in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Jack Kirby Discussion

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Jack Kirby Discussion  (Read 25418 times)

carbon_psycho

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: carbon_psycho
message icon
Jack Kirby Discussion
« on: March 21, 2010, 05:14:20 PM »

What's your favourite comic by Jack Kirby.

*Favourite Comic written by him.
                   &
*Favourite Comic drawn by him.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Jack Kirby Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »

What's your favourite comic by Jack Kirby.

*Favourite Comic written by him.
                   &
*Favourite Comic drawn by him.

Strange as it sounds, I am more of a fan of his Silver Age work on Captain America than any of his Golden Age work. His New Gods saga is still a favorite.

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:20:51 PM »

Wow what a difference of opinions. His making Cap's stories cosmic turned me off so completely. His Fantastic 4 was my intro and favorite of his work
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »

Wow what a difference of opinions. His making Cap's stories cosmic turned me off so completely. His Fantastic 4 was my intro and favorite of his work

I am "out there" Narf!  ;D ;D  The King's work on The Eternals was quite awesome also.

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »

While I enjoyed some of the fourth world stuff the big muscle women turned me off. I totally hated his return to Marvel
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »

I never liked his early Marvel stuff until recently. I didn't like how bulky the people seemed. Even the women. What I think is funny is how his GA looks different from his early Marvel work. Never read New Gods but I loved The Eternals.
ip icon Logged

skybandit

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: skybandit
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:59:43 PM »

The original Challengers of the Unknown, I think, stands the test of time.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »

Challengers yes as well as Kirby's work on The Fly and Shield at Archie
ip icon Logged

carbon_psycho

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: carbon_psycho
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »

No love for his work on Sgt. Fury & The Howling Commandos & The Losers?

I have yet to read New Gods...
ip icon Logged

swatpup32

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: swatpup32
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »

Personally i really like most of Kirby work. I thinks how unique the artwork is that makes me interested in it. Beside Marvel, His Dc work is pretty interesting. Like Kamandi, Love the whole Planet of the Apes angle.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:13:21 PM »

Not sure what's going on here but I posted my starter thoughts on Kirby about an hour ago and now I see there's nothing from me shown.  All very strange.
Anyway, G.A. Cap was exciting, fast enterteinment and I also love his Sandman (although the non Kirby gas mask costume is my favouite) but, although Fourth World marked my return to comics reading and collecting, I feel, on reflection, it marked the start of a slight downturn in the quality of his work. And I didn't go for those muscle women - they were a bit of a turn off.  As for the Eternals, well, that was a pretty poor series, in art as well as story.
So what about the G.A. Sandman or Manhunter for that matter?  What do you think?
Challengers was incredibly exciting at the start and not a super hero in sight.  Also, I love The Fly - Kirby and non Kirby.  I'd be interested in anyones thoughts on this character, also on Private Strong.
ip icon Logged

Komandi

message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »

There was no finer comic book art run than Kirby/Sinott on the FF (IMHO of course). 

When I was a kid in the sixties, there were two categories of comic book artists that existed for me:  those who were Jack Kirby and those who weren't.  He was an absolute hero of mine. 

:)

Although I have grown to appreciate many other artists since then. 

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »

As I mentioned Kirby's FF is my favorite work of his. I agree that his work on Sandman was some of his best but I too prefer the gas mask costume as more original and neat. Probably why it has been the one used in the SA and beyond to make a more distinctive character. Private Strong in general was fairly lackluster but kirby's Fly was really good stuff.
ip icon Logged

Komandi

message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 03:05:44 PM »

As I mentioned Kirby's FF is my favorite work of his. I agree that his work on Sandman was some of his best but I too prefer the gas mask costume as more original and neat. Probably why it has been the one used in the SA and beyond to make a more distinctive character. Private Strong in general was fairly lackluster but kirby's Fly was really good stuff.

I don't see any of those titles on the GAC.  :(

Is there any golden-age Kirby in the Public Domain? 
ip icon Logged

skybandit

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: skybandit
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 04:02:06 PM »

Go to the Grand Comics Databas and look up Kirby.  Compare that data to what's here.  You'll find plenty!
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 05:25:48 PM »

Same thoughts here as most others, GA Sandman and Manhunter, mid 60's Fantastic Four and Thor.

Also Fighting American, Boy Commando's, Newsboy Legion, and Boys Ranch to name just a few.

Guess I'm just an out and out fan having grown up on the mans work but like many here felt his return to Marvel was a great disapointment although his 2001 and Cap's Bi-Centeneral battles were highlights of this rather lackluster period to my mind.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 04:10:38 PM »

I suppose it's age and things slip my mind but clocking the mention of Fighting American reminded me how much I enjoy those comics, despite all the commie bashing. However, time to annoy some of you.   Kirby - great comics, loads of excitement, new techniques and one of the greats -  but is he really in the top 5 of (American) comic book or strip artists?  I ask because the admittedly fast flash of a lot of his work really dazzles and can influence perceptions.  I feel that lots of work by Alex Toth, Joe Kubert, Lou Fine, Jack Cole, Milton Caniff, Alex Raymond, Noel Sickles and a few others, even Ditko at his best, is of a higher technical quality, in my opinion, not that it's worth much.  Still, it's very rarified company and we should all be grateful for the huge amount of entertainment Kirby provided.
ip icon Logged

Komandi

message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 05:14:56 PM »

Kirby - great comics, loads of excitement, new techniques and one of the greats -  but is he really in the top 5 of (American) comic book or strip artists?  I ask because the admittedly fast flash of a lot of his work really dazzles and can influence perceptions. 

