in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Critically important Phantom Lady files

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Critically important Phantom Lady files  (Read 1607 times)

radams36

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: radams36
message icon
Critically important Phantom Lady files
« on: March 06, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »

Clearly, the greatest comic EVER. The cover to #17, clearly the GREATEST COMIC BOOK COVER OF ALL TIME! But, I can't open 2 of these from the site successfully.

I can't get the archives to open for Phantom Lady #'s 15 and 21 . CBR reports that both are not valid archives. I've tried re dl'ing with no change.

Anyone else having better luck?

Thanks!
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bakerman3
message icon
Re: Critically important Phantom Lady files
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:33:03 AM »

There have been problems with many "Freddyfly" scans from 2009 (yes, I know it's not his fault), but those two issues are not his.  However, it may be the same type of problem.  I'll post what I do to make the faulty Freddyfly scans readable by CDisplay, and it may work for those scans.

1. Click Download and click Save on the site.

2. FYI, once downloaded, the file should be "associated" with your unzip program.  In other words, the icon next to it should be that of the Unzip program rather than the generic "file folder with zipper" icon of a zip file that is unassociated with an extraction program. 

3. Using Folder Options in Windows, UNHIDE file name extensions so that they can be renamed.  To be safe, make a copy of the file you just downloaded and rename the extension from "zip" to "cbr" or "cbz" This will cause the file to associate itself with CDisplay and the file icon will change to the word balloon.  However, it still WILL NOT open with CDisplay.

4. Open the cbz file using your WinRAR, 7-Zip or whatever.

5. Opening it with WinRAR, I see one file with no file extension.  This right here is the crux of the problem.  Click the file and click "Extract to" and extract the file to the directory you want.

6. The file will now appear in the directory as a Windows Folder.  Double-clicking to open the folder shows the aforementioned single file with no extension.    You then have to rename the file to add an extension, namely "cbr"
7. Once done, the file will be associated with the CDisplay program and the file icon will change to the word balloon.

8. NOW the file can be double clicked and read with CDisplay.

9. Then, delete the original zip and the cbr/cbz copy you may have made, and you are left with the working cbr version.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »

OK baker that may work but there is a much easier method. You must be able to see file extensions but all you need to do is change .zip to .rar and that takes care of the problem.
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bakerman3
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:33:25 PM »

Yeah, my method is only for those zip files whose INTERIOR file does NOT have a file extension like the Freddyfly stuff that we've discussed.

I couldn't remember what the case was for Phantom Lady, so I just posted the whole explanation just in case.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:40:04 PM »

I think they all have file extensions but most computers come with show extension turned off. You need to see the extensions to see or add or change them
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.