in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,842 books
 New: 96 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Holiday Comics 2

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Holiday Comics 2  (Read 79 times)

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Holiday Comics 2
« on: December 02, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »

This book reprints the cover of Star Publishing's original "Holiday Comics 2", but its inside pages are reprints of Star's original "Holiday Comics 4"(the original Star 1951 version of which is already uploaded on CB+).

Unfortunately, Grand Comics Database lists details of only the cover of Star's original 1951 "Holiday Comics 2", and not the inside pages. So, all I know that occupies the inside pages of that book is its first story starring "Baxter Koala".

A few years ago, I found an advert on The Internet with the original Star 1951 issue for sale, which had its front cover torn, with the top one-third of that page missing. The first inner page's top third was showing instead of the missing cover top portion. That page portion contained the splash panel logo including the story's title banner, which reads: "Baxter The Koala Bear visits America with Katie" His Pet Kookaboora Bird. Very little of the picture below shows, but it reveals a map of Australia with (ostensibly) Baxter wearing a Tam O' Shanter (cap) and superimposed over the map. Unfortunately, I cut off the portion of the attached original 1952 cover, but because the tear was uneven, enough of a strip was left to reveal the red balloon on the left side that sits just to the left of the rabbit (Billy Bunny) band major's swinging baton, including the 2 motion lines between. I've added my scan of it below, where you'll be able to compare it to the original 1951 cover, for confirmation that "Baxter Koala" is the first story in Star's original version. Notice that Baxter Koala is playing the drum on the original cover, and remember that he WASN'T one of Star's regular characters, so, that's more evidence that leads me to know I'm not making a mistake in surmising that it was this book's first story.
Here's "Baxter Koala's" first page Title Band:

Here's the original 1951 cover:

Link to the book: Holiday Comics 2
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 08:43:14 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.