in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: When I Was In Germany

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: When I Was In Germany  (Read 154 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: October 22, 2020, 01:30:02 AM »

This is a very interesting document. Obviously an amateur production. There were countless cartoon books about World War I but this is the first one I've seen about the postwar occupation. The only mention of the War is the reference on page 3 to "that hike from the Argonne." The battle of Argonne was one of the deadliest battles in US history (26,000 Americans out of over 350,000 casualties on all sides). The book is remarkably free of hostility toward the Germans. Maybe Pvt. McGinness created it partly to put all that behind him and enjoy his hard-won R&R.

Link to the book: When I Was In Germany
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 08:25:31 PM »

It's a very insightful view of a soldier's tour of duty (other than his work) in Germany after WWI, giving a good feel for what his life was like there.  Seems as though he enjoyed himself, but was glad to be returning home to The Good Ol' USA.  The drawings were loose, and with a very innocent feel.  All in all, reading this was a very pleasant experience.   :)
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 12:30:30 PM »

Ein wirklich sehr interessantes B
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 03:31:58 PM »

Ich stimme absolut zu. Eine Energiequelle, die oft
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.