in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,174 books
 New: 241 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Weird Comics 04 (fiche)

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Weird Comics 04 (fiche)  (Read 163 times)

Andrew999

message icon
« on: January 20, 2020, 01:30:02 PM »

Thanks to my lord emperor golddalek for picking this one – I was of course immediately drawn to the distressed blonde in red dress cover – not to mention the redhead in a steel bikini.

Thor has been out of copyright since about 721AD, so no surprise to find a version predating the Marvel version – there were even earlier versions, see the Eddas, Adam of Bremen, Wagner etc. I like this Wright Lincoln version if only because he has a badly-drawn girlfriend called Glenda (aforementioned damsel in distress).

Equally badly drawn is Sorceress Zoom (is it really Joe Simon?) This time, blonde Sally has a green dress to provide some variety. Her boyfriend is turned into a snake – can things ever be the same between them – will they hiss and make up?

Pencil standards are maintained in Blast Bennett where spacer Blast loses his sidekick, Red. Most would leave it at that, but Blast feels the need to find Red thus encountering midgets, giants and cavemen in a tale that would embarrass the pen of a six-year-old.

Much like the editor, the mad Dr Mortal is intent on creating a monster. Bert Whitman’s pencils are a small step up and the story entices with a couple of interesting plot twists.

Voodooman also earns brownie points with a real sense of menace, an interesting plot that involves hypnotic drugs, good facial work and some nice painted panels. The talking tree is a bit of a let-down but we can overlook that because – you guessed it – there’s a distressed blonde in a red dress.

Birdman is a bit high in the sky but the introduction of Nava, the Queen of Jarvaak, at the end of Typhon holds out some promise for the next issue. There’s also an advert for a comicscope – I always wanted one of them.

Link to the book: Weird Comics 04 (fiche)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 11:43:57 PM »

I Think, not going to put money on it tho, that there was more than one Golden Age Thor. Can;t remember where. Interestingly, Although there was [is] more than one Silver Age Hercules, I can't recall a Golden Age one.  If there was, I'm sure one of you will know.     
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 12:42:34 AM »

There was a Golden Age hero named Hercules in Hit Comics #1 (Quality) and apparently one showed up in Marvel's Mystic Comics #3.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.