in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Blackhawk 069

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Blackhawk 069  (Read 270 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« on: November 06, 2020, 12:00:03 AM »

Interesting Roll call on page 28. So the Blackhawks were still fighting during the cold war?
Nice Cover too.

Link to the book: Blackhawk 069
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 03:27:51 AM »

Yep. They had 'present-day' adventures up until DC canceled the book in the late sixties. Fighting gangsters, Bond-style villains, mad scientists, space aliens, they even had brief super-hero career. I think most of the revival attempts set them back during WWII.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 04:22:52 AM »

Up until the end of the Quality run (#107) Blackhawk constantly featured Cold War stories. The boys fought the Russians, Communist dictators in imaginary countries, invading Red armies, all sorts of stuff. When DC took over with #108 that changed in an instant. They made Chop Chop look a little more human (though admittedly the change had begun in the later Quality books) and eliminated any trace of politics or war, which had been the book's stock in trade. The Blackhawks began fighting an increasingly ludicrous parade of aliens real and fake, gangsters on flying carpets, sorcerers, monsters, and anything else Jack Schiff's writers could dream up. This went on for years.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 07:00:41 AM »

I remember the DC Blackhawks. I never read any of them. Just seemed silly and pointless to me. So the Quality stories are something of a revelation.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 11:20:03 AM »

Great cover.  I loved Blackhawk, even though I never saw the Quality issues when I was young.  Not available here. But as a superhero nut, I had to have those really pretty bad issues when the Blackhawks became costumed heroes.  Here they are.
Also, Lady Blackhawk somehow acquired super powers a couple of times, I seem to remember.  Just like Batman did in Worlds Finest. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:22:37 AM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 04:50:02 PM »

Come on peeps!!!!! No interest in superpowered lady heroes???????  How can you not like Zinda and Kathy Kane, in those great costumes, with powers.  Just like Batman gaining superpowers in those late '50's, early '60's tales.  Daft, silly stuff but great fun. I was sure some of you would react, even if only to slag off my bad taste ::)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 01:30:03 AM »

Peeps?!

I am, like you a Kathy Kane fan. {the original as depicted] and also of Betty Kane, the original Batgirl. And so are many others apparently as you will find out if you search for Origninal Kathy Kane. Do this search and then click 'images' for evidence of serious interest in the character.
Kathy Kane to Batman, ' I have almost a decade of life experience on you. I'm Richer than you, I'm smarter than you and there are no rules to this. Are we having a team-up or not?' You go girl!
https://batman.fandom.com/wiki/Kathy_Kane/Gallery?file=1737730-binc04_014.jpg

Zinda?  Definitely serious eye candy. But that's the problem. Doesn't work for me as a believable costume for being a blackhawk.
And that Blackhawk page you printed in your post. Amazing! That's the sort of stuff teenage boys don't want their parents seeing. Did somebody say, Subliminal? Who says comic creators don't amuse themselves?

Cheers.   

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.