in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Sorta new member

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Sorta new member  (Read 2428 times)

blueridgerider

message icon
Sorta new member
« on: September 30, 2009, 01:02:47 PM »

New to the forums part anyway...

I just wanted to thank everyone that participates as scanners/uploaders and of course the founders and maintainers of the site.

I have had a wonderful time the last couple of months downloading and reading the comics.  I was not really a comic reader as a child (I'd get a Richie Rich once in awhile at the Grocery Store) and it has been fascinating to digest this material as a first timer.

Since I am a collector of science fiction books from this period, the first thing I hit were the sci-fi titles.  I have moved on to some of the other genres and am finding them just as entertaining.  There is an optimisim displayed in this golden age that is not really found in later literature.  Even the more dystopian visions are uprooted by some hero.  There is an idea that mankind can conquer all that is refreshing in this day and age.

So again, thanks everyone.  I am enjoying the books.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Sorta new member
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:57:17 PM »

Glad you have chimed into the forums. We welcome your participation. Glad you decided to experience the variety offered. It was a more positive time from the greatest generation. Even during the war they remained optimistic about the future.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:23:38 PM »

Welcome BRR and well said post too.
Please feel free to chime in on the message board about anything.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

jfglade

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jfglade
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »

Glad you are enjoying yourself, Blueridgerider. It's interesting that you weren't "really" a comic book reader as a child, since I would assume that most of us who use the forum and the downloads were. Which of the sci-fi titles did you enjoy the most? I haven't really read that many books in the genre but I will probably get around to it sooner or later, and having something recommended would likely help.

Take care,
Jon
ip icon Logged

blueridgerider

message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 06:50:29 PM »

Glad you are enjoying yourself, Blueridgerider. It's interesting that you weren't "really" a comic book reader as a child, since I would assume that most of us who use the forum and the downloads were. Which of the sci-fi titles did you enjoy the most? I haven't really read that many books in the genre but I will probably get around to it sooner or later, and having something recommended would likely help.

Take care,
Jon

Sorry I have not answered sooner, I had to look through the comics I downloaded to refresh which titles I enjoyed.  By far my favorite of the sci-fi titles was Planet Comics they had the feel of an old serial like Flash Gordon.  There were several misc titles that had just a few books available that I enjoyed as well.  Forbidden Worlds was good, though it was predominately  supernatural.

To a lessor degree I enjoyed the World War III, and Atomic War type comics.  They were more realistic sci-fi and in books that is not my favorite genre.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 07:00:48 PM »

Some Avon sci-fi books had amazing artwork BRR.
Give them a try.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 03:31:48 AM »

I've just uploaded a new Sci-Fi book from the 1950's, so be on the outlook for it. And enjoy your stay here with us.

Geo
ip icon Logged

shipshape

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 04:32:28 AM »

Welcome to the forums BRR. I like scifi books a lot as well. I really didn't read comic books until I was a senior in high school. The only reason I began reading comic books was because I had to have heart surgery. I needed something to keep me still. Before that I had a few comic books that I really didn't get into all that much. Although I was a marvel and dc card collector before the surgery. A friend of mine got me into collecting the cards.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:01:56 AM »

I assume then that your name came about because you came through the surgery shipshape? That would be something hopefully true. There are many who download with not even a thank you let alone a scan. Do not feel bad that you have nothing to scan. We are always happy to have new people join in the forums. The downloads would tend to get dull with this great group to brighten up the site with friendly banter. Posters are valuable contributors too. BTW if you start searching ebay for coverless or low grade comics you can pick up lots of GA stuff for a buck or so. Very often much less than a new book and they often have more pages of fun. Then you can scan and share. I have picked up a lot of books for little money that I have no real interest in just to scan and share. I like to see the numbers go up on my scans and hope they are being enjoyed.
ip icon Logged

shipshape

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »

Hi Narfstar. I actually got the name from my favorite cartoon. It is from a second season episode of G.I.Joe. My favorite character from the show named Shipwreck was telling a story to some kids in the episode. He called one of the characters Shipshape. Narfstar I like your Idea about how I got the name. It sounds a lot better. By the way I am doing much better now.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.