in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Howdy!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 4054 times)

argosail

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: argosail
message icon
Howdy!
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:22:06 AM »

Hi gang!  Just want to express my deepest gratitude to all the people responsible for scanning these comics and for those who maintain the site.  You are doing all of us a fantastic favor!

I am working on a site with information and profiles of puiblic domain and freely licensed characters.  I know there are a few out there, but I'm hopiong to make this one a little more detailed.  More information on that when the site is ready.  All I can tell you is that these comics have been an invaluable resource in that effort.

Of course, I downloaded some before registration was necessary, but now that I've registered, I still don't seem to be able to download anything.  Can anyone help?  According to my "User CP" I have 0 downloads, but 0 bytes remaining on what I can download.  I registered about 24 hours ago, and have recieved confirmation emails.  Can anyone help or explain what I need to do?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:01:00 AM »

Thanks for the comments arg you should now have your monthly 20 downloads set
ip icon Logged

taongyaman

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: taongyaman
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:15:22 AM »

Hi! Ive just registered. I have heard of Golden Age when I bought comic zeal for my itouch and was able to download before. Im interested to donate since I don't have comics to share. I enjoy reading all those comics (especially the horror kind) because I wasn't born yet at that time plus we do not have much access of it when I was growing up. By the way Im from the Philippines. Thanks.

ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »

Welcome to the site! I think every publisher has at least one horror title; Beyond, Hand of Fate, Skeleton Hand, Haunted Thrills, Strange Fantasy, Voodoo. Lots to choose from. I'm sure you'll see a big notice once donations are able to be accepted. Thanks for the interest!
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:39:05 PM »

You can also find horror stories in various other titles.  Yellowjacket Comics, for example, had "Tales of Terror".
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:23:13 PM »

That's what I love about GA comics. More bang for your buck. 64 pages of adventure, humor, etc all for one thin dime!
ip icon Logged

argosail

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:15:32 PM »

Haha...I think my thread got hijacked.  It's all good.  I wanted to point out that while I can log onto this forum, I don't seem to be able to log onto the comic download site itself.  I get a page with a text box with the following message:

mySQL query error: SELECT g.ID_GROUP, g.groupName,
                               u.ID_MEMBER,u.memberName,u.ID_GROUP,u.ID_POST_GROUP,
                               u.passwd, u.emailAddress
                        FROM `smf_members` u
                        LEFT JOIN `smf_membergroups` g ON (g.ID_GROUP=u.ID_GROUP)
                        WHERE u.memberName='argosail'

mySQL error: Table 'talkinj1_download1.smf_members' doesn't exist
Date: Friday 26th 2010f March 2010 11:48:27 AM

Any ideas on what this is or how to fix it?  Is this a site wide problem?
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »

yes - problems with legacy scripting....last resort is a system restore.

Janus
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 03:05:14 AM »

That's one odd looking query regardless of scripting... why are there two member id tables anyway?  One would think there should be one database with a single table with member id, password and other info... I mean conceptually, I don't see the need to "join" with another table just to check a user id and password... unless that one table would get extremely large. 

Btw, what scripting language is it... PHP?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 03:23:13 AM »

all foreign language to me spoken here
ip icon Logged

argosail

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »

I'm not really a computer whiz.  Are you saying I need to do a system restore to obtain compatibility with the site, or do you mean the site needs a system restore?  I'm assuming you mean the latter, but I'm not certain.  Thank you for your help.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 01:48:08 PM »

The system is what needs to be restored, not your computer. Hang on and have patience. The site will back soon.
ip icon Logged

argosail

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »

ok, cool.  thanks bro.
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 08:59:43 PM »

... Btw, what scripting language is it... PHP?

Never mind, viewed the page source... looks like some sort of javascript gobbly-gook. 
ip icon Logged

slawsonc

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: slawsonc
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »

I take it to mean that the new code being worked on will correct the issues. I haven't been able to log on for the last few day s either. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon so we can get down to business. Thanks
ip icon Logged

LobsterJ

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: LobsterJ
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 12:59:49 PM »

Hello

Jason here. I've been telling people I know who've been reading comics all about this site - great stuff! I dig the jungle comics :) I see the site has re-started (?) again, but I am having trouble downloading comics. Like the people earlier in this thread, I am also getting an error message, looks like this:

[--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]
Call stack is 4 deep.
[004] :  : download.php(line 298) -- func->error( Sorry but you do not have permission to view this page. Contact the admin if you think you should have access to this page. )
[003] :  : download.php(line 20) -- downloader->begin( [None] )
[002] :  : download.php(line 9) -- downloader->downloader( [None] )
[001] :  : index.php(line 234) -- require( download.php )
[--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

I read you are working towards re-coding this. Are you having any luck? I'm not being impatient or trying to make trouble, I'm just asking :) I see this thread was started beginning of March this year -- I totally know how projects can spiral out of control once you start poking.

Thanks for a great site - I'm one of many who totally appreciate the archiving being done here.

Jason
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »

Hello

Jason here. I've been telling people I know who've been reading comics all about this site - great stuff! I dig the jungle comics :) I see the site has re-started (?) again, but I am having trouble downloading comics. Like the people earlier in this thread, I am also getting an error message, looks like this:

Call stack is 4 deep.
[004] :  : download.php(line 298) -- func->error( Sorry but you do not have permission to view this page. Contact the admin if you think you should have access to this page. )
[003] :  : download.php(line 20) -- downloader->begin( [None] )
[002] :  : download.php(line 9) -- downloader->downloader( [None] )
[001] :  : index.php(line 234) -- require( download.php )

I read you are working towards re-coding this. Are you having any luck? I'm not being impatient or trying to make trouble, I'm just asking :) I see this thread was started beginning of March this year -- I totally know how projects can spiral out of control once you start poking.

Thanks for a great site - I'm one of many who totally appreciate the archiving being done here.

Jason

This is a time out error Jason. Refresh --- that has been working for me. Download site is functional, not 100% yet, that is being worked on.

B.
ip icon Logged

LobsterJ

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: LobsterJ
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »

Okay - Cool! I thought it was the same message, but I guess I can see it's not at all the same HAHA! Well, off to read some Nyoka, Queen of the Jungle and some Mary Marvel. Thanks, B :)

Jason
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.