in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Any recommendations for good PD war comics series?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Any recommendations for good PD war comics series?  (Read 2091 times)

positronic1

message icon
Any recommendations for good PD war comics series?
« on: March 07, 2019, 05:52:24 PM »

Well, I've found ONE that I like... Captain Steve Savage. I was wondering if anyone knows of some particularly good war comics on this site. I'm looking for character-based series, as opposed to anthologies, and I'm partial to WWII as a setting. I also like air-war stories, when they're done well. Not a big reader of Navy stories, but for some reason I like the submarine warfare/underwater commandos type story. Haven't read a lot of Korean war stories, but I'd assume that's the biggest category here.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Any recommendations for good PD war comics series?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 01:56:38 AM »

Well, Mention of Captain Savage puts me in mind of his Silver Age relative, which was a navy-based comic on the Howling Commandos Template. Yet again the Silver Age raided the Golden Age for names and inspiration.
http://www.toonopedia.com/capsavge.htm
Korean War? There's Kirby's work for Harvey. For mine, nobody beats Sam Glantzman. Combat ( over in Dell) is all non-fictional WW2 stuff and stunning artwork. He also did an AirWar series for Dell.Forget the name. Glantzman was a seaman stationed in the Pacific during the War,  so USS Stevens which was a series he orgiinally did for DC (and available in collections now) is in my top-five of all time comic great series. Great Art, Great Stories, Human dimension, mainly anecdotes about shipboard life,short and sweet pieces and Autobiographical. And there's not much Comics work that's autobiographical. Glantzman also did a lot of work for Charlton. In fact Charlton has a lot of War comics and if you can handle the poor production values, there is some good stuff there. The EC War books are wonderful too,especially George Evan's Aviation stories. But unfortunately not here and not PD. (Evan's has criticized Joe Kubert's Enemy Ace on the grounds that Kubert did not know his planes!) Evans knew his aviation.   
I haven't yet looked closely at the Golden Age Blackhawk stuff, so I don't know how accurate that was re aircraft or even if many of the stories were focused on aircraft and then of course there's Airboy and Captain Midnight.
Anyway, have fun.         
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 06:20:29 AM »

Well, Mention of Captain Savage puts me in mind of his Silver Age relative, which was a navy-based comic on the Howling Commandos Template. Yet again the Silver Age raided the Golden Age for names and inspiration.
http://www.toonopedia.com/capsavge.htm
Korean War? There's Kirby's work for Harvey. For mine, nobody beats Sam Glantzman. Combat ( over in Dell) is all non-fictional WW2 stuff and stunning artwork. He also did an AirWar series for Dell.Forget the name. Glantzman was a seaman stationed in the Pacific during the War,  so USS Stevens which was a series he orgiinally did for DC (and available in collections now) is in my top-five of all time comic great series. Great Art, Great Stories, Human dimension, mainly anecdotes about shipboard life,short and sweet pieces and Autobiographical. And there's not much Comics work that's autobiographical. Glantzman also did a lot of work for Charlton. In fact Charlton has a lot of War comics and if you can handle the poor production values, there is some good stuff there. The EC War books are wonderful too,especially George Evan's Aviation stories. But unfortunately not here and not PD. (Evan's has criticized Joe Kubert's Enemy Ace on the grounds that Kubert did not know his planes!) Evans knew his aviation.   
I haven't yet looked closely at the Golden Age Blackhawk stuff, so I don't know how accurate that was re aircraft or even if many of the stories were focused on aircraft and then of course there's Airboy and Captain Midnight.
Anyway, have fun.         

