 1930 - 2018

no cheers.     

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:49:09 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

comixboonk

message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 01:29:42 AM »

Thanks, Panther. No, as far as I know, there is no Worzel Gummidge comic. I just figured another scarecrow wouldn't hurt.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 08:58:39 AM »

Citing age and Italian wine as an excuse, I seem to have created a team with a foreign intruder.  Thunderbolt is an AP hero, from Buster.  So, back to the drawing board, and I think I will replace him with General Jumbo. 
Panther, I'm intrigued. Sounds absolutely wonderful.
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 11:09:50 PM »

The Atomically-Irradiatated Animal Army ( Charlton Gives You More! )
  Atom Ant
  Atomic Bunny
  Atom the Cat
  Atomic Mouse
  Atomic Rabbit
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 12:34:26 AM »

Well, I had a look myself and yes there was a Worzel_Gummidge comic strip. I had a feeling I had seen it somewhere. Thought So.   Info here
https://britishcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Worzel_Gummidge

The Annual was 1983 tho,  not 1982,

Cheers.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 03:22:21 PM »

Right, back to square one, trying to get it right this time.
DCT - Dedicated Crimefighters of Thomsonville.
Using characters from a particular company, this time DC Thomson.
King Cobra:
Billy the Cat and Katie;
Captain Hornet;
Amazing Mr. X;
and much deserved but also adding another female hero------The Cat(from Catch The Cat)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 07:42:43 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 04:27:00 PM »

Crimefighters from British storypapers.
The Justice Alliance.

Black Whip;

The Night Hawk and Sparrow;

Flaming avenger;

Flying Justice;

The Phantom Protector (Hooded Unknown)

The Iron Man;
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 06:09:59 PM »

The Society of Perfectly Decent Chaps:-
Janus Stark - escapologist

Ferrers Locke - the great detective;

Waldo the Wonder Man - sometime criminal and occasional ally of the police.

Dolmann and his downright creepy puppets;

Holding this disparate lot together, June Gaynor, young detective, brave, intelligent, organised and who can call on the services of her uncle, Noel Raymond, a private detective who is helping June in her quest to unmask The Grey Falcon, master criminal.

Unfortunately, she might be being controlled/coerced by the arch-villain  Kato, who previously released The Beetles of Doom on an unsuspecting Britain.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 07:45:12 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

comixboonk

message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 06:11:08 AM »

Presenting...

THE LOOSE COALITION OF VAGUELY CREEPY DUDES

Rem Lezar - Team Leader, picks everyone up when they're down through song.

Captain Tootsie- Team Muscle, powered by 'Extra Energy'

Brother Power - Team human shield

Black Cougar - Team weapons expert, aided by gadgets and smaller versions of himself

Cool Cat - Team chauffeur, drives them around in the COOL CAT CONVERTIBLE
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:36:47 PM by comixboonk »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.