in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Best Year Ever

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Best Year Ever  (Read 417 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Best Year Ever
« on: September 18, 2020, 11:00:36 AM »

What was the best year ever?

Previously, I would have said 1961 - the last year (until 8008, I believe) that has rotational symmetry.

However, I've recently been persuaded that 1962 might be better - 1962 brought us The Beatles, the Beach Boys went surfing and Joe Meek gave us Telstar. In comics, Spiderman and Diabolik made their first appearance. From Russia with Love and the unsettling Lolita appeared in film (with a masterful performance from James Mason) - in books, we had Clockwork Orange. On TV, there was Z-Cars, Emergency Ward-10, Edgar Wallace Mysteries, Crackerjack, The Liars, Jonny Quest and Compact. Spurs won the FA Cup (I remember watching it on our first TV - Spurs beat Burnley 3-1 and my hero, Jimmy Greaves scored a goal.

The death of Marilyn Monroe was a bit of a bummer but no year is perfect.

What would be your favourite year?
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Best Year Ever
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 05:40:35 PM »

Previously, I would have said 1961 - the last year (until 8008, I believe) that has rotational symmetry.

However, I've recently been persuaded that 1962 might be better - 1962 brought us The Beatles, the Beach Boys went surfing and Joe Meek gave us Telstar. In comics, Spiderman and Diabolik made their first appearance. From Russia with Love and the unsettling Lolita appeared in film (with a masterful performance from James Mason) - in books, we had Clockwork Orange. On TV, there was Z-Cars, Emergency Ward-10, Edgar Wallace Mysteries, Crackerjack, The Liars, Jonny Quest and Compact. Spurs won the FA Cup (I remember watching it on our first TV - Spurs beat Burnley 3-1 and my hero, Jimmy Greaves scored a goal.

The death of Marilyn Monroe was a bit of a bummer but no year is perfect.

What would be your favourite year?

For me, choosing a SINGLE favourite year would be truly difficult.  That choice would be based on a blending of what was happening in several aspects of my life.  the most important was what was going on with me personally.  Changes in lifestyle, sports, music, films, comic books, and technology were all secondary.

I would say that 1964 was my most memorable year, followed closely by 1954, then 1953, then 1965.  The early 1950s was very nice because the economies both in Western Canada and in The Netherlands (where we spent summers with family there) were booming, and people were getting back to normal after The War.  I like the comic books, films and music generally more from 1949-55 better than that of any other time, except that music had another peak in the early 1960s.  Sports was good all the way through, based on my own ice hockey "career", and my fandom in ice hockey and football.  I started touring Europe, North Africa, and The Middle East every summer in the mid 1960s, and working for First Nation and Native American tribes in the 1970s, and then worked and lived in The Middle East, Africa, and The Far East from 1977-1988 on projects for The U.N.  So, there were many highlights then, too.  I had many high points scattered throughout my life, with a few low points.  But, if a gun were held to my head, I'd list 1964 as my favourite, and as far as I'm concerned, it was a TERRIBLE year for comic books, a super year for music, a good year for sports, an average year for films, an average year for novels(as there were many good ones in most years), and a standard good year (not among the very best-but pretty good) for my personal situation.

As to the comics then, Disney Comics (and ALL the animation-based comics) from USA had been on the decline since 1959, and in The Netherlands, they had also started to decline by 1964,  There would be a great new classical age in The Netherlands from 1973-1989, but 1964 was weak.  Music was great then, however, with Motown, and Chicago Soul, and the revival of Jazz.  Sports was good except for my "retirement" from organised hockey during the 1963-64 season, when I moved with my parents and siblings to Chicago from Winnipeg.  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers Canadian Football League team was still one of the best teams, Our neighbour and family friend, was still playing well as a regular for The Chicago Blackhawks, National Hockey League team, who made the playoffs, as usual (I was a fan of that team).  The James Bond films were going well.