I'm familar with CAPT. SAVAGE AND HIS LEATHERNECK RAIDERS (actually the U.S. Marines, not the U.S. Navy), and most of Sam Glanzman's (no "t" in there) war comics for the larger publishers -- his work on The Haunted Tank for DC is a particular favorite. DC liked to hedge its bets with war comics by crossbreeding the genre with other elements, so we got the supernatural Haunted Tank in G.I. COMBAT, G.I. Robot and The Creature Commandos in WEIRD WAR STORIES, the ERB-inspired adventure/fantasy The War That Time Forgot in STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES, and the superhero/superspy-like Unknown Soldier. But in reality, I think the 1950s Captain Steve Savage took his name from the same actual historical person on whom DC based its short-lived WWI air-war series, Lt. Steve Savage, Balloon Buster - a Texan flyer for the U.S. Army Air Corps in WWI France, who wore a sheepskin-lined denim jacket and cowboy hat as he shot down German blimps. Those are some of my favorite war series, because they had unusual and distinctive elements not present in other war titles. Same goes for the 1980s (Hasbro) version of G.I. JOE, which Marvel created simply by bashing its two versions of Nick Fury together -- G.I. Joe is pretty much a straight-up cross between the Howling Commandos and S.H.I.E.L.D., with COBRA replacing HYDRA or the Nazis.

Also of course, the A through E's of air war comics... Airboy, Blackhawk, Captain Midnight, and Enemy Ace. The first three of those are definitely impinging on superhero territory (Captain Midnight the most), as is Charlton's Blackhawks-like team, the Fightin' Five (though not really an 'air war' book per se). EC's war titles I'm familiar with, as well as Jim Warren's BLAZING COMBAT, but I'm looking for series characters, not one-off stories in an anthology book. It's certainly possible to have an anthology with ongoing series characters, and AIR FIGHTERS was exactly that. Sorry if I didn't make it more explicit, but the guys with costumes (or 'uniquely-designed uniforms') and code-names stick out immediately and are therefore sort of obvious. Guys with regular names wearing regular uniforms don't (like Captain Steve Savage... which is a 'regular' name -- for comic books), which is where I need some help -- a character born with a last name like Savage, Rock, or Fury seems destined on a pathway of self-fulfilling prophecy. On top of that, most PD war books don't start with the character's name in the title logo, either, which makes it even harder. The generic war-genre buzzwords used in the titles don't usually give a clue about anything inside, except maybe the branch of service.

You mentioned the Simon & Kirby war titles for Harvey? Took a brief look over the Harvey titles and all that I see is FIGHTING FRONTS, TRUE WAR EXPERIENCES, WAR BATTLES, and WARFRONT. None of those rings a bell, and the only S&K war title that I *do* recall seeing the cover to, FOXHOLE, doesn't seem to be on this site, either. Maybe you were thinking of Crestwood/Prize, not Harvey, but in either case, I don't think the S&K war titles are here. Too bad. STUNTMAN is here -- but strangely, not BOY EXPLORERS or BOYS' RANCH.

You mention Charlton -- certainly by volume one of the greatest producers of what are now PD war stories, but apart from "The Lonely War of Willy Schultz" (yet another series drawn by Sam Glanzman, only 2 episodes of which are available here), what I'm looking for is specific series characters (Charlton didn't seem to want to name a war title after the character) by name, and in what titles they appeared. I'm specifically asking for recommendations out of the PD titles available on THIS site, as I'm pretty familiar with the more famous war series which came from the major publishers. Or minor, if you wanted to list all of the companies Garth Ennis has written war stories for -- as he continues to keep the genre alive single-handedly today.

The other sub-genre of war titles which I've read only here and can recommend is the "Atomic War" titles. Ace Magazines' WORLD WAR III #1-2 and ATOMIC WAR! #1-4 (which are the best of the bunch), St. John's ATOM-AGE COMBAT (v1) #1-5 (which unfortunately only featured one 'atomic war' story per issue), followed by the second (and better) volume of same from St. John (#1) and Fago Magazines (#s 2 & 3) -- which was ALL atomic war stories, and the American Comics Group title COMMANDER BATTLE AND THE ATOMIC SUB #1-7 (technically more of a sci-fi/adventure series than war per se, although it shares the same appropriate jingoist sensibilities endemic to its time). Youthful Magazines' ATTACK! was converted from a standard war title to ATOMIC ATTACK! (#s 5 through 8 ), by the inclusion of one new 8-page 'atomic war' story leading off each of the four issues, but it's the weakest of the bunch. Those, and a few related one-shots like Avon's ATOMIC SPY CASES No. 1, comprise the whole sub-genre. Add in a few educational titles like Gilberton's PICTURE PARADE No. 1 ("Andy's Atomic Adventures"), General Electric's INSIDE THE ATOM, and some PSAs like OPERATION SURVIVAL!, or alarmist anti-Communism warnings like IS THIS TOMORROW to round out the bigger picture.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:17:32 AM by positronic1 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 02:06:08 AM »

