in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Could I get sued? A DC First Wave Question

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Could I get sued? A DC First Wave Question  (Read 4429 times)

JimShelley

• VIP
message icon
Could I get sued? A DC First Wave Question
« on: March 09, 2010, 04:49:18 AM »

Spurred on by the Doc Savage appearance in the First Wave comics, I've been thinking about offering the Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-In-One that featured Doc Savage as a free download from my site.

On the one hand, I've held off because I was afraid of being sued...

...but in thinking about it - who actually could sue me? I mean Viacom can't lay claim to the content because it has The Thing and Spider-man in it. Marvel can't lay claim to the content because it has Doc Savage in it. To send me a cease and desist, wouldn't one or the other have to have sole ownership of the content? I mean doesn't trademark infringement only cover treading on someone's property in such a way that it denies them future revenue from said property?

The worst I think that might happen is that I might get a cease and desist letter (as z-cult got once upon a time...)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Could I get sued? A DC First Wave Question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »

Actually the minimum could be a cease and desist. Both could actually sue you I am pretty sure.
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »

As I understand it Conde Nast does NOT take any prisoners over copyright issues.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »

...but in thinking about it - who actually could sue me? I mean Viacom can't lay claim to the content because it has The Thing and Spider-man in it. Marvel can't lay claim to the content because it has Doc Savage in it. To send me a cease and desist, wouldn't one or the other have to have sole ownership of the content?

Not really, they only need to have a stake in ownership of the material to take action against you, afterwhich they may or may not contact the other owner, who could join-in on whatever legal action is taken.  The only drawbacks in co-owning something is that all owners of the material have to "sign-off" on anything that is done with the material, such as reprints or adapting the work into a book, film or tv show.

I mean doesn't trademark infringement only cover treading on someone's property in such a way that it denies them future revenue from said property?

Trademark Infringement is when you cause confusion in the marketplace, such as trying to sell comic books with the name/image of "Spider-Man" prominently featured on the cover without an agreement from Marvel to do so.  Consumers would assume that the comic was from Marvel or at least authorized by Marvel, and as such, would have a certain level of quality.  You'ld be making money off of the reputation that Marvel's worked so hard to establish.

Hosting Copyrighted comic book files for free on your site has less to do with Trademarks and more to do with Copyrights.  Hosting Golden Age Daredevil Comics on your site is no problem because the work is Public Domain, so Marvel isn't going to bother you since they don't own that material, even though they do own the Trademark on the name.   If you were hosting Silver Age Daredevil stories, then Marvel could take action against you because they do own the stories from those books.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:15:58 PM »

Better safe than sorry - don't even attempt it.
ip icon Logged

JimShelley

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys - sometimes I get carried away!
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bakerman3
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 02:55:55 AM »

Yeah, it's not that either company has to have sole claim on the copyright in order to sue you.  If the copyright on that story is owned jointly, then it would stand to reason that EITHER company could sue you separately from the other.

A deal was probably worked out that both companies jointly own the copyright on those stories, but each company keeps the copyright and trademark on its own characters.

I'm pretty sure even Marvel can't reprint those issues without another agreement being worked out and payments being made to Conde Nast.  If I'm not mistaken, those issues have been left out of any Essential trade paperback collections of those titles.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 02:56:21 AM »

By the way, what is your site?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 03:07:06 AM »

I like that logo on the blog.  Did he draw it himself?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 03:16:24 AM »

I like that logo on the blog.  Did he draw it himself?

Nope, Jim didn't draw it ... I think his creative partner Pierre did.
ip icon Logged

JimShelley

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 08:58:30 PM »

Yeah, I can't draw worth a damn... :D

However, I was able to make my CC Beck looking Avatar in Illustrator, so I gots some skills...
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 09:56:38 PM »

Yeah, I can't draw worth a damn... :D

However, I was able to make my CC Beck looking Avatar in Illustrator, so I gots some skills...

In the flashbackuniverse character profiles, what do the numbers in the colored circles mean? I assume they are an attribute (Power) and a rating, but no explanation is given.
ip icon Logged

JimShelley

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 12:50:02 AM »

I get that question all the time, so I wrote this post about it early on:

http://flashbackuniverse.blogspot.com/2007/12/what-do-colored-spheres-mean.html

I don't want to give away what they mean specifically, as I think a lot of the fun is guessing, but if you want to take a shot, feel free to send me your guesses, and I'll be happy to confirm you suspicions.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 01:51:57 AM »

I really like your site. Very well done!  ;D
ip icon Logged

JimShelley

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »

Thank you!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.