in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Finding out the first Terry & the Pirates copyright renewal

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Finding out the first Terry & the Pirates copyright renewal  (Read 1374 times)

evilfabio

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: evilfabio
message icon
Finding out the first Terry & the Pirates copyright renewal
« on: October 19, 2009, 03:25:17 AM »

I was hoping someone, perhaps John, could point me in the right direction.  As I understand it, the first three years of the Terry & the Pirates dailies and Sundays are p.d., but how would I go about finding the date of the first strip that was renewed (the first one off-limits)?  Thanks.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: Finding out the first Terry & the Pirates copyright renewal
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »

Unfortunately, while it's technically "straightforward," it's still going to be painful.

You pretty much need to know how it was published and...honestly, everybody involved with production.

If it was published as part of a supplement, you probably have a leg up.  Supplements, I believe, are considered periodicals and you look for them the same way you look for a comic.  Check the periodical section of the Catalog of Copyright Entries for the right years--happily sorted by title, which you'd hopefully know--or use Ockerbloom's "first renewal" list.

You already know this, but for clarity, you want to check the renewals for the twenty-seventh through twenty-ninth years after publication, or the original copyright, if it's somehow different.

If not, then it was a "contribution to a periodical."  Those carry the same kinds of copyrights as books, so they're in the main renewal section.  There, things aren't as user friendly.  What you're looking at is the renewals of many more things, sorted by copyright holder.

Remember I mentioned having the names of everybody involved?  Any person or company COULD have become owner of the copyright and filed the renewal.  Again, check the publication year plus twenty-seven, twenty-eight, and twenty-nine for each of the candidate owners.

The good news?  When you eventually find something, strips are identified by date, so you'll see the renewal listing for something like "19Oct39" on the list.  The earliest listed is the earliest with a renewal.

(Of course, you can go deeper into this at the Library of Congress, by checking the original copyright registrations to see if they're valid and/or if the entity filing the renewal had standing to do so.  Renewal paperwork was processed by humans, and they occasionally let things through that shouldn't have.  They also occasionally miss listing a renewal that's perfectly valid.)
ip icon Logged

evilfabio

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: evilfabio
message icon
Re: Finding out the first Terry & the Pirates copyright renewal
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 03:35:47 AM »

Many thanks, John.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.