Well,  my bad. Thanks for making me go and check this. According to The Kirby Museum's checklist,
https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/simonandkirby/archives/592
Outside the Superhero books, Kirby's War comics are very few. He actually did more Romance Comics. Go figure.
Several Stories in AIRBOY, a couple for Atlas's Battleground, and Mainline's Foxhole (which is the one I was thinking of) This title was taken up by Charlton and he is credited on it for Charlton too. Harvey? Well he is credited with two covers for WARFRONT. #28 and #29, But according to CB+'s notes on #34 that Cover was also penciled by Kirby (you really only need to look at it) and this is identified by Greg Theakson.   So CB+ is one up on the KIrby Museum!   
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »

Well,  my bad. Thanks for making me go and check this. According to The Kirby Museum's checklist,
https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/simonandkirby/archives/592
Outside the Superhero books, Kirby's War comics are very few. He actually did more Romance Comics. Go figure.
Several Stories in AIRBOY, a couple for Atlas's Battleground, and Mainline's Foxhole (which is the one I was thinking of) This title was taken up by Charlton and he is credited on it for Charlton too. Harvey? Well he is credited with two covers for WARFRONT. #28 and #29, But according to CB+'s notes on #34 that Cover was also penciled by Kirby (you really only need to look at it) and this is identified by Greg Theakson.   So CB+ is one up on the KIrby Museum!   

I went and looked up Mainline's FOXHOLE on GCDb. Wait a minute... what's THIS? Issues #1, 2, and 3 of the original series were reprinted (i.e. using the original printing plates which he bought, but no legal rights whatsoever) by Israel Waldman in his line of Super Comics!?! HE renumbered the issues as #11, 12, and 18 (just to keep people guessing) and had Ross Andru & Mike Esposito (as with all the IW/Super titles) draw new covers for them. I KNEW I'd seen the title Foxhole under the IW/Super section when browsing that, but hadn't thought anything of it... it's common enough military jargon to be used by any publisher of war comics. All of a sudden I got excited now, thinking I might get to read those S&K FOXHOLE issues after all! BUT NO -- disappointment was my lot, as the only IW/Super Foxholes uploaded here were issues 15, 16, and 17. That can't be just random, so the S&Ks are probably not public domain, and may have been reclaimed by the Simon estate.

Actually, now that I've calmed down, and looked carefully through the credits for all 4 issues of Mainline's FOXHOLE, there's only ONE 6-page story ("Booby Trap") in issue #2 drawn by Jack -- plus maybe (?) a 2-page filler ("Hot Box") in that same issue. Which is not to say the rest of the material isn't worth reading -- it's just not drawn by Jack Kirby. "Booby Trap" was reprinted in Titan Books' THE BEST OF SIMON & KIRBY (2009), which I have. Nice covers on the original issues, but Kirby's involvement beyond the covers wasn't much more than he contributed to those few issues of WARFRONT. Well, I have reprint collections of all of Kirby's Sgt. Fury stories for Marvel and The Losers for DC, so I guess I'll have to be satisfied with those. It's too bad... I would have liked to imagine Kirby drawing on his own experiences for some war stories while those memories were still fresh in his mind, but maybe it was just too painful to dwell on and he had to put some distance between himself and the war as a way of dealing with the PTSD; concentrate on looking forward, rather than back.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:10:03 AM by positronic1 »
ip icon Logged

Devil Scans

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 07:56:55 AM »

it's not PD but I can highly recommend Marvel's Semper Fi series, 9 issues from the late 80s, John Severin on much of the art

https://www.comics.org/series/3664/
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 08:14:40 AM »

it's not PD but I can highly recommend Marvel's Semper Fi series, 9 issues from the late 80s, John Severin on much of the art

https://www.comics.org/series/3664/

Thanks, I have those as well. Also The Nam, which is great. I'm pretty well covered on the war genre for Marvel and DC, at least from the 1970s onward... and most of the 60s material as well. Also most war stories written by always-dependable Garth Ennis. It's all those now-defunct companies like Charlton that remain vaguely mysterious when it comes to the content of their war titles.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Devil Scans

message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 08:22:45 AM »

Charlton books are hit and miss.