All in all, I enjoyed the late 1940s, all of the 1950s, and all of the 1960s.  I think most people have more of their memorable times during their youth, when they are learning about The World, and most new experiences are wondrous, and their young adulthood, when they are experiencing new things in a new kind of freedom.  As they move into a settled down routine, and face the serious responsibilities of later early adulthood and into middle age, they are concentrating less on individual things that excite them, and more on their overall situation (where being a steady breadwinner is good (and individual highlights and lowpoints are not something upon which concentration is practical, or warranted.

Yet middle age can be more enjoyable over all, because one can be more mellow and relaxed, knowing that he or she has passed the "test of life", if he or she has succeeded in a career, and raising a family, and being an upstanding citizen, and has a comfortable life, and is satisfied with that, realising that he or she can't move mountains on his/her own to change The World for the better in a big way.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 05:43:50 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 07:52:30 AM »

Excellent response, Robb - I agree with your description of changing responsibilities through the passage of life all the way.

As a small aside, I've been told 6009 is the next year with rotational symmetry - I won't hold my breath.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 08:37:16 AM »

As is well known, everything has two sides. :)

Personelly, I will never forget 1984 and that has nothing to do with Orwell. ;) 1984 was just a very eventful year for me.

But then came 1985! My love for comics, fell asleep gently over 10 years ago, came to life again and for the next 15 years, I preferred to spend my money on comics. Later I had to sell a lot of comics again :( but the ones, that are most important and dear to me, of course I still have them. 8)

In general, I would say that 1969 was the most important year for mankind. For the first time, people entered another heavenly body. I think, that was the biggest turning point so far.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 07:24:46 AM by Comickraut »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 06:16:02 AM »

Ask me a question like this and I will ruminate on it for some time. i'm also conscious that the context is that we are on CB+, so I'm thinking,

as the question might relate to the Golden Age.
Also, I'm unorthodox [perverse?], so I don't necessarily believe that chopping time up into chronological years gives you a true picture. So a twelve-month period from midyear to midyear 12 months later might be more accurate. For example, Superman Debuted in April 1938 and Batman in Sept 1939. So I would count that time period as significant.
Captain Marvel first appeared in Whiz Comics #2 (cover-dated Feb. 1940), published by Fawcett Comics

It would be very useful if somebody who had the time and the resources constructed a Golden Age Timeline, featuring Characters, Titles. Artists, Writers, and Publishers as a minimum. I found one in a search but it only had 9 entries. Woefully inadequate.
Would have to go back to at least 1934.
Mandrake began publication on June 11, 1934. ..... Mandrake, along with the Phantom Magician in Mel Graff's The Adventures of Patsy, is regarded by comics historians as the first superhero of comics, such as comics historian Don Markstein, who writes, "Some people say Mandrake the Magician, who started in 1934, was comics' first superhero."

The Phantom is an American adventure comic strip, first published by Lee Falk in February 1936.

And we are talking about comic books here, not comic strips, which go back much further.

1947 has to be pretty significant.
Uncle Scrooge first appeared in Four Color Comics #178 in the story Christmas on Bear Mountain, published in December of 1947.

In my trawling through CB+ and associated trawling through 'the Internets',the year 1949 seems to come up a lot.
Since that was the year I entered this world, that will do me.
61-63 was the origin of Marvel comics and the beginning of the Silver Age. In the same time period and for me, more important in keeping me reading comics, was the creation of Gold Key and the Titles Star Trek,Twilight Zone, Outer Limits,. Dr Solar, Magnus Robot Fighter, Space Family Robinson,and many others. I would hazard that these were important in changing the market for comics to one for Adults. And yes, there were Humor and Funny Animal comics but they were largely on their way out. This was also the time [in the US] of Saturday Morning cartoons. In the land of OZ we got them during the week [after school] between 4:00 and 6:00 pm as well as Get Smart, Adams Family and so on. At that time no kid in OZ wanted to be in front of a TV on Saturday Morning.           

