in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,174 books
 New: 243 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: T. V. Picture Stories - O.S.S. Operation Sweet Talk

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: T. V. Picture Stories - O.S.S. Operation Sweet Talk  (Read 225 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: April 14, 2020, 03:00:05 AM »

After some digging I learned O.S.S. was an early offering of Lew Grade's ITC. From WikiZero:

O.S.S. was a Buckeye Productions and Associated Television co-produced wartime television drama series.

It ran for 26 half-hour monochrome episodes during the 1957–1958 season and was distributed by ITC Entertainment and networked in the United States by ABC.

The series followed the adventures of Frank Hawthorne, an agent with the American Office of Strategic Services, who operated behind Nazi lines in occupied France.
Main cast:

Ron Randell as Captain Frank Hawthorn
Lionel Murton as The Chief
Robert Gallico as O'Brien

Guest stars included Lois Maxwell, Christopher Lee and Doctor Who villain Roger Delgado.

Link to the book: T. V. Picture Stories - O.S.S. Operation Sweet Talk
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 07:30:37 AM »

Thanks, Crash - very interesting
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 04:54:16 PM »

Curiously, there was also a photo novel version of the show, also published by Pearsons.  Pearsons published a small range of photo comics incl. a series titled Continental Film Photo Series.
https://www.comics.org/series/67283/covers/
GCD has TV photo stories:-

https://www.comics.org/series/154120/covers/
Dial 999 was a popular tv show here with Robert Beatty, and there is a dvd with a few episodes floating about on the internet.
The Photo Series books were close to standard comic book size, not pocket library size like Pearsons comic libraries.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 02:41:33 AM »

Somewhat off-topic, but I've always been fascinated by TV and movie adaptations, both drawn and photographed. There were few of the latter in the USA, but US movies showed up as photo-novels in other countries. I have a large-format Italian photo adaptation of My Man and I (1952--Italian title, Il Mio Uomo), in which Shelley Winters was still pretty and Ricardo Montalban had plenty of opportunities to show off his hot body. The printing is surprisingly good. In size it's around 8.5x11.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 02:51:44 AM »

The OSS, the American Office of Strategic Services was the precursor of the CIA. The Actor Sterling Hayden enlisted in the OSS and went underground in Yugoslavia. He never talked about it much.
Here is The Office of Strategic Services (OSS) Society Website. Better reading than many comics.
https://www.osssociety.org/

I didn't know that TV show and ihat comics related to it existed. I'll have to have a closer look.

Can't find this series on YouTube. Anybody know which actors starred,.

However there is  a french James Bond Character called OSS 117. Based on the Novels of Jean Bruce.
Still making films to this day, but here is an earlier version. In French.
OSS 117 IS NOT DEAD Jean Levitte 1956 English Subtitles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFSfjjBZHJY

No doubt there are comics for that character also. 

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.