Glanzman did bunch of nice art scattered throughout their war books, some into the 70's

but a lot of it is junk art.

I'd say just dive in:

https://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=military

Dell's combat is nice I also like Navy Patrol
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 02:06:42 AM »

I enjoy Jungle War Stories https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2495
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 10:11:03 AM »

For the most part, war comics leave me cold, but I should point out Charley's War- Pat Mills and Joe Colquhoun, which receives glowing reviews. Not having tried it, I can't comment.  Have a look.
http://www.charleyswar.net
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »

Oh yeah, Charley's War... Garth Ennis curated a collection of those. So I'm familiar. Haven't read all of it, just the early ones.

So I was browsing some titles, and there's an awful lot of WWII flying Captains. Captain Aero, Captain Battle Jr., Captain Flight, Captain Wings and Captain Jet in addition to Captain Midnight. And Flyboy and Sky Blazers in addition to Airboy, Skyman and Blackhawk. And there's CONTACT COMICS that seems like a pointedly direct competitor to AIR FIGHTERS (Air Fighters had The Black Angel, while Contact Comics had Black Venus, and their costumes were nearly identical; AF had Sky Wolf, and CC had The Golden Eagle). That's a good place to start looking anyway, as it cuts the wider field down somewhat.

Captain Battle Jr. rang a bell... and when I looked at the publisher, it's Lev Gleason of Crime Does Not Pay, Daredevil Comics, and Silver Streak Comics. The original Captain Battle (Sr.) was a superhero with an eye-patch and patriotic star-spangled costume who fought crime wearing a rocket-pack with his son Captain Battle Jr. In Captain Battle Jr.'s own comic book series of 2 issues, he's grown up enough to enlist in the US Army Air Corps on his own (without a costume or rocket-pack) and Captain Battle Sr. does not appear -- it's just an actual regular war comic book (WWII style, since it was still in progress when the comic was published)... interesting.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:37:54 PM by positronic1 »
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 08:13:09 PM »

Dell's combat is nice I also like Navy Patrol

Okay, I've just skimmed a few of those Dell COMBATs, because I happened to remember reading somewhere that Sam Glanzman drew a lot of stories for that series -- and if I'm not mistaken, this looks to be a "true war stories" series. Looks like you're right on the money with that one, Devil Scans, so thanks! I'll check out Navy Patrol later.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:36:21 PM by positronic1 »
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 08:17:31 PM »

I enjoy Jungle War Stories https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2495

I've glanced at the covers, and I must admit they seem to be among the most interesting-looking of the war books I've seen here, and one that deals extensively with Vietnam. I will check these out more thoroughly when I get the time (I got swept up in one-shot & short-run sci-fi titles, and have been slowly working my way through those, as well). Thanks narfstar.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 08:38:39 PM by positronic1 »
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 11:03:56 PM »

Dell should most definitely be included! The "Combat" titles are well-written and reasonably accurate, all with excellent Glanzman art. As a teen, I read many of these accounts in a Dell paperback and was quite surprised to find these comic book adaptations! Also, look for the companion comics- "Air War Stories" and "World War Stories". Small runs of each, again with Glanzman art. We have the "Combat" onsite, but not the other two titles. Not sure if they're PD or not, but they were published about the same time so they may very well be. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 03:56:19 AM »

Battle Cry (Stanley Morse) and G.I. Joe (Ziff-Davis). Those two stood out to me as not only action-driven, but also having stories that are particularly human at times.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:02:36 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.