IMO - I think Kirby absolutely deserves the #1 spot because of his REAL skill, which has always been imaginative story-telling (as opposed to rote-penciling).  I doubt the Silver Age would have amounted to very much without him (and Stan, of course). 

I've been looking at some of the Blue Bolt stuff and it's really wild how his style has changed that much through the years.  It was like he was just aping everyone else in the golden age, but really broke-out-of-the-mold in the 60's. 

ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 06:11:30 PM »

The main point about Kirby is that apart from being an artist he was also a CREATOR and many of his characters are cornerstones of both the Marvel and DC Universes.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Komandi

message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 07:17:47 PM »

Supposedly, it blew Stan Lee away when his two-page story about the FF fighting a demi-God came back drawn with a strange naked guy riding a surfboard in it. 

:)

ip icon Logged

arghhh

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: arghhh
message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »

Also, Kirby dots - no decent, selfrespecting comic book energy would dream of being seen without it. ;D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »

Interesting views all round.  Take the point about Kirby being a creator of great characters but I ask the following in a spirit of mischief rather than anything else, where is Joe Simon in all this creative endeavour?  O.K. I know he wasn't involved in the Marvel stuff.  Another reason is to point out that the guys I mentioned earlier aren't usually considered as rote pencillers and in the cases of Raymond and Toth especially, a lot of their output was self created, written and drawn.  The reason for all these different opinions is subjectivity, or, we know what we like and it's probably different from the next person.  So, I went and dug out some Rip Kirby and some Toth and reread bits and to me it's wonderful. I regularly re-read this stuf and hardly ever go back to read Kirby - dots and all.  Nice one.  Confession time, I was never a big Surfer fan.  Loved The Inhumans early on but could never stand Namor -or for that matter the other finny freaks.
Imaginative story telling also lies in the works of the above and with Caniff  and Lee Falk to name but 2. And that's without going to non- American ceators and artists. So many views, so many comics.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 07:35:12 PM »

Interesting views all round.  Take the point about Kirby being a creator of great characters but I ask the following in a spirit of mischief rather than anything else, where is Joe Simon in all this creative endeavour?  O.K. I know he wasn't involved in the Marvel stuff.  Another reason is to point out that the guys I mentioned earlier aren't usually considered as rote pencillers and in the cases of Raymond and Toth especially, a lot of their output was self created, written and drawn.  The reason for all these different opinions is subjectivity, or, we know what we like and it's probably different from the next person.  So, I went and dug out some Rip Kirby and some Toth and reread bits and to me it's wonderful. I regularly re-read this stuf and hardly ever go back to read Kirby - dots and all.  Nice one.  Confession time, I was never a big Surfer fan.  Loved The Inhumans early on but could never stand Namor -or for that matter the other finny freaks.
Imaginative story telling also lies in the works of the above and with Caniff  and Lee Falk to name but 2. And that's without going to non- American ceators and artists. So many views, so many comics.

If you ever get a chance to compare Blue Bolt #1 with Blue Bolt #2, paw, you'll see what Simon contributed... As for your Toth comment, I disagree. Only a small percentage of Toth's output was self-created. The first 20+ years of his career were the most prolific and virtually none of it was his creation.

Plus, I draw a tremendous distinction between newspaper comic strips and comic books and don't believe that they are comparable art forms, no matter how many characteristics they share.

my 2
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »

Point taken. Desperately trying to access B.B. Probably should have looked before opening my mouth. I should point out that my first exposure to Rip Kirby, and to The Phantom, for that matter, was in comics form.  In Britain, Rip Kirby appeared in a series in Super Detective Library (pocket sized editions) and The Phantom in imported Australian Frew comics and L. Miller publications.  Only much later did I find newspaper reprints of these titles. My first exposure to Jack Kirby was Private Strong, which had a huge effect on me (American comics were almost impossible to find before 1959) and then there was the F.F. And,as I said previously, despite loving it at the time, I don't go back and re-read The F.F or much other early Marvel stuff -apart from Ditko's Spiderman.  I do re read and love stuff by all the others I mention and,  just to add a touch of  foreign to the discussion, also Hugo Pratt.  I don't want to confuse anyone so go and have a look at Pratt's work - not only Corto Maltese.  Pratt was a world class creator.
JVJ, you also confuse me slightly as comics and newspaper strips are very similar as far as I am concerned.  To a great extent, they are both balloon strips, as opposed to text strips which are and were very commom in Britain, Netherlands and Belgium (also at one time in U.S.A.) Is Jesse marsh's work in, say Carter of Mars, closer to a comic than a newspaper strip?  Not sure, personally, but keen to hear opinions.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 08:38:24 PM »

I do not mean to speak for JVJ but I believe I understand the distinction. The style of visual storytelling in a newspaper strip is much more condensed and confined than the ability to be more expansive in a comic book.

I also think that Simon added considerably to Kirby making his work much smoother and more fluid.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.