in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

?Green Turtle? artist/creator Chu Hing

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: ?Green Turtle? artist/creator Chu Hing  (Read 1437 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
?Green Turtle? artist/creator Chu Hing
« on: December 17, 2020, 12:27:16 AM »

For those who read the info on Chu Hing, recently posted,

Alter Ego #167 (84 color pages) is a star-spangled salute to Syd Shores?Golden Age artist of Captain America, the All Winners Squad, Black Rider, Human Torch, The Vision, Black Knight, and Silver Age artist of Red Wolf, Frankenstein, Cracked, Creepy, Eerie, Web of Horror, et al. This issue, Syd is remembered by daughter Nancy Shores Karlebach, fellow artist Allen Bellman, Dr. Michael J. Vassallo, and interviewer Richard Arndt. Plus: mid-1940s ?Green Turtle? artist/creator Chu Hing, profiled by Alex Jay?John Broome?Michael T. Gilbert in Mr. Monster's Comic Crypt with Mort Weisinger, Part Two?and more! Edited by Roy Thomas. 

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
Re: ?Green Turtle? artist/creator Chu Hing
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 03:09:37 AM »

Might as well share this:

A picture of Chu Hing?s face at age 22:

Some data he gave to the Examining Inspector of the Immigration Service:

A painting he did in 1934:

Some features he was said to have worked on:

http://chimericaneyes.blogspot.com/2014/01/about-artist-chu-f-hing.html
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 04:45:53 AM »

Might as well share this:

A picture of Chu Hing?s face at age 22:

Some data he gave to the Examining Inspector of the Immigration Service:

A painting he did in 1934:

Some features he was said to have worked on:

http://chimericaneyes.blogspot.com/2014/01/about-artist-chu-f-hing.html

At one time the Chinese believed a person was one year old on the day of their birth. Never heard what their exact reasoning was.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 05:38:41 AM »

At one time the Chinese believed a person was one year old on the day of their birth. Never heard what their exact reasoning was.   

It must be that for any reincarnation (and, perhaps also first creation - IF all souls aren't eternal, and new ones are sometimes created), The Soul exists 3 months before it chooses its new body at the point of conception.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 09:10:46 AM »

This is still true in Korea - children are born at one and then become two on the next New Year - so it's possible that a child may be physically two days old but be called two in terms of years.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 11:52:18 AM »

This is good to read, I wasn't aware he had worked on so many other titles, this gives me more reading material.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »

This is still true in Korea - children are born at one and then become two on the next New Year - so it's possible that a child may be physically two days old but be called two in terms of years.

The Far Eastern tradition of considering the life of a Soul, is even more "pro-life", than the US Bible Belt Southern Baptist Pro Lifers, who use the point of conception!   ;D
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »

Seems that Hing drew Lucky Starr for Lucky Comics #1 (January, 1944), making it possibly one of his earliest comic book works.

Lucky Starrs ear from that issue:

An ear from the Green Turtle story in Blazing Comics #1 (June, 1944), also drawn as an *S* with the top of it drawn downwards:

The postman from Lucky Comics #1:

The guerrilla troop from Blazing Comics #3:

The gangster from Lucky Comics #1:

The general from Blazing Comics #3:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:39:49 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 02:32:27 PM »

As I've mentioned before, it's good to have an artist who can differentiate between different ethnicities within Asia. Some artists just have a generic Asian style.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »

Chu Hing was also said to have worked for Funnies Inc. from about 1943-1946, one of the comics Funnies supplied for being Yellowjacket Comics. Gerald Altman was said to have drawn the Filipino Kid for Yellowjacket Comics #1 (September, 1944), but the torii alone seems to indicate otherwise, in that Chu basically drew for the first Charlton comic book:

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 12:28:42 AM »

Well Spotted!
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 12:09:26 PM »

I just learned that a revival of this character was made a few years back:

http://page.macmillan.com/mcpg/shadowhero
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 12:42:04 PM »

Thank you for that tip Gregjh!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 03:35:16 PM »

There is another appearance of the Green turtle in a pocket size comic from Pulp Media.  He's the back up feature to Atom Robot Adventurer.  From the same insane people who brought you The Skull Killer.
https://poopsheetfoundation.com/index.php/pf-database/fanzines/atom-robot-adventurer-1
ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 10:20:13 PM »

http://page.macmillan.com/mcpg/shadowhero

I read it a few years ago and I enjoyed it very much. Also, I knew this was a thing before it was published in France - by Dargaud's imprint Urban Comics, in the Urban China collection - as I remember there was a crowfunding. Can't remember the year.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Green Turtle artist/creator Chu Hing
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 10:50:46 PM »

Not exactly a revival of the character but a Graphic Novel exploring the whole notion of being the first Chinese superhero in the US. I've tracked down a copy and its very good.
It's actually called, The Shadow Hero - for reasons made clear in the narrative.
The writer, Artist and Letterer are all Chinese. It's definitely a labour of love. 
The Author was Gene Luan Yang.
It's also worth it for the article on Chu Hing.
Among other things, he points out that Chu wanted the Turtle to be a Chinese superhero, but the publisher wasn't ready to do that. Therefore, the fact that we never see the Turtle's face implies that Chu Hing rebelled against the publishers stipulation and inferred that the Turtle was Chinese.
Cheers!     
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 02:28:21 AM »

I also enjoyed The Shadow Hero book.  If you can find it give it a read!

-yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.