in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Frisky Animals on Parade 1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Frisky Animals on Parade 1  (Read 227 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: October 15, 2020, 06:30:03 PM »

It's fun to read old "novelty item" ads. I didn't order it from a comic book, but I had one of those shoot-around-the-corner squirt guns. What they don't show is your victim coming around the corner ready to punch your lights out. We didn't need to spend 39c to "turn our bikes into motorcycles." We just attached a playing card to the fork with a clothespin.I always wanted one of those BB machine guns. Has anyone ever seen or owned one?

Link to the book: Frisky Animals on Parade 1
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »

It's fun to read old "novelty item" ads. I didn't order it from a comic book, but I had one of those shoot-around-the-corner squirt guns. What they don't show is your victim coming around the corner ready to punch your lights out. We didn't need to spend 39c to "turn our bikes into motorcycles." We just attached a playing card to the fork with a clothespin.I always wanted one of those BB machine guns. Has anyone ever seen or owned one?

WOW!  A BB machine gun!!!  I knew The Americans were ridiculously warlike and gun-crazy.  But THAT is going too far!  I, my brother, and my cousins all had regular BB rifles.  And my grandmother always told us to be careful with those, as "You could put someone's eye out!".  Imagine an empathyless monster kid (bully type) shooting that towards the faces of kids he didn't like! 
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 06:31:59 AM »

WOW!  A BB machine gun!!!  I knew The Americans were ridiculously warlike and gun-crazy.  But THAT is going too far!  I, my brother, and my cousins all had regular BB rifles.  And my grandmother always told us to be careful with those, as "You could put someone's eye out!".  Imagine an empathyless monster kid (bully type) shooting that towards the faces of kids he didn't like!

A youth gang in Nigeria were caught deliberately blinding younger children with air soft pistols, training for bigger things if they reached adulthood I suppose.
Check youtube for reviews of modern full auto air rifles, some are definitely deadly. While one or two hits by a pellet could cause serious injury imagine a ten round burst to the face with each shot capable of penetrating a steel garbage can.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 07:41:13 AM »

BB guns are definitely dangerous as are Airsoft guns, "rubber" bullets and other "less than lethal" weapons. Robb is spot on, of course. Guns are the true American religion, as witness the legal contortions used to justify shooting whomever makes one feel uncomfortable. I went through my youthful gun phase but fortunately outgrew it.

As for the toy BB machine gun, a machine gun with the firing power of a BB rifle would indeed be a formidable weapon. However I'm pretty sure the $1.98 device wasn't like that. I managed to find one online photo of what appeared to be a BB machine gun. The antique dealer selling it said, "It looks like it was supposed to shoot something." It was a cheap tin replica of a WWI Maxim gun, with a narrow box on the back, a wide cylindrical barrel, and a tripod stand. The whole thing was maybe 8 inches long. There was a flimsy crank on one side of the box and an opening in the top, a hopper into which you poured the BBs. Judging by the photos the crank was attached to a spring-loaded catapult. Turning the crank would "flick" out a BB. A new BB dropped into place and was flicked in its turn. With that mechanism I doubt the BBs came out very fast. They probably flew a foot or two and crashed. Odd, though, that with all the ads for the thing over the years, and all the model variations, no one seems to have offered one online. Tons of other novelty toys (X-Ray Specs and Voice Thrower, for instance) are on ebay and its brothers all the time.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 06:20:06 AM »

BB guns are definitely dangerous as are Airsoft guns, "rubber" bullets and other "less than lethal" weapons. Robb is spot on, of course. Guns are the true American religion, as witness the legal contortions used to justify shooting whomever makes one feel uncomfortable. I went through my youthful gun phase but fortunately outgrew it.

As for the toy BB machine gun, a machine gun with the firing power of a BB rifle would indeed be a formidable weapon. However I'm pretty sure the $1.98 device wasn't like that. I managed to find one online photo of what appeared to be a BB machine gun. The antique dealer selling it said, "It looks like it was supposed to shoot something." It was a cheap tin replica of a WWI Maxim gun, with a narrow box on the back, a wide cylindrical barrel, and a tripod stand. The whole thing was maybe 8 inches long. There was a flimsy crank on one side of the box and an opening in the top, a hopper into which you poured the BBs. Judging by the photos the crank was attached to a spring-loaded catapult. Turning the crank would "flick" out a BB. A new BB dropped into place and was flicked in its turn. With that mechanism I doubt the BBs came out very fast. They probably flew a foot or two and crashed. Odd, though, that with all the ads for the thing over the years, and all the model variations, no one seems to have offered one online. Tons of other novelty toys (X-Ray Specs and Voice Thrower, for instance) are on ebay and its brothers all the time.

Well at that point in time every country on earth was more than a little gun crazy, and most still are to some extent.
Some have less criminal activity with guns, knives, machettes, bombs and acid seem to be the chosen substitutes,, but every decade or so they go ape and invade their neighbors, killing tens of millions before getting curb stomped by allies of their prospective victims.
Ethnic violence is also a major problem, which comes with the territory of a "melting pot".
I've noticed the tendency of some Europeans to decry the "Imperialism" of the USA, while conveniently white washing their own nation's centuries of real live imperialism and oppression of entire ethnic groups and even multi ethnic populations.

I collect airguns in a small way and I've found that while the earliest children's BB airguns were American inventions much more powerful airguns suitable for military use were European inventions and efficient small game capable pellet rifles were often designed and manufactured In Great Britain.
The first military styled full auto Airguns I can remember being marketed in the USA, the Drozod, were Russian designed and manufactured.
The pre WW2 Japanese rather than going to airguns for recreational shooting preferred scaled down military type bolt action rifles firing very lightweight finned projectiles at low velocities. Civilians, especially school children were encouraged to practice often and most schools had drill rifles.

Most of Europe were very happy to accept American firearms to protect themselves from foreign invaders .
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.