in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

"Out of Print" Webcomic

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: "Out of Print" Webcomic  (Read 9379 times)

MadMikeyD

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: MadMikeyD
message icon
"Out of Print" Webcomic
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »

I stumbles upon this funny little webcomic yesterday.  "Out Of Print."  It's about a support group for public domain super heroes.  It's kind of like "Public Domain Meets Mini-Marvels."  I thought some of you here might enjoy it.

http://oopcomics.com/
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: "Out of Print" Webcomic
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 06:09:37 PM »

Cool, thanks MMD!
This fits in PERFECTLY with the GAC theme and the couple I've read were pretty cute.
:)
ip icon Logged

melike

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: melike
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 02:22:05 AM »

Whoop! Thats mine. Updates 6 days a week - colour. Hope you guys like it.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 04:19:42 AM »

So far they've been great Michael!
I love how you convey Stardust's personality with creative type use.

I'll be following it from now on.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 03:58:37 PM »

I have to agree on the Stardust moment.  While I don't believe that it's impossible for another writer to ever get the right feel to the character, it's also pretty obvious that most of the writers who've tried...haven't tried very hard or would rather just pretend he's the Spectre or something.

Reminds me of Plastic Man, where writers just want him to be a goofball insead of seeing what made the character tick in his early adventures.
ip icon Logged

crimsoncrusader

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 08:54:07 PM »

The comic was very entertaining. I love the unique takes on the characters. I look forward to future updates.
ip icon Logged

melike

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 01:01:07 AM »

The thing is, im afraid i dont really know these characters too well. I'm trying to learn more, which is why sites like this are such a valuable resource for me..but I'm definitely exaggerating and putting my own spin on them.

I dont want people to expect me to use them in the same way they were used originally. I have very specific ideas in my head what i want each character to be and while i havent established them all yet (Stardust was one of the first characters i decided to use) i'll get there at some point. I'm definitely not conveying Stardust as the spectre - i'm going to try to get across the craziness of those comics with that character..

That said, thanks for reading, i do intend to be going 7 days a week soon - i have a sunday strip up today which is about the 5 stages of gried for public domain characters which i think turned out rather well..
ip icon Logged

MadMikeyD

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: MadMikeyD
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 03:47:41 AM »

I think that, knowing it's a humor strip, no one is looking for a 100% faithful interpretation of these characters.  The style and humor of your strip begs for the exaggeration of the silliness of the characters.  And the fact that your brief Stardust appearance is receiving such praise should show you that have a decent understanding of the characters so far.  Stardust adaptations are usually heavily panned.  Keep up the good work.  I can't wait to see what's in store.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 04:07:25 PM »

Hi Mike,
TONS of material for you here Michael!
If you are after a certain personality type you can always ask about it here.

Strange alien elemental - Sub-Zero (Blue Bolt Comics-Novelty)
Strange swimmer (Not name Sub Mariner!) - The Shark (Amazing Man-Centaur)
Talks to bees in a wild costume? - Yellowjacket (Charlton)
Android? - The Iron Skull (Amazing Man-Centaur)
Chatty Centaur? - Speed Centaur (Amazing Mystery Funnies-Centaur)
Green skinened One-Eyed cloak and dagger villain? - The Boogey Man (Red Band Comics-Croydon)
Height challenged mystery man? - The Black Dwarf (Red Seal-Chesler)
Cross dressing 'Old Lady' hero - Madam Fatal (Crack Comics-Quality)
Medieval Armour wearing aviator? - Iron Ace (Airboy-Hillman)

Just curious - Is Cat-Man's 'Kitten' going to show up one day?  Her sudden transformation from pre-teen to hot momma sure would be ripe for parody!

