in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,177 books
 New: 241 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Lion 0397

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Lion 0397  (Read 265 times)

Andrew999

message icon
« on: November 27, 2019, 02:30:04 PM »

Thanks for steering us towards this. The Lion was always one of my favourites – although I guess I started reading them a little after this issue was published – mid-sixties, I think.

Consequently, I didn’t know Paddy Payne and was pleasantly surprised by this lead story of a traitor in the midst (a brave plot line when the war was only recently ended and for most of the population still held grim memories). Lovely inks in the strip – loads of movement guiding your eyes from frame to frame! Anyone know the artist?

Great detailed art too on Rory MacDuff, though a little more static, but the kind of adventure I love to follow – gold bullion, distant lands, dreaded enemies, unexploded bombs - terrific stuff!

As an interlude, I love the adverts – yes, please, send me an Italian-made rock’n’roll guitar for four guineas cash!

Captain Condor was a new one on me. Of course, it’s a rip off of Dan Dare and Rick Random, but still high quality visuals and plot. Attacked by a hideous form of evil life (looking bizarrely like Donald Trump’s toupee), Captain Condor is forced to abandon ship!

Finally, a character I recognise – the wonderful Robot Archie, the father of steampunk! A fast-moving tale in the mysterious land of Zorba in which Archie undergoes emergency repairs in order to defeat the evil rebels in their quest to unseat the Rajah at the ceremony of one thousand jewels.

Captives in El Dorado – a pirate tale – what a great way to finish – with sea battles, cannibals and a giant anaconda called Sid (actually, I don’t know if he’s called Sid – he just looks like one)! We need more pirate tales in the world.

I enjoyed this immensely – great idea, Crash!

Link to the book: Lion 0397
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 01:48:54 AM »

Do I understand that in later days Robot Archie could talk? I haven't read that many of his adventures yet.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 04:03:58 PM »

Originally, Archie was equipped with a loudspeaker allowing Ted Ritchie or Ken Dale, his operators (Archie was created by Prof. Ritchie, Ted's uncle) to speak through him.  Later Archie has his own voice.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »

Andrew, art on Paddy Payne, a lot of it anyway, was by Joe Colquhoun, Ian Kennedy, Bill Lacey.  A classy line-up.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 06:23:33 AM »

Here is a page of info on Robot Archie.
http://internationalhero.co.uk/a/archie.htm

Archie is currently a featured character in 'The Vigilant' here.
https://treasuryofbritishcomics.com/catalogue//RCS1953D
Doesn't get much page time tho. 
Don't know how successful its been since there have only been two issues, one in 2018 and one in 2019. I bought the second issue from a newsagent only yesterday, so I was aware of it.
Check out the site if you are interested in reprints of British 'Silver age' comics.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »

Thanks for these links - very, very much appreciated!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.