in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Phil May

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Phil May  (Read 1496 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Phil May
« on: October 10, 2020, 04:24:49 PM »

I should have posted this a while ago.  I've always been a fan of The Pretty Things and Phil May was one of my hero vocalists. He passed away earlier this year.  This obituary from the NY Times:-
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/arts/music/phil-may-dead.html

The band was appreciated by many stellar figures in music, David Bowie; Joey Ramone; Jimmy Page; Iggy Pop, to name a few.  I remember the first time I saw them on tv in the '60's.  Never seen anything like it up til then.
If you fancy a look and listen to The Prettys  re-doing the first rock opera, S.F. Sorrow, yes, before Tommy, and better imo, click the link, but, be warned, there are a couple of sweary words. The wonderful Arthur Brown narrates and David Gilmour guests - will the hairs on the back of your neck stand up at a couple of bits when Gilmour is playing? Mine did:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5DSvDb9o4
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
Re: Phil May
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:40:42 PM »

Well well, will wonders never cease?  I've been a Pretty Things fan from day 1 (hearing Rosalyn on the radio) up to what IMHO is the band's last real album, Rage Before Beauty (the long-delayed "reply" to Crosstalk.) After that the line-up altered and Phil and Dick remained the only two original members, resulting in a very-much-changed overall sound.

I was devastated to hear of Phil's death (in an emergency operation after breaking a hip falling off his bike) and saddened because he'd returned to performing after a long bout of COPD related to depression and lack of self-care following his much earlier divorce  (the subject matter of many of the songs on Crosstalk and Rage Before Beauty.)  I always felt he deserved a better death than passing away on an operating table.

And I do agree that S F Sorrow was the definitive Rock Opera and a work of great imagination, which also deserved better than it got, delayed in release until after The Who's Tommy, so that appeared to be a copy rather than the originator. Anyway, always nice to hear from another fan, thanks paw.

If you've got time to spare you can read my Band Biography of the Pretties at: http://www.britishbluesarchive.org.uk/Biographies/Pretty_Things.php  It's a few years out of date now but there's still tons of info for interested parties. Meanwhile, let me say an RIP and a fond farewell to the illustrious Phil May, sadly missed.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Phil May
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »

Well, bluesman, I nearly teared up there reading your post.  I've been following the Pretties since that first time I saw them on tv.  Yes, Rosalyn, raw, hard, exciting.  I'll have a gander at your bio.  Thanks.
It would be interesting if some of the other members on here had a look at the band, just to see what they made of Phil and co.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.