in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Human Target & TV

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Human Target & TV  (Read 3989 times)

Guardian7

message icon
Human Target & TV
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »

I just saw an add the other day about the Human Target getting what I thought was a TV series... I think he would be an excellent chara that could easily make the transfer to the screen.
I would love it if they had other DC human chara appearing... or even... Elongated Man and Sue Dibny!!

Just thought it was something interesting.

G7
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: Human Target & TV
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 08:50:32 PM »

Heh.  It's a weird situation for me.  The coming attractions make it look like one of the best action shows in a long time (and supporting cast member Chi McBride certainly won me over on "Pushing Daisies").  But I really have to wonder about the title, because the character seems entirely unlike the Human Target from the comics.

I'm not griping about this because I'm some sort of Human Target fanatic, but rather I wonder about the business reasons.  I understand, obviously, that hiring an actor to never appear on screen (which is how a "real" Human Target story essentially works) would be stupid.  But likewise, if the character isn't similar, then why the heck would you shell out money for the name?  Especially when the name isn't exactly "Superman;" you have to be pretty old and geeky to have any idea that the name is meaningful, after all.

But to repeat, it looks like it'll be a lot of fun.  While it lasts, I mean.  Adventure show on Fox with an obscure title character who isn't actually similar?  Pff.  They'll be very lucky if they eke out a full season, unfortunately.

(Guest stars, I dunno.  I'd much rather they find the show's "center" before throwing, say, Space Cabbie in our faces.  As discussed with respect to "Smallville," it's always less entertaining than it seems like it should be...)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »

I'm some sort of Human Target fanatic, but rather I wonder about the business reasons.  I understand, obviously, that hiring an actor to never appear on screen (which is how a "real" Human Target story essentially works) would be stupid.  But likewise, if the character isn't similar, then why the heck would you shell out money for the name?  Especially when the name isn't exactly "Superman;" you have to be pretty old and geeky to have any idea that the name is meaningful, after all.

I'd bet that somebody somewhere had a good idea for a series, thought up the name (it's a common enough phrase) and then did their due diligence and discovered the DC character and bought the rights to the name alone. Sometimes we comics geeks are too close to the trees to see the forest...

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »

I'd bet that somebody somewhere had a good idea for a series, thought up the name (it's a common enough phrase) and then did their due diligence and discovered the DC character and bought the rights to the name alone. Sometimes we comics geeks are too close to the trees to see the forest...

Ah, that makes sense.  I'm used to dealing with groups on a much smaller budget, where due diligence means, "aaaaaah!  We have to change the name to something else!"
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »

Ah, that makes sense.  I'm used to dealing with groups on a much smaller budget, where due diligence means, "aaaaaah!  We have to change the name to something else!"

Fox Television has information on the series here:
http://www.fox.com/humantarget/

ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 12:51:31 PM »

Anybody watching? I'm finding it surprisingly entertaining. It is nice that these are basically stand alone episodes, yet they are building on character development and slowly revealing his back story.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:59:15 PM »

I have watched it and it too awhile but I am starting to like it
ip icon Logged

kosmic64

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: kosmic64
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 05:29:37 PM »

I have not read the comics, but I hear it was toned down for primetime TV. From reviews I've heard, the comic was much "darker", even more violent and chock full of sex? Those who did read the comics...true or not?
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »

Might be true of the Vertigo comic, but not really of the original ones.

I enjoy the series. Sure, it's as about as close to the comic as Bones is to Kathy Reichs' novels, or Smallville is to Superboy comics.

As far as them just buying the rights for the name, we've seen names of DC characters end up as titles for unrelated movie characters: Peacemaker, Karate Kid, Starman. Although, I do think in at least one, there was a disclaimer about the name being used with permission. Otherwise, I think they could have just used the name "Target", "Targett" or "Mr. Risk".
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »

The Starman did say the name was used with permission (or something similar).  I *think* that's true of Karate Kid as well, but don't know for sure.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.