Good luck with the strip, I'm looking forward to more!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »

Yoc for cross dressing to old lady you can not forget the original Centaur Catman in Amazing Man
ip icon Logged

jfglade

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jfglade
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 07:51:20 PM »

I overlooked this thread when I posted a plug and a link for Mike's "Out of Print" website in another thread, but I don't feel bad about it. The strip is very good and is especially appropriate for the likes of golden age fans, so the more publicity the better.
ip icon Logged

melike

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 12:06:15 AM »

Yoc - there certainly is tons of material and characters to explore i know! :) I'm trying to keep it fairly focused to the main few core guys for now as i wantthis to last a loooong time..but yes, its very exciting! I will ask if i need people for sure!

jfglade - thanks for the extra plug :) I aint complaining one bit :)

Thanks everyone for being so supportive - i really appreciate it!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Rajah

message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 02:34:08 AM »

This is hilarious. The support group idea is a great concept. It's fun to see the Golden Agers reinterpreted in a more irreverent way than most of their revivals at other companies.

So has Cat-Man discovered his revival as Man-Cat in Project: Superpowers yet?
ip icon Logged

melike

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 12:37:34 AM »

Not yet - nor has he discovered DC's Cat-man :) Fun times ahead (thats the plan anyway..)

Thanks Rajah!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 03:07:27 AM »

One word - KITTEN!

GL with the strip Michael, I'm loving it so far.
ip icon Logged

melike

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 04:18:19 AM »

I'll get to kitten i'll get to her. BUt not in the way you probably want... :P I'm working about a month ahead anyways ..
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 05:45:14 AM »

Good to hear Michael.
I'm enjoying the ride.  I'm sure you'll have something fun to read when you get to her.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »

Just curious - Is Cat-Man's 'Kitten' going to show up one day?  Her sudden transformation from pre-teen to hot momma sure would be ripe for parody!

It seems it, but puberty does hit hard in some people.  I can think of a couple of female friends, growing up, who...maybe it took two or three months, and most of the boys were too young to notice at the time, but Kitten isn't all that unrealistic.

And today, that sort of thing can happen over a weekend, but usually involves parental waivers and some bed rest.

Which is all to say that going there should go with a warning to tread carefully, since girls who might identify with it have more than enough body image issues already, regardless of how it happens...
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »

And then there's Cat-Man's other origin where his mom was a big cat trainer and he followed in her footsteps, learning all the ways of the big cats and that he raised Kitten since she was an orphaned baby found in a cat pen.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 08:04:02 PM »

You mean there were character inconsistencies in the golden age? Surely not. You have forever tarnished my once idealistic opinion of that bygone time.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »

I taught 7th grade one year. Pictures were taken at the beginning of the year. When I got the yearbook at the end of the year I was astounded at how much many/most of the kids had changed.
It seems it, but puberty does hit hard in some people.  I can think of a couple of female friends, growing up, who...maybe it took two or three months, and most of the boys were too young to notice at the time, I was never that young ::)
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 09:22:42 PM »

You mean there were character inconsistencies in the golden age? Surely not. You have forever tarnished my once idealistic opinion of that bygone time.

I was going to curse Ed and his descendants because it was taking me a lot of effort to focus on my work rather than start madly downloading books in hopes of finding that version of the story...

I was never that young ::)

I like to pretend I was, but then, clearly, I did notice...a lot...
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 09:47:06 PM »

Height challenged mystery man? - The Black Dwarf (Red Seal-Chesler)

-Yoc

When checking the downloads site for Chesler, I notice the mention of an artist named "Fran Smith" in the description of the company. WHO IS HE? I have never heard of him (her?) and a search on Google turns up some claim that Fran Smith is the artist on The Black Dwarf!??! Every episode of TBD I've ever seen was drawn by Paul Gattuso. Can someone either change the Chesler company summary or else clue me in on who Fran Smith was? Thanks.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 10:41:22 PM »

Hi Jim,
I'd LOVE to correct that problem but as all us mods and admins are locked out of the control area of the site I can't do it.  (It's talked about in the link at the top of the page)  I'll file this under 'to do' when Serj get's things fixed.

Please remind me if it looks like I've forgotten though.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Marconero

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Marconero
message icon
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 05:40:28 PM »

Out of Print is great! Very funny stuff, I'm catching up on it now starting with #1.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.