in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 191 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Buck Ryan # 41

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Buck Ryan # 41  (Read 2266 times)

wiseman

message icon
Buck Ryan # 41
« on: May 03, 2019, 07:12:04 PM »

A very good tale, well written with witty dialogues. Not a noir, but something in the spirit
of "Murder she wrote". Featuring a gang of unfortunate bandits, a countryside full of
bizarre characters and the lookalike of Agatha Christie. What else?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d713jp0761xhdks/AACP-5oZKzozQf-CSxzHVp68a?dl=0
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Buck Ryan # 41
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 12:04:37 AM »

Many thanks, wiseman, for this and many past efforts! A ripping yarn, indeed! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

wiseman

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »

You're welcome, Bowers.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »

Got it.  I'll make a start as soon as I can and try to get it done before we go off for a few days next week.  Big birthday approaching at a rate of knots.  Don't whether to be happy or depressed.
ip icon Logged

wiseman

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 07:48:20 PM »

Happy, certainly happy. The alternative is to get old or you  know well what. Take your time and enjoy.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 11:30:57 PM »

Happy birthday wishes, Paw! I agree with wiseman. After all, we didn't become the remarkably fine geezers we are today by being depressed! Birthday Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 04:03:54 PM »

Thanks, grazie, for the good advice.  I gave the same advice to my pal recently but I just couldn't seem to take it on board myself.  Typical.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 01:54:44 AM »

I also have a big birthday milestone coming up, so I can relate. Many more happies Paw. I figure that its all gravy from here on in. So we should relax and enjoy it as much as possible.
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

wiseman

message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »

Since 22/2/2019 I am seventy years old. And I feel more childlike than ever. Better, I want to be like this. Senex puer, as the ancients said. Yes, I have my problems and believe that humanity is about to fall into an abyss, but today laughing is the better way to defeat the stupidity of Man and the malevolence of the gods.
Happy birthday, Paw
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 04:58:35 PM »

Grazie mille, G.  Mi sento pi
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 05:55:55 PM »

Since 22/2/2019 I am seventy years old. And I feel more childlike than ever. Better, I want to be like this. Senex puer, as the ancients said. Yes, I have my problems and believe that humanity is about to fall into an abyss, but today laughing is the better way to defeat the stupidity of Man and the malevolence of the gods.

I can identify (sixty-three, not quite there yet). Something Carl Sagan said about an endless sea of black infinity stretching out forever in all directions both in space and in time... Anyway, thankfully we have comic books and science fiction & fantasy to distract us from the unpleasant foreboding doom of it all and help us shrug it off for a while.
ip icon Logged

wiseman

message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 09:46:08 PM »

I can identify (sixty-three, not quite there yet). Something Carl Sagan said about an endless sea of black infinity stretching out forever in all directions both in space and in time... Anyway, thankfully we have comic books and science fiction & fantasy to distract us from the unpleasant foreboding doom of it all and help us shrug it off for a while.

Well, Positronic 1, I'm more on the side of A. C. Clarke and Kubrick, you know "2001" and "Childhood's end" (which is the book of my life). Perhaps infinity isn't neither so black nor so endless, after all.
ip icon Logged

wiseman

message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 09:55:59 PM »

ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 03:12:28 AM »

Can hardly wait for that one, wiseman! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

wiseman

message icon
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 08:03:35 AM »

Er- I meant number 43, actually (don't worry: also 42 is on its way). I've at least 20 more story to edit. A work for all this year and a bit of the next. The problem are the stories before 1943. I have the Italian edition, which is not of great quality, but something could be done. But it is impossible without the English originals. So what?
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 07:17:13 PM »

Well, Positronic 1, I'm more on the side of A. C. Clarke and Kubrick, you know "2001" and "Childhood's end" (which is the book of my life). Perhaps infinity isn't neither so black nor so endless, after all.

Thought I'd covered that with my remark about "thankfully we have ... science fiction ... to distract us ... and help us shrug it off for a while". Clarke/Kubrick/2001 etc. = science fiction, no? It's all matters of scale when you come right down to it. You can choose to ignore the overwhelming mathematics of probability and the immensities of distance and time, and just focus on the local, ephemeral phenomena and ignore the rest of the unpleasantness like entropy. What do we care anyway, we'll be dead in another 20 or 30-odd planetary orbits, so it won't matter to us. Time marches on. Never lose that "sense of wonder" though -- it's all we've got, really. Meaning is where you find it, and all that.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.