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 08:40:38 AM »

Ask me a question like this and I will ruminate on it for some time. i'm also conscious that the context is that we are on CB+, so I'm thinking,

as the question might relate to the Golden Age.
Also, I'm unorthodox [perverse?], so I don't necessarily believe that chopping time up into chronological years gives you a true picture. So a twelve-month period from midyear to midyear 12 months later might be more accurate. For example, Superman Debuted in April 1938 and Batman in Sept 1939. So I would count that time period as significant.
Captain Marvel first appeared in Whiz Comics #2 (cover-dated Feb. 1940), published by Fawcett Comics

It would be very useful if somebody who had the time and the resources constructed a Golden Age Timeline, featuring Characters, Titles. Artists, Writers, and Publishers as a minimum. I found one in a search but it only had 9 entries. Woefully inadequate.
Mandrake began publication on June 11, 1934. ..... Mandrake, along with the Phantom Magician in Mel Graff's The Adventures of Patsy, is regarded by comics historians as the first superhero of comics, such as comics historian Don Markstein, who writes, "Some people say Mandrake the Magician, who started in 1934, was comics' first superhero."

The Phantom is an American adventure comic strip, first published by Lee Falk in February 1936.

And we are talking about comic books here, not comic strips, which go back much further.

1947 has to be pretty significant.
Uncle Scrooge first appeared in Four Color Comics #178 in the story Christmas on Bear Mountain, published in December of 1947.

In my trawling through CB+ and associated trawling through 'the Internets',the year 1949 seems to come up a lot.
Since that was the year I entered this world, that will do me.
61-63 was the origin of Marvel comics and the beginning of the Silver Age. In the same time period and for me, more important in keeping me reading comics, was the creation of Gold Key and the Titles Star Trek,Twilight Zone, Outer Limits,. Dr Solar, Magnus Robot Fighter, Space Family Robinson,and many others. I would hazard that these were important in changing the market for comics to one for Adults. And yes, there were Humor and Funny Animal comics but they were largely on their way out. This was also the time [in the US] of Saturday Morning cartoons. In the land of OZ we got them during the week [after school] between 4:00 and 6:00 pm as well as Get Smart, Adams Family and so on. At that time no kid in OZ wanted to be in front of a TV on Saturday Morning.           

I wouldn't have wanted to be caught dead having my eyes glued to a TV set on Saturday mornings.  I was playing hockey from age 6-17.  Besides, there wasn't much on TV in Western Canada until 1955 (when I was 9 already).  I didn't have time, as it was to do all my chores, homework, practise hockey and play league games, and also work some hours in my father's store.  Good thing I had late night hours to read comic books in bed with a flashlight!

Concentrating on my best years with comic books, I started in 1948, having my older cousins' comics read to me, and started reading back to my parents and grandparents in 1950. Those 2nd-hand comics were all from 1940-1950.  My parents started buying new funny animal comics for me in 1950, and I started buying them on my own and collecting them around 1952 (right when the Uncle Scrooge comic book started). So, I guess my favourite years related to comics were 1949-1955.  The classic art of Carl Barks, Walt Kelly, Floyd Gottfredson, John Stanley, Ken Hultgren, Lynn Karp, Tony Strobl, Bill Wright, Dick Moores, Harvey Eisenberg, Al Taliaferro, Otto Messmer, Dan Gormley, Jack Bradbury, Al Hubbard, Manny Gonzalez, Don Gunn, Gil Turner, Don R. Christensen, Vince and Al Fago, Jim Tyer, Ken Champin, Vivie Risto, Dan Gordon, Milt Stein, Bob Wickersham, Manny Perez, Ed Dunn, Ernie Hart, Hawley Pratt, Jim Davis, Chad Grothkopf, Joe Oriolo, Preston Blair, Ray Patin, Frank Frazetta, and so many more classic artists had their peak comics periods mainly during those years.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 10:44:07 AM »

While not exactly what you're looking for Wikipedia has lists for

Superhero Debuts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superhero_debuts

Supervillain Debuts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comic_book_supervillain_debuts

List of Years in Comics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_comics
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 02:36:43 AM »

Thank you Scrounge. I'll get to these.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 08:31:24 AM »

While not exactly what you're looking for Wikipedia has lists for

Superhero Debuts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superhero_debuts

Supervillain Debuts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comic_book_supervillain_debuts

List of Years in Comics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_comics

Yes, thanks very much.  These lists will come in handy!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.