in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Woman Comic Book Artists

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

topic icon Author Topic: Woman Comic Book Artists  (Read 12996 times)

Electricmastro

message icon
Re: Woman Comic Book Artists
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2020, 10:01:13 PM »

Nice one paw!

S'no Use and the Seven Dopes from Coo Coo Comics #1 (October, 1942) was supposedly drawn by Pauline Loth, but with no other appropriate comparison to compare it too, I?m honestly not sure.

that's interesting.  I've never seen her name, or any other woman being listed as a penciler for the Sangor Studio.  I did see a couple of female inkers.  Maybe she only inked that story?

Female artists at Sangor Studio are said to include Helen Houghton, Inez Karma, and someone named either Nelle Farnham or Nellie Farnham, suggested to be the Farnham in Barnyard Comics #8 (October, 1946):

There were also some names using initials, which may or may not belong to women:

T. A. Murphy

E. D. Pat

E. Smith

W. D. Stiles

I'm curious to know if they were listed as pencilers AND inkers, or, pencilers OR inkers, individually, or just as "artists".  I think we can assume that Farnham was both a penciler and inker, because only the pencilers sign their work, and credit the writers.

Farnham was listed for both pencils and inks on the Peter Pigg features.

Helen Houghton:

Inez Karma (only listed for writing here, though I?ve seen it suggested elsewhere she also did some penciling):

Pauline Loth:

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:03:30 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2020, 12:01:14 AM »

So, Farnham, Houghton, and Loth ALL did some pencil work, as well as inking.  And Inez Karma wrote stories.  So Sangor had 3 female artists.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2020, 01:05:47 AM »

So, Farnham, Houghton, and Loth ALL did some pencil work, as well as inking.  And Inez Karma wrote stories.  So Sangor had 3 female artists.

It also recently came to my attention that Loth was named in some issues of Krazy Komics, meaning there might potentially be some comic art of hers that can be confidently compared to after all.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2020, 01:43:19 AM »

It also recently came to my attention that Loth was named in some issues of Krazy Komics, meaning there might potentially be some comic art of hers that can be confidently compared to after all.

Can you tell us in which stories in which Krazy issues she was credited?
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2020, 02:20:04 AM »

Krazy Komics #11-13, on credit lists in the inside front covers.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2020, 06:34:24 AM »

Thanks!  I'll start comparing the styles.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2020, 07:14:39 AM »

Thanks!  I'll start comparing the styles.

Thanks to you too. Superbaby?s only other artist was said to be Al Jaffee, and it was only after he got drafted that it got passed on to Loth, though of course, other artists might have been assigned the feature as well.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2020, 04:28:37 AM »

But Pauline Loth was ONLY listed for pen and ink drawing for ALL her studio work listed above.  So, she was an inker, as I had stated previously.  As I had always heard and read, Sangor Studio's pencilers were all men.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2020, 09:01:17 PM »

But Pauline Loth was ONLY listed for pen and ink drawing for ALL her studio work listed above.  So, she was an inker, as I had stated previously.  As I had always heard and read, Sangor Studio's pencilers were all men.

Alright, whatever conclusion floats your boat Robb. :)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2020, 12:40:36 AM »

We could compare her inking style on "Super-Baby" in Krazy # 11-13 to that in issues for other publishers that are attributed "possibly" to her, IF you know the issue numbers and individual stories to check.  Do you have any other particular stories attributed to her (or attributed "possibly" to her)?
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2020, 03:24:50 AM »

We could compare her inking style on "Super-Baby" in Krazy # 11-13 to that in issues for other publishers that are attributed "possibly" to her, IF you know the issue numbers and individual stories to check.  Do you have any other particular stories attributed to her (or attributed "possibly" to her)?

These right here:

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2020, 06:55:24 AM »

Here are examples of the few stories inked by Pauline Loth, that I could find:

It's difficult to find much of a similar style in her inking on the "Snow White and The 7 Dopes" page and the "Super-Baby", as the underlying pencil styles (drawn by other people, and meticulously followed by Loth) are so different.  The two inked pages share one major trait - too thick in spots (Evil Queen's Blouse) and (characters' faces and around the curves on body pats.  I know that making the curves wider, and tapering the inked lines to narrow on the straighter parts is correct technique.  But Pauline was too thick on her thicker areas.  Unfortunately, I could only find one example of her human-figure comic pages (Captain Devildog). 

That inkwork is so very different from her inking of funny animals, due to the different-styled penciling she had to follow, that it is impossible to tell if the inker was the same person.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:09:43 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2020, 11:40:23 PM »

More Yank and Doodle art by Ann Brewster (Prize Comics #67-68, 1947-1948):

ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »

Quick word about Aimee de Jongh, a Dutch-Indonesian graphic novelist who produces some fascinating stuff - again showing that sequential art is a medium that can present difficult topics in a unique, surprising and multi-layered way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aim?e_de_Jongh

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2021/01/10/life-as-illustrated-by-aime-de-jongh.html

ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2021, 11:09:07 AM »

Phyllis Antoshak (1931 - 2020)

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/northjersey/name/phyllis-antoshak-obituary?pid=196288836

Phyllis Antoshak, 89, beloved wife, sister, mother and grandmother, passed away on April 23, 2020 of natural causes.

Phyllis was born in Jersey City, NJ to Gustave and Mildred Callori on March 14, 1931. She attended Snyder High School in Jersey City and was a graduate of the Newark School of Fine and Industrial Arts.

Phyllis married Perry Antoshak on October 29, 1955 in Jersey City. She worked as a graphic designer for various companies including Harvey Comics, where she met Perry. [He edited horror and war comics in the early 1950s.] She was a long time resident of Closter, NJ. In later years, she retired at a lake home with Perry in Forestburgh, NY.

Due to a severe brain aneurysm, she endured significant physical paralysis for more than 50 years, yet successfully raised five children. Known throughout Closter for various works of art and calligraphy at both Closter's Hillside Elementary School and Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Phyllis was also active in many local groups including the Tenafly Junior Woman's Club, Closter Public Library, and Saint Mary's Roman Catholic Church, where she also served as a catechist. She was also a Founding Member of the National Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington, D.C.

Phyllis is preceded in death by her husband of 57 years, Perry Antoshak (1929-2012), and her sister, Grace Kremer (1924-2012). [Note: Grace was the wife Warren Kremer (1921-2003).]

Phyllis is survived by her five children, Robert and Rosemary of Nashville, TN; James and Amy of San Diego, CA; Thomas and Christina of Closter, NJ; Steven and Helen of Park Ridge, NJ; and Ann and Gerard Gallagher of Montclair, NJ; and nine grandchildren ? John and wife Lisa, Alexander, Santina, Samantha, Stefani, Samuel, Jaime, Daniel and Grace.

Family and friends may gather on August 1st, 9:30am at St. Mary's Church. 20 Legion Place in Coster for words of remembrance and reflection. Funeral Mass to begin at 10am. Burial to follow at Rockland Cemetery in Sparkill. NY.

Published by The Record/Herald News from Jun. 1 to Jul. 29, 2020.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would guess Phyllis Callori worked as a letterer (as did her sister Grace).
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2023, 09:47:16 AM »

Here are some comic book pages and a front cover drawn by famous prize-winning political cartoonist, Etta
Parks (Hulme), who drew for J. Charles Laue's Dearfield Comics (Red Rabbit, Little Buck, Li'l Tinker), between late 1949 and 1951:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:57:37 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.