in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Worst Golden Age Comic on GAC?

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Worst Golden Age Comic on GAC?  (Read 8283 times)

Poztron

• VIP
message icon
Re: Worst Golden Age Comic on GAC?
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 02:59:35 AM »

I have found that many of the "imperfections" in some of the comics here (like color/printing errors) are what make the books so interesting and so much more intriguing than reading a re-touched and corrected classic title that loses it's comic-book-feel. For example, there are some titles here (many of the "True Crime" books) where the colors are off because it was inked in great detail and then sent to color somewhere else most likely, where they could not or did not take the time to make it precise.

It is certainly true that in some cases, the artists drew and inked in greater detail than the lousy printing could do justice to. I suspect that this accounted for artists like Alex Toth who ended up going for a simplicity of line and stark spotting of blacks. It ended up looking good even with lousy printing. I doubt that where the coloring was done had much to do with the quality. Again, aside from sheer hack coloring (ala Fawcett or Charlton), most off-register coloring was due to the printers.

I will say that I think there were some coloring preferences at some comic publishers (such as ACG) where they didn't do the art much justice. ACG seemed to lean towards yellows and yellow-greens and pinks and other pastels, often undercutting the mood or genre of the stories. This is one of the things that made EC seem so superior. Their coloring was largely excellent.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 05:36:12 AM »

Most of the best and worst colorists will never be known. They probably did an almost assembly line process
ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 11:00:58 PM »

Madame Fatal the costumed transvestite in Crack Comics is one of the campest GA heroes.

The Eys Sees in Keen Detective Funnies is maybe the most ridiculous GA hero.

Bob

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 11:13:54 PM »

You can put most Centaur heroes in the ridiculous category. Maybe that is why they are so beloved by this group. Come on becoming a green mist, having an Iron Skull or being a Centaur, and those where the big guys
ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:30 PM »

You can put most Centaur heroes in the ridiculous category. Maybe that is why they are so beloved by this group. Come on becoming a green mist, having an Iron Skull or being a Centaur, and those where the big guys

Back in the 1980s, Donna Barr did the series Stinz in The Dreamery.
Stinz and family are centaurs. I still have a classy Stinz pin.

Bob
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.