in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Worst TITLE for a Golden Age Comic Anthology?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Worst TITLE for a Golden Age Comic Anthology?  (Read 5809 times)

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
Worst TITLE for a Golden Age Comic Anthology?
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:09:12 AM »

I guess we could divide this by subject/publisher,but for now,what is might be the worst title for a comic anthology?

My Choice - "Crack Comics"
(and By extention, "Crack Western")

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:18:39 AM by DennyWilson »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Worst TITLE for a Golden Age Comic Anthology?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »

I would have to go with Gay Comics in the GA
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 01:16:33 PM »

Not that their bad, but I get tired of all the vigorously titled ones, i.e. "Smash, Exciting, Thrilling, Pep, Zip". I guess it's harder to name an anthology title because there are so many characters. 
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 02:05:01 PM »

I'd opt for Whiz and Bang-Up.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 05:35:28 PM »

Hillman's "Clue Comics".  I feel that this was a fairly solid book, with Boy King, Nightmare & Twilight, but the title was pretty weak in relationship to the features inside the book.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:46:38 PM »

Captain Billy's Whiz Bang Comics?
ip icon Logged

Poztron

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 06:53:09 PM »

To me the worst titles are the dullest. Croydon's Blue Circle and Red Circle sound like subway lines. Gerona's Top Spot, MLJ's Blue Ribbon and Novelty Press's 4Most sound like brands of milk.

But the most ridiculous name for an ongoing title is One Shot (from Holyoke).  ;D
ip icon Logged

slingsla

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: slingsla
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »

My vote would go to the rather broad title "Real Life Comics"
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 08:14:44 PM »

Red Band has to go along with Red Circle

Holyoke One Shot was a name made up name for a non-series
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »

It's like they were just looking around their offices and saw a red circle somewhere and went "oh, that's good enough". Could have been worse I guess. They could have named it "Brown coffee ring stain".
I think I saw "Negro Romance" somewhere. That's pretty sad.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 09:55:31 PM »

All Negro and Sugerfoot Jones are some titles that would be not OK now but for the times things were different. Negro Romance was actually a good thing giving ethnic indentification not offence
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 11:49:35 PM »

Not that their bad, but I get tired of all the vigorously titled ones, i.e. "Smash, Exciting, Thrilling, Pep, Zip". I guess it's harder to name an anthology title because there are so many characters. 

Remember, by 1940 DC/National/All-American has registered most of the good titles - some they were using,some they were about to use,and some they never used ("Old Glory","Radio Funnies","Red White and Blue" and so on.)
ip icon Logged

Poztron

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 12:21:08 AM »

Remember, by 1940 DC/National/All-American has registered most of the good titles - some they were using,some they were about to use,and some they never used ("Old Glory","Radio Funnies","Red White and Blue" and so on.)

Yet, they somehow missed registering Psychoanalysis comics!!  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 12:23:16 AM »

And EC capitalized on their mistake  :)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 12:30:11 AM »

And you have to remember that these people started out as accountants and printers and distributors and lawyers - not the most creative types. AND, since the big winner of the sales award was ACTION comics, it's not too difficult to understand their "inspiration".

Make it short, pithy and exciting (or thrilling, or, well, you get the idea...).

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 12:35:20 AM »

And you have to remember that these people started out as accountants and printers and distributors and lawyers - not the most creative types. AND, since the big winner of the sales award was ACTION comics, it's not too difficult to understand their "inspiration".

Make it short, pithy and exciting (or thrilling, or, well, you get the idea...).

Peace, Jim (|:{>

''Balance Sheet Monthly'', ''In The Black'', ''Account Overdue'', ''Allowance for Doubtful Accounts'' and other fiscally responsible titles from Accountants Publishing.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 02:39:31 AM »

''Balance Sheet Monthly'', ''In The Black'', ''Account Overdue'', ''Allowance for Doubtful Accounts'' and other fiscally responsible titles from Accountants Publishing.

I'ld buy a copy of "In The Black".  Sounds spooky!
ip icon Logged

Poztron

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 03:49:38 AM »

My nomination for the "best" "worst" title is Zoot Comics from Fox. It still cracks me up. And it had nothing to do with zoot suits. Go figure.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.