in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Spirou & Fantasio

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Spirou & Fantasio  (Read 448 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Spirou & Fantasio
« on: July 29, 2020, 07:12:10 AM »

Born in the Golden Age, though less well known than Asterix or Tintin, Spirou & Fantasio is in the same vein of madcap Gallic humour - two journalists get themselves mixed up in all kinds of crazy stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirou_%26_Fantasio

The books are all available in English from the usual outlets - and in downloadable form.

If they grab you, check out the stylish 2018 Live Action Movie:

https://en.unifrance.org/movie/43686/spirou-fantasio-s-big-adventure

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Spirou & Fantasio
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 08:19:29 AM »

Thanks for reminding me of Spirou, Andrew.  But for me, more importantly than the main characters, is the mention of  Jije' -  Joseph Gillain, an excellent dessinateur and creator of Jerry Spring. 
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 08:55:44 AM »

I had my first contact with 'Spirou & Fantasio' as a child in the 60s, in the 'Fix and Foxi' comic booklets of the Rolf Kauka Verlag.

Rolf Kauka's "Fix and Foxi" was a comic magazine, similar to "Mickey Mouse", in which mainly German and Franco-Belgian comics were printed.

We children at that time liked to read "Fix and Foxi", but even better "Mickey Mouse" :D because there was Donald Comic in it.  ;D

I once had a complete collection of "Spirou & Fantasio", today I still have "only" all the stories of Andr
ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 02:59:58 PM »

The hardcover books are incomplete, because the collection begins with Franquin's stories - maybe because they're more bankable than Rob-Vell's? Of course, they're great and seminal - most of the time, when a new author or team begins working on the series, they look back at Franquin's stories - but it's a bit frustrating. If you start from them and start asking questions like "How did Spirou and Fantasio meet?", "Why is Spirou dressed like a groom?", you don't have any answers. That said, you never really need to know the answers prior to reading a story. You just get into it and you know from the beginning all you need to know.

There's a spin-off titled "Le Spirou de..." ("The Spirou story by...") where different authors can develop their vision of Spirou in a self-contained, out-of-continuity story. You even get a sci-fi Spirou and a reimagining of Spirou's early years as a groom before World War II by Emile Bravo (a story that spun a sequel in three books).

On a personal note "Spirou in New York" was one of my favourite comicbooks when I got it back in 1994. That was during a special promotion by Dupuis, with special reprints (99% identical to current prints) for 10 francs during a week. Nowadays, there are annual operations with special reprints for 2
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 05:27:11 PM »

My absolute favorite villain is the Zyklotrop. :) (engl. Cyclotrop)  (frz. Zorglub)
ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 10:01:16 PM »

He's played by Ramzy Bedia (mostly known as a comic actor) in the movie. Too bad the character wasn't so well-written - just like the whole movie, in fact.

Zantafio is also a great antagonist, as seen in "The Dictator and the Mushroom".
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.