in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Addams Family / Munsters

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Addams Family / Munsters  (Read 746 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Addams Family / Munsters
« on: October 23, 2020, 10:51:30 AM »

Good news that MGM have signed on the dotted line for a reboot of the Addams Family - but what about the Munsters, when will they return.

I've discovered in life that people are either in the Addams Family camp or the Munsters camp.

I was always in the Munsters camp - how about you?
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
Re: Addams Family / Munsters
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 12:43:07 PM »

I have to say, that I am against the new editions of TV series and films. Who wants to see the new 'Magnum' series? Who wants to see the new 'All Creatures Great And Small' series? I hope nobody. 8)

Although the Addams Family is absolutely wonderful, but I'm more at home at 1313 Mockingbird Lane. :o

BTW, there are many Munster comic books at archive.org. :)
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 11:36:44 AM »

Thanks for the tip on the Munsters comics - I'll be there.

Tim Burton to produce the new Addams Family series - is that good or bad?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 12:44:32 PM »

Its not good.
Munsters or Addams? Addams begat Munsters. End of Story.
And hey, this is a comic site?
Charles Addams was a cartoonist? If you haven't seen a collection of his cartoons, you are not an Addams family fan.
Charles Addams and "The Town That Time Forgot"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFu9VkCGcnU
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »

Thanks for the tip on the Munsters comics - I'll be there.

If there were new "Adams family" or the "Munsters" TV series I hope my TV has a color killer option. Neither series would be watchable in color.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 09:16:05 PM »

I preferred "The Addams Family".  I thought it had some truly funny situations about a weird family, that certainly COULD have existed.  Wasn't it based on an actual eccentric and weird family?

I thought that The Munsters was "trying too hard" to be funny. It seemed too silly.  Although, its cast was very, very good.  It was the writing that was weak, and reaching. The Addams family had some clever bits.

Thanks for that video on The Addams family.  Interesting things to learn after all these years.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 01:51:48 AM »

'The Munsters'  cast was very, very good.

Fred Gwynne was memorable as Herman.

12 Life Lessons from Herman Munster | The Munsters | COZI Dozen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CEtKHow-bE

Last one particularly apt today!

And that Car was unforgettable!

My favorite Charles Addams cartoon:-

We are looking at the audience in a theatre, from the viewpoint of the screen, which is behind us so we can't see what they are watching. No dialogue or words in the cartoon.
The audience are crying their eyes out. Except Uncle Fester, who sits dead centre laughing fit to bust.     
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:09:59 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 03:47:46 AM »

I preferred "The Addams Family".  I thought it had some truly funny situations about a weird family, that certainly COULD have existed.  Wasn't it based on an actual eccentric and weird family?

I suspect it was based on the Dupont family. With a little less incest perhaps.
The Duponts in turn seemed determined to carry on the traditions of "the House of Usher", both family fortunes being based on supplying munitions to the most horrendous conflicts of their respective eras.
One Dupont heir kept a military tank on his estate and used it to chase his sister around the lawn.

There were a number of other possible inspirations. late 19th and early 20th century medical treatments, Syphilis , the mercury and arsenic used to treat it, the over the counter Cocaine and Heroin,  plus the many toxic materials used in furnishing the upper class homes produced many wealthy wackos, such as "the Butcher of Kingsbury Row" .
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 06:24:03 AM »

Reminds me of the Far Side cartoon showing a movie theater filled with humanoid ketchup bottles. On the screen is a murder scene. Mama ketchup is trying to comfort her crying child: "Don't worry, honey, it's not real ketchup."

I never cared much for either The Addams Family or The Munsters, but I appreciate the Addamses because they paid my bills for a few months. I drew storyboards for the effects sequences in both The Addams Family and Addams Family Values features in the early 90s. (Like most of my board work I was working through an effects house so I didn't get screen credit.) I never got round to watching the movies.
ip icon Logged

Jetstone

message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 11:35:09 PM »

John Aston and Lurch are irresistible but ultimately, Grandpa Al Lewis, a dinosaur under the stairs, the two George Barris hot rods and jet airplane sound effects when Herman hits a baseball... and the oft besmirched but super over the top LILY make it not even a contest.
The transition from Herman's makeup in the pilot and his eventual manifestation is intriguing.
Trying too hard to be funny and succeeding is my humble take. Show that always failed while trying too hard ( for me ) DICK VAN DYKE, LARRY SANDERS, MASH.

TV is all about pandering to demographics and vulgar tastes of moneyed insider nepotists now.
I had to pick up the first two seasons of SNL. Now it's too vulgar and politicized to describe in polite language. Ditto in spades for movies only add super rude audio volume, barf bag level of distasteful sight gags.

Of course I'll reverse course for the Naked Gun movies because I loved POLICE SQUAD.
MAFIA and WALKHARD  and WHAT'S HIS NAME POWERS all had ingredients of genuine greatness but decided to go the off puttingly raunchy  low road... as did TRAINSPOTTING